IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

I figure the Dalek's selfdestruct system puts a field around itself for two reasons: to avoid any debris from being left behind which could be reverse engineered into a weapon, and to prevent any other Daleks which could be around it from taking any damage when it explodes.

Sophie Aldred, as I remembered at the time. Although Langford annoyed me too, just couldn't remember her as children's TV presenter.

OK that was crap, second most stupid thing posted on here.

Sylvester McCoy was a CTVP too you know...

Loved the whole museum at the start then the whole Cyberman scene. I know thats one scene on the DVD I'll be pausing and zooming in to try to spot everything. I'm sure I spotted an Alien egg and a full alien head.

It wasn't an Alien head (the face was all wrong, though the shape of the skull and the detailing on it was very similar) but it was definitely an Alien egg. It was arguably the best Alien-related moment on screen in almost 20 years...

It wasn't an Alien head (the face was all wrong, though the shape of the skull and the detailing on it was very similar) but it was definitely an Alien egg. It was arguably the best Alien-related moment on screen in almost 20 years...

Better than the Alien head in P2? I doubt it ...

Given that lead to the abomination that was AvP, your example is considered null and void. Do not pass Go, do not collect £200.

This logic seems to be commonplace round here, the idea that something rather excellent can be sullied by a shit follow up (see kerraig's reluctance to see Land Of The Dead in case it's not as good as the previous films and the classic anti-remake argument).

IMO, when something is great (which the alien skull reveal in Predator 2 clearly is) no amount of follow up twaddle can tarnish it.

Pish like....24? West Wing? Sopranos? Six Feet Under?

Jesus Christ.....

What?

I'm sorry Doctor Who is Sci-Fi Comedy which I don't believe any of those shows are. It's like saying that Schindler's List isn't a very good action film because Die Hard is way better.

This logic seems to be commonplace round here, the idea that something rather excellent can be sullied by a shit follow up (see kerraig's reluctance to see Land Of The Dead in case it's not as good as the previous films and the classic anti-remake argument).

IMO, when something is great (which the alien skull reveal in Predator 2 clearly is) no amount of follow up twaddle can tarnish it.

Don't silly, dear, it was only a harmless throwaway comment.

Last night Outpost Gallifrey had a moderated chat with Rob Shearman, writer of Dalek. He got asked at one point about the "Bad Wolf" references and was it going anywhere, RobS replied that he hadn't actually called the helicopter that in his script and that RTD had sneaked it in there. He's been doing that a lot for a laugh apparantly and whether its going anywhere only RTD knows!

Given that lead to the abomination that was AvP, your example is considered null and void. Do not pass Go, do not collect £200.

But you wouldn't have the game either. Anyway, don't go sullying the thread with your prejudices.

D'you think they're going all out to attract a female following?

barrowman3.jpg

he's actually bi in the show and gay in real life as well ;) He's supposed to be a very highly respected Theatre actor is John Barrowman

Rob in his chat on OG also admits that his script had the dalek destroyed at the end. He was suprised at the way it was filmed. He wouldnt admit whether it had destroyed itself or not. It didnt IMO

I watched the Dalek episode for a second time this morning off the Sky +. On my first viewing I thought it was a good episode but maybe the hype of seeing a Dalek again got to me and I thought it could have been better.

After watching it again though I can't see how they could have done it better, it was pretty darn perfect.

Been a while since I could get on the forum. Anyway, I'm still in two minds about this. Like Darren, I think it would've been ace if the Dalek had been the new companion. I think the thing about Rose having the DNA of a time traveller was a bit rubbish. I'd think twice about time travelling if it was going to alter my DNA and I'm still not sure about the Free Willy ending or "EL-E-VATE!".

But it was surprisingly touching and it would suck if that was the last of the Daleks (I try not to read spoilers).

I still haven't seen a Dalek travel at 2000 mph like the Dr Who Annual said back in about 1978. I feel cheated.

One of the most entertaining things I've watched on TV for a long time. The episodes just keep on geting better, wonderful.

Thank fuck it hasn't turned in to the join the dots American teen TV show that so many detractors wanted it to become.

he's actually bi in the show and gay in real life as well :( He's supposed to be a very highly respected Theatre actor is John Barrowman

Rob in his chat on OG also admits that his script had the dalek destroyed at the end. He was suprised at the way it was filmed. He wouldnt admit whether it had destroyed itself or not. It didnt IMO

Is he going to try and chat up the Doctor? ;)

Talking of gayness, here's something my friend pointed out to me. You'll notice that Billie Pipers character in the show is called Rose Tyler. Apparently this is a deliberate ploy on the behalf of RTD as he always includes a character in the stuff he writes with the second name Tyler, after an ex-boyfriend or something. The only other example I can think of being Vince from Queer as Folk, but there you go!

What?

I'm sorry Doctor Who is Sci-Fi Comedy which I don't believe any of those shows are. It's like saying that Schindler's List isn't a very good action film because Die Hard is way better.

No no no , you misunderstand. This is what I was responding to:

not everyone can stomach the pish that the US networks churn out, if youre young and growing up with it then it probably appears brilliant, but that doesn't mean it is & will have the same effect on everyone.

Had nothing to do with Who at all, just that ridiculous comment above.

In other news, I watched the repeat last night. If only the second half of that ep was as good as the first half... Kinda illustrates the problem with British telly at the moment: We do set-up, drama and performance really well, but when it comes to balls-to-the-wall action, we're amateurs.

Doctor Who obviously wasn't trying to go for 'balls to the wall action', though. Whatever 'balls to the wall action' actually is.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said "balls to the wall". I should have said, "Action of any kind". That scene where the Dalek takes down all those troops by electrifying the water wasn't edited together at all well, IMO. The pistols sounded like cap guns, there was no tension there at all and little energy. The first scene between Ecclestone and the Dalek though, now THAT was tense.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said "balls to the wall". I should have said, "Action of any kind". That scene where the Dalek takes down all those troops by electrifying the water wasn't edited together at all well, IMO. The pistols sounded like cap guns, there was no tension there at all and little energy. The first scene between Ecclestone and the Dalek though, now THAT was tense.

Disagree thought DALEK was the one of the better directed and edited tales.

Loved it when he's banging on the door in panic. So excellent :)

Sylvester McCoy was a CTVP too you know...

I remembered him in that "choose the next bit of the story" thing, which I can't remember the name of or see on IMDB. The other stuff seems before my time/didn't watch it/can't remember at the time.

Just saw this http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0566809/board/nest/11833866

What's the Story?

Edited by Dalvado