IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

I wonder how the Dalek from this week's ep fits in chronologically and cannonically?

Assuming that the Dalek abilities from classic Who are taken into consideration in the new series then this Dalek would have to have been a later model than any we've seen before due to the abilities it had; after all, previous stories have had Daleks damaged by gunfire, man-handled and pushed around, as well as confused to the point of self-destruction by something as trivial as having their eyepiece covered. All pretty significant design flaws that have seemingly been overcome.

I can't remember: did the Dalek know of the time war that destroyed it's race before the Doctor told it? If not then it looks like we may yet have an opportunity to see further Dalek revisions in the final story.

Daleks can be great though, can't they? They're like the mutant offspring of a Nazi crossbred with a wasp.

After all, previous stories have had Daleks damaged by gunfire,  man-handled and pushed around, as well as confused to the point of self-destruction by something as trivial as having their eyepiece covered. All pretty significant design flaws that have seemingly been overcome.

On reflection I'm beginning to think the ability to absorb and use another being's DNA to rebuild it's own cellular structure is an incredibly large flaw in a creature bred to be and believe in its own racial superiority.

I'm probably thinking about it too hard...

On reflection I'm beginning to think the ability to absorb and use another being's DNA to rebuild it's own cellular structure is an incredibly large flaw in a creature bred to be and believe in its own racial superiority.

I'm probably thinking about it too hard...

You have been thinking hard, but it does make sense. Maybe the Daleks store the DNA so they have a record of the race they've just wiped out.

Shamelessly stolen from a friend:

"I'M THE ONLY DALEK IN THE VILLAGE!"

"Look here Dav-Red, it says in the paper that a Dalek group meet in the

village hall on Wednesdays to 'plot the downfall of the Doc-Tor and the

subjugation of the human race', there you go!"

"I BET THEY WILL ALL BE IMPERIAL DALEKS, I'M NOT ONE OF THEM!"

What were you cringing at?

Admittedly it was probably more the acting than anything - the women doing the 'predator' on the stairs was woeful.

"You can't stop it!"

"But...someone has...to TRY!"

But I do think the Dalek turned 'humanesque' far too quickly. And it really wasn't very subtly done.

I think its worth mentioning that this is the largest thread ever in Film / TV....besides Big Brother 5.  :P

Then again, still 7 episodes to go - plenty of time. We're not even halfway there yet.

Luckily enough I'm not the top poster in the thread. .

That award goes to DSD :( followed by Jpickford. Their prize, the inability to ever call anyone a geek on this forum ever again ;)

Buffy - Neurotic teenager that can do martial arts, and has a habit of getting off with Vampires, with dodgy fashion sense.

Dr Who - all around cool dude, intelligent and can travel in time...god you'd think I fancy him the way I'm talking.

:wub:

Let's keep it going then. I started it after all*

* No doubt only because the forum had gone tits up that weekend and I was the first Doctor Who viewer to notice it was back up. :wub:

Hey, somebody had to start it. And it was you.

This thread (and obviously the new series) has sparked a light in me that I thought had gone out years ago.

I wonder how many other SF television projects will be greenlit by the success of Doctor Who? There could be some good times ahead for SF fans.

I also wonder how long it will take for another channel to shamelessly try and copy the format. "And now on ITV1 it's the new series about the time-travelling inventor, Professor Why..."

There is an interesting comment I read somewhere, about how the new series has not only proven that television SF can be popular amongst a general audience, but also that television drama can work in an early evening saturday slot that has for a long time been pretty much the sole domain of light entertainment and game-shows.

Fishy

All the need to do is bring back Vic & Bobs'  Family at War (not sure if thats the right name)  and Saturday Night TV will be perfect.

You forgot GLADIATORS with big John Fashanu but yeah, pretty much!

Whatever the resurrection of Doctor Who was meant to achieve, I think it's done it.

Saturday TV I actually look forward to watching.

That was the point of it coming back. Lorraine Hegessey wanted families to switch on and sit down together to watch TV on a Saturday night. Which they have.

I do love the fact head of ITV commented on Newsnight that he doesnt think such an audience exists anymore. Thats cos you drove em all away :P

It became apparent from the ratings and audience share with Ant and Dec that Who wasnt stealing A&D's viewers but was actually convincing people who werent watching Sat night telly to start watching instead.

The fact that Doctor Who is a focal point of Saturdays entertainment again proves the UK still has some sense IMO :rolleyes:

I personally love sitting down with the missus and my son at 7.00 p.m. on a Saturday and knowing we're going to be entertained for the next 45 mins that's bloomin marvellous. So it must be doing something right as my other half aint watched Who since the early 80's and is loving it as well. Yes even Billie :D

That is semi-wanking material at best. (When Kate Lawler is on).

I actually get quite turned on by girl on girl violence. I hope I'm not the only one?

No, you're really not. For me, celebrity wrestling is the best thing to happen to British TV in years (if I'm thinking with my secondary brain).