IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

I was wondering what you and Linkster thought of the new series Holly. How has it been going down?

In summary - Matt Smith great so far - he feels more "alien" than David Tennant ever did and he's been a nice welcome break from all the over-acting. Writing generally much better (even if he does seem to be borrowing from his own previous episodes a bit too much - was ANYONE who'd seen Girl In The Fireplace surprised when he wasn't back in five minutes...), but Mark Gatiss needs shooting. The whole Dalek episode was just dreadful (well, okay, with the possible exception of "YOU DO NOT REQUIRE TEA?"). And weeping angels still awesome - we both loved the whole sequence with the TV. Including, actually, the very first shot of it when it was in the "weeping" position - love the fact that they are instantly so menacing when you know what they are.

:facepalm::wub:

weeping_angel.jpg

The Weeping Angels have got to be the greatest and scariest baddy in Sci-Fi for years. Including Aliens and all that... proper Sci-Fi. They are utterly terrifying and so brilliantly conceived.

I love how they now have a way to communicate - and it's in such a horrible and menacing way.

Brilliant stuff.

This can't be quoted enough either

There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... Me

I think he's only going to get better the longer he stays in the role too.

It does sometimes catch me unawares though that he's younger than I am. Occasionally, just occasionally, it doesn't seem right.

I imagine many older fans went through the same thing when Davison was cast in the 80's.

No Earthshock vibe from the episode for you DSD?

I agree, although again Moffat has ripped himself off on that score (The "Hey, who turned out the lights" stuff).

I thought it was just different enough not to be annoying though.

The others used the people's "voice", speaking but just sounding like them.

This is literally using Bob. It doesn't just sound like him. It has his personality, while talking for the Angels.

It's almost scarier.

But

the Angels were clearly playing him!

I know right! River even said what they were doing.

he really does come over as older than both Eccles and Tennant... I think it's a combination of the clothes and the less gurny and more serious tone he can take every now and again.

But

the Angels were clearly playing him!

perhaps... but didn't stop that one scene being utterly amazing.

he really does come over as older than both Eccles and Tennant... I think it's a combination of the clothes and the less gurny and more serious tone he can take every now and again.

The fact he keeps calling "Pond" by her last name, makes him feel more like a teacher to me

Another great line from the episode: "Aren't they all dead?" "So's Virginia Woolf, I'm on her bowling team." :)

And as Paul Cornell pointed out: "The Master lands his Tardis with brakes on too. Maybe the Doctor taught him to drive." ;)

(even if he does seem to be borrowing from his own previous episodes a bit too much - was ANYONE who'd seen Girl In The Fireplace surprised when he wasn't back in five minutes...),
I agree, although again Moffat has ripped himself off on that score (The "Hey, who turned out the lights" stuff).

That's Miles's Moffat Times Table for ya...

That was fucking ACE. Brilliant stuff, all round. The only downside was the fact that the 51st-century soldiers didn't look very futuristic at all. I realise Who doesn't have much of a budget, but they could surely have had a go at doing some space soldiers.

:hat: They had P90-esque guns! Isn't that futuristic enough?

Yes, Doctor Who The Vengeful God was a dubious idea to begin with but somewhere around the 800th time it was rolled out at the climax of an episode I decided I'd had enough.

Yes, but this is Doctor Who, The Vengeful God, about to look ridiculous as he does precisely what the bad guys intended...

There are too many people in this thread trying to pick holes in the science of a TV series about a magic man in a flying phone box.

Not realllllllly. People aren't moaning an awful lot about the latest ep at all.

Wouldn't River have frozen quite a bit when she was sent out of the space ship? Took a while for the Tardis to appear to do that whole safety perimeter thingy :wub:

Doesn't she say something like " I'll also need an air tunnel" to the doctor before blowing the air lock?

Doesn't she say something like " I'll also need an air tunnel" to the doctor before blowing the air lock?

Indeed she did. Although if she had a full air tunnel then she wouldn't have been sucked out of the airlock when she blew the door. But I'm not sure how freezing in space works, it's mainly a vacuum so I'd have thought it would be insulative like a thermos flask...

Watched it again last night and I love how they've started using the eighties sound effects for the TARDIS controls and materialisation. There was a proper Five Doctors noise when they first landed on the planet.

It made me happy.