IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

Disagree thought DALEK was the one of the better directed and edited tales.

Loved it when he's banging on the door in panic. So excellent :)

I agree, the directing was far better, it helps when the director hasn't had a history doing Holby City and other mediocre dramas.

I think the only real consistant weak spot is Murray Gold's music. He's all right with the slower stuff - in a generic kind of way - but when it comes to his high tempo stuff he just can't do it. I can't place it but it seems just not right, some of it seems too much like cheapo children's TV music played on a binatone or something.

I saw Legopolis yesterday, pretty decent end to Tom Baker's reign. Looks like I'll have to stomach that annoying Aussie girl though and more Adric with Davison. Just one question which my mum hasn't answered for me. Why does The Master like turning people into little dolls? Is there some kind of secret he's kept from everyone?

Sorry, I shouldn't have said "balls to the wall". I should have said, "Action of any kind". That scene where the Dalek takes down all those troops by electrifying the water wasn't edited together at all well, IMO. The pistols sounded like cap guns, there was no tension there at all and little energy. The first scene between Ecclestone and the Dalek though, now THAT was tense.

That's what guns REALLY sound like.

Hmm. Didn't quite work for me, so I'm a bit disappointed. I agree with the people who said they really liked the first half and the second half not so much. Maybe I'm just disappointed that my expectations of the Dalek going mental and killing everyone in Utah turned into one of those things where the evil robot says "Tell me some more about this thing you call... love". Still, there's no way that's the obvious teleportation / time travelling bubble is the Dalek killing himself, so perhaps there's some nefarious subtleties I'm missing. The Doctor should have shot him while he had the chance.

BTW, did anyone catch Logopolis this morning?

I've just watched it on download. Lots to like, but I'm surprised that there are so many slow bits and amateurish bits. The Master's silly laugh got on my wick. All of the clever-clever sciency stuff that I thought was really smart when I was a kid turned out to be mostly made up waffle. In fact, the whole thing made less sense than I assumed it did when I was trying to follow it as a boy. Tom Baker looked a bit weary of the whole thing.

Next stop: Castrovalva. I only realised a few years ago that there is an Escher picture called Castrovalva. Repeating spaces like in Escher pictures and that Dr Who story were recurring nightmares for me, so I'm looking forward to watching it again.

No no no , you misunderstand. This is what I was responding to:
not everyone can stomach the pish that the US networks churn out, if youre young and growing up with it then it probably appears brilliant, but that doesn't mean it is & will have the same effect on everyone.

Had nothing to do with Who at all, just that ridiculous comment above.

Ridiculous comment? You're now saying it's ridiculous that not everyone can like US TV? What a prat.

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Best things for me:

The seriousness of the dialogue.

The un-silliness of the Dalek.

The way they handled the whole "Dalek discovers emotion" whilst avoiding the whole star Trek "What is this thing called...love?" cliché. (Sorry Graham, couldn't agreee less with you there).

The fallibility and aggression of the Doctor.

The FX.

The Dalek design. The same as before, but better.

The Cyberman Head.

I could go on, and no doubt will later on. Unlike the other episodes, I could find no fault with this. Davros is pleased...

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Best things for me:

The seriousness of the dialogue.

The un-silliness of the Dalek.

The way they handled the whole "Dalek discovers emotion" whilst avoiding the whole star Trek "What is this thing called...love?" cliché. (Sorry Graham, couldn't agreee less with you there).

The fallibility and aggression of the Doctor.

The FX.

The Dalek design. The same as before, but better.

The Cyberman Head.

I could go on, and no doubt will later on. Unlike the other episodes, I could find no fault with this. Davros is pleased...

Heh glad to hear it, does this mean Cassidy who placed his faith in the series being great, a long time ago is correct then? You all thought I was setting myself up for a fall. You was wrong, New Who rocks :angry:

do you trust the dalek DSD? Did it destroy itself. Not bloody likely is my opinion.

Heh glad to hear it, does this mean Cassidy who placed his faith in the series being great, a long time ago is correct then? You all thought I was setting myself up for a fall. You was wrong, New Who rocks :angry:

do you trust the dalek DSD? Did it destroy itself. Not bloody likely is my opinion.

Well, I was more concerned with getting myself all excited, then being disappointed. Yet again. They've mucked around with Who since the early 80's, so I'm sure you can see why I was dubious. After "Rose" I thought I was going to be proved right, but every episode since has been fantastic, so consider my words gladly eaten! :wub:

I thought the Dalek was a cunning bugger who then found himself "infected" with emotion. So I think the self destruct was genuine. Otherwise, why wouldn't he just activate it earlier?

Oh, and I caught the end of Logopolis (GF watched it all, heh!). I've seen it loads - not one of the best stories, but lots of memorable bits from my childhood, plus my favourite regeneration scene. I love the shot where the camera descends towards the Doctor along with the incidental music.

By the way, did anyone else notice that when the Master is watching The Doctor crawl along the walkway, they used a still of Anthony Ainley!

It doesn't need to, it's an un-stoppable killing machine.

I liked Sylv's descprition on Saturdays DWC, he described it as a Tank that can get into your house.

Wonder what the actual Death count was Saturday must be in triple figures. Oh and cant believe your all so easily won over by a little bit of emotion by the dalek.

IT LIES.

I was well impressed with the effects when the bullets were melting before hitting it. That was a serious "whoa.." moment, all things considered.

This is the best thing on TV right now. It's the first thing on TV that I actually set out to watch since The Office. When each episode finished I can't wait for the next one.

The thing is, I'm not sure why... the acting can be laughable, the writing can sometimes be a joke... the effects can be embarassing... I can't even think up any positives right now. God knows what makes it so brilliant. It just is.

Oh and cant believe your all so easily won over by a little bit of emotion by the dalek.

IT LIES.

I was waiting all episode for the big reveal where it showed it had been manipulating them all along. After all, it seemed to have been doing that when it persuaded Rose to touch it. But it never came. Perhaps that revelation is being saved for a later episode. Maybe it wanted to convince the Doctor it was dead in order to give it a free hand to prepare its plan to conquer the universe.

I was waiting all episode for the big reveal where it showed it had been manipulating them all along. After all, it seemed to have been doing that when it persuaded Rose to touch it. But it never came. Perhaps that revelation is being saved for a later episode. Maybe it wanted to convince the Doctor it was dead in order to give it a free hand to prepare its plan to conquer the universe.

Nah, it got the energy it needed from her DNA, then it became infected and started to question itself. It couldn't manipulate them any further because it was fucked up. It was a neat resolution to the story, and IMO needs no further analysing than that.

Edit - There was already a perfectly good reveal when it stitched Rose up initially. They didn't need to pull the same trick twice.

That might just mean that The Doctor goes back (in time), not that the Daleks come back... if you see what I mean :angry:

True true

But why would he go back to the middle of the Time War? Isn't that impossible?

No idea. But I could see why he'd want to go back. The Dalek basically calling him a coward really got to him... he seems to feel pretty shit with himself that he was the only survivor of his race so maybe blames himself and wants to go back to try to fix things.

But yeah, dunno if that's possible.

No idea. But I could see why he'd want to go back. The Dalek basically calling him a coward really got to him... he seems to feel pretty shit with himself that he was the only survivor of his race so maybe blames himself and wants to go back to try to fix things.

But yeah, dunno if that's possible.

I dunno to be honest, I'm not down with all this Dr Who geekery - I'm a newcomer to the table of nerd

All this time war stuff confuses me. Didn't someone in this thread say that the timelords and the daleks were wiped out throughout time? They even used some made up word like "Ftoomed" to describe it. Like they don't exist at any point in time? I'm sure someone said that. But then what about the Dr. and that lone dalek in last week's episode?

All this time war stuff confuses me. Didn't someone in this thread say that the timelords and the daleks were wiped out throughout time? They even used some made up word like "Ftoomed" to describe it. Like they don't exist at any point in time? I'm sure someone said that. But then what about the Dr. and that lone dalek in last week's episode?

I said that that's what I'm assuming happened, but whether it did or not is neither here nor there because we still don't know.