IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

• 2 weeks later...

Officially from BBC

Plans for new Torchwood revealed

The new series of sci-fi show Torchwood will follow a single adventure instead of individual storylines, the BBC says.

Torchwood: Children Of Earth sees the team battling for the future of the human race against the fiercest force they have encountered.

"This series is one big serial and the most ambitious story we've ever made," writer Russell T Davies said.

Filming for the five-part series, which is due to be broadcast in 2009, has already begun in Cardiff.

John Barrowman will star as Captain Jack Harkness with Eve Myles - as Gwen Cooper - and Gareth David-Lloyd - as Ianto Jones - also returning in the third series of the Doctor Who spin-off.

"The new series of Torchwood is hugely bold and promises to be bigger and better than ever - the audience is in for an amazing ride," Davies said.

Julie Gardner, head of drama for BBC Wales, said: "We hope to make Torchwood a gripping and surprising TV event with storylines that push our team into greater danger and sacrifice."

The second series of the hit drama, which has been sold to more than 20 countries, attracted audiences of about 3.4 million when it was broadcast on BBC Two earlier this year.

Notice the absence of Martha :(

Quick heads up, classic who on sci fi channel this weekend. Mainly Tom Baker and Peter Davison one's. So far Pyramids of Mars, Face of Evil and Revenge of the Cybermen have been shown. Up this evening is earthshock and warriors of the deep.

I PVR'd about 6 of them which should keep me going for some time. Got through Logopolis last night which was suitably psychadelic. Face of Evil was pretty amazing too. Oddly, it's not the massively sexist thing you expect all 70s and 80s TV to be. Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen Logopolis all the way through. Everyone's seen the last 10 minutes or so as it turns up on clip shows all the time, but I definitely don't remember the Roger Delgado Master origin story from it which was pretty good. It's a wonder that Nyssa didn't just go completely mental at the end of the story.

They never really handled Nyssa's character very well -

oh your dad's dead, his body has been posessed by this villain we keep running into constantly, whoops you're planet's been destroyed as well

, let's not mention it again and get on with our adventures shall we? The only nod is in Castrovalva (I think) where she says 'I hate that face' when the Master appears on the scanner.

The wife watched Caves of Androzani with me on Monday. She's not really into old Who but I had to laugh just after Peter's regeneration into Colin. I've always thought it was a pretty awesome introduction to a new doctor. Her reaction: "He seems like a dick."

The wife watched Caves of Androzani with me on Monday. She's not really into old Who but I had to laugh just after Peter's regeneration into Colin. I've always thought it was a pretty awesome introduction to a new doctor. Her reaction: "He seems like a dick."

We watched it again as well. Always lives up to my expectations.

And then, as your wife rightly noted, it all went horribly wrong...

So they are effectively cutting back on Torchwood?

Remember that next year is when the Who production team is taking some time off to prepare for Moffet's reign. So they're only doing the same with Torchwood as they are with Who's specials. If they're successful, expect normal service to resume in 2010.

• 2 weeks later...

Some bad news and some good news:

Catherine Tate and John Simm will return to Doctor Who next year.

Tate will reprise her role as assistant Donna Noble for one of the four specials planned for next year, while Life On Mars star Simm will return as villainous Time Lord The Master.

A Who source told The Sun: "Fans will be delighted to see Catherine back. She was one of the wackiest companions of all time and she brought heaps of humour. And it's great to have John back - he and David Tennant have a real nemesis chemistry."

Veteran actor Bernard Cribbins will also be back to play Donna's grandfather Wilf.

Tate, whose character's memory was wiped in last year's series finale, earlier expressed her desire to return to the cult show, saying: "In science fiction, anything is possible."

Quelle surprise.

Some bad news and some good news:

Catherine Tate and John Simm will return to Doctor Who next year.

Tate will reprise her role as assistant Donna Noble for one of the four specials planned for next year, while Life On Mars star Simm will return as villainous Time Lord The Master.

A Who source told The Sun: "Fans will be delighted to see Catherine back. She was one of the wackiest companions of all time and she brought heaps of humour. And it's great to have John back - he and David Tennant have a real nemesis chemistry."

Veteran actor Bernard Cribbins will also be back to play Donna's grandfather Wilf.

Tate, whose character's memory was wiped in last year's series finale, earlier expressed her desire to return to the cult show, saying: "In science fiction, anything is possible."

Quelle surprise.

Well, at least there'll be an interesting baddy... Davros was fucking trash. Just like the episodes he was in, in fact.

An open fridge is more chilling than Davros.

Do you dislike all of his appearances then? Including Genesis of the Daleks?

If so, you're surely in one of the most minor of minorities.

A Doctor Who film in the right hands might be great, but imagine one of the recent 3-part stories in film form and try not to shudder.