IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

but, he has the information to advance technology. Remember, he jacked himself into the system and specifically asked about computers.

which he cant remember or his head would have exploded.

hence the phonecall. hence the doctor blowing up the phone.

Never thought about the phone actually. Considering what it does he could phone the earth in the future and still get all the info he wanted if he knew the number.

Depends on what the phone actually does. I thought the phone behaved as though it was still on earth in the 21st Century, no matter where or when it really was. When you make a call with it, the time the call occurs on Earth (at the receiving end I mean) is based on the phones own timeline (or Roses).

But it seemed to connect to Adam's 'home' timeline which, don't forget, was 2012. I assume this was the year he was dropped back into, since his Mum didn't notice any change in his appearance. So we know the phone can call times other than 2005.

Actually the davros thing might be very close to the mark, what with the doctor's response to the technology on sight as being "wrong" and "backwards".

It wasn't that entertaining though. Initially I thought they'd landed in some sort of Blade Runner like scenario (only cheaper) and it was nothing like as interesting.

Strange how this episode seems to have everone split, some saying they loved it, some saying it was the worst episode yet. I thought it was perfectly fine. Obviously tough to follow the Dalek episode, but still good. The story was unoriginal, but I don't really care, it was simply good fun to watch.

As for the music being rubbish, I don't really follow that. I've never noticed it, and they say if you don't notice it, then it's doing its job.

So for me it's all looking fine in the world of Who. Next weeks episode looks like it could be really good too.

I think you'll find I said it was alright.

And, I think Adam got a "Type 2" headchip fitted.. effectivley making him a computer, able to communicate with satellites!

-The Doctor couldn't just leave him back on Earth with that in his head!

They covered all that when the doctor said all that "With that thing in your head they'd dissect you in seconds. You have to keep a very low profile, and lead a very sheltered life!" type stuff.

It was a bit weak, but it was deliberately put there as a "This is the last we will see of him, he won't become a baddy, he won't use his implant for anything" thing.

Good point.  That makes no sense then.

I think it just phones back to the natural timeline of whoever is using it. So it phones people at the time the dialler would have been at if they had never travelled through time. It probably uses some of that 'slightly psychic' type technology.

My natural place in time right now is Sunday 8th May 2005 at 14:17 BST. If I had travelled through time, and was now using the phone on 12th July 3008, it would dial the number through at my natural position in time.

They covered all that when the doctor said all that "With that thing in your head they'd dissect you in seconds.  You have to keep a very low profile, and lead a very sheltered life!" type stuff.

It was a bit weak, but it was deliberately put there as a "This is the last we will see of him, he won't become a baddy, he won't use his implant for anything" thing.

I think it just phones back to the natural timeline of whoever is using it.  So it phones people at the time the dialler would have been at if they had never travelled through time.  It probably uses some of that 'slightly psychic' type technology.

Or it's a red herring.

Watched Four to Doomsday on UK Gold this morning and was quite intrigued to see that the Urbankans appeared to have nicked a job-lot of desk lamps from Moonbase Alpha. ;)

Also Kato...er..Lin Futu's lab appeared to have a set of microfiche readers amongst the other "advanced" technology on view.

Enjoyed it though and preferred it to yesterday's Castrovalva. I actually laughed out loud when Tegan pushed Adrick over and he knocked himself unconcious on the furniture. Served him right for being a pain in the ass. :D

Plus the Aborigine's "Vic Reeves" style dance made me smile. I kept expecting the dancers to start rubbing their thighs...

Wait a sec... earth was supposedly 90 years behind the developmental stage it should've been at, because of that alien. And only the Doctor's intervention could get it back onto the right path.

Surely that implies that the alien was a time-traveller messing up the timeline? And neither the Doctor nor anyone else comment on this or that the Doctor's become some sort of time repair man?

Used his intelligence. Why else was that little twat in the chair?

Probably spotted the phone in the kid's hand over on monitor (when they're shown him hooked up) and put 2 and 2 together. Then checked the phone's dialling history.

Wait a sec... earth was supposedly 90 years behind the developmental stage it should've been at, because of that alien. And only the Doctor's intervention could get it back onto the right path.

Surely that implies that the alien was a time-traveller messing up the timeline? And neither the Doctor nor anyone else comment on this or that the Doctor's become some sort of time repair man?

Good point... I was going to make a post about how maybe Dr Who takes a loose interpretation of the meaning of a timeline, but I don't really see how you could explain the changing of a timeline other than someone who is also a timetraveller...

Good point... I was going to make a post about how maybe Dr Who takes a loose interpretation of the meaning of a timeline, but I don't really see how you could explain the changing of a timeline other than someone who is also a timetraveller...

The original idea in Doctor Who was that you couldn't change time in any meaningful sense - the entire weight of history presses back on you. It would also make things like Time War or the Daleks actually managing it a big, big event.

This is so much neater of dealing with things than the Star Trek style Timelines and so different from all other sci-fi that the preview of next weeks episode has really disappointed me.

I don't understand...

In this weeks epsisode the Doctor talks about events as if they aren't what they should be - as if an outside force has tampered with the timelne (that being the series of events which are accepted as the natural progression of history as it 'should' have occured). What else could have been the reason for things to have been changed beyond what they 'should' have been, save for another time-travelling mixer?