IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

So, do all the Time Lords have titles as names then? The Doctor. The Master. Is there The Mistress? The Dame? The Clergyman? The Banker?

One of the many excellent eighth doctor cartoon strips had the piss take of "the beige gaurdian'. They'd based him on Niles from Fraser, "that was a bad day alright, green and red wouldn't stop laughing in the corner at me"...

http://nzdwfc.tetrap.com/archive/tsv58/g/hdd-3.gif

So, do all the Time Lords have titles as names then? The Doctor. The Master. Is there The Mistress? The Dame? The Clergyman? The Banker?

They all have "normal" names too, but they use titles for everyone except those closest to them. That's why it was such a big deal when River revealed that she knew the Doctor's real name.

The Doctor, the Master, the Rani, the Valeyard, the Meddling Monk...isn't it just Rassilon and Romana that we know who don't bother with that shit?

Are they their actual names though? I always assumed they were chosen names too, just less pretentious ones.

EDIT: That said, where does Susan fit into all this? :P

BBC responds to complaints over last weeks fuck up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/response/2...hamnorton.shtml

The Over the Rainbow trail in Doctor Who should not have played out on Saturday and we apologise to all Doctor Who fans whose enjoyment of the show was disrupted. We recognise the strength of feeling that has been expressed and are taking steps to ensure that this mistake will not happen again.

I watched a Classic Who I'd never seen before this week, thanks to the cheap prices on iTunes. The Aztecs with William Hartnell.

It is absolutely astonishing.

What I love about it is that there is one, seemingly simple problem that the Tardis Crew have to solve - how to get back through a tomb door to the Tardis. But spiralling out from that one issue is a nightmare scenario with a real sense of danger to it. Human sacrifice, punishment by "thorns" for speaking out against arranged marriage, plot and counter plot. Every time you think they have got themselves out of a situation, some new problem arises. I was genuinely tense watching the last episode.

It also has some great handling of the old "You can't change history" message, with Barbara almost drunk with power at the thought that she can change a society so obviously cruel to modern eyes. The scenes with The Doctor being first angry at her for interfering, then consoling, are pure magic.

Then you have a great pantomime villain in the form of Tlotoxl:

[yt]QhBq3mokVwU[/yt]

Plus The Doctor gets engaged by mistake!

(Don't kill me for this post)

I've only seen some of the new episodes (Ecclestone onward). Shall I watch the old stuff? Or did you 'have to be there'? I'm very open to good drama and storytelling in any format and style, however dated.

(Don't kill me for this post)

I've only seen some of the new episodes (Ecclestone onward). Shall I watch the old stuff? Or did you 'have to be there'? I'm very open to good drama and storytelling in any format and style, however dated.

I wasn't alive in 1963 you know! :quote:

Yeah, you should definitely watch the old stuff. The best of the Classic Series is still better than the best of the New Series, IMO.

You should check out, in no particular order:

Horror of Fang Rock (Tom Baker)

Caves of Androzani (Peter Davison)

Robots of Death (Tom Baker)

The Aztecs, as mentioned above (William Hartnell)

Inferno (Jon Pertwee)

Pyramids of Mars (Tom Baker)

The Invasion (Patrick Troughton)

I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy at least a couple of those. I wouldn't bother watching any Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy (with the possible exception of Ghost Light)

I wasn't alive in 1963 you know! :wub:

Yeah, you should definitely watch the old stuff. The best of the Classic Series is still better than the best of the New Series, IMO.

You should check out, in no particular order:

Horror of Fang Rock (Tom Baker)

Caves of Androzani (Peter Davison)

Robots of Death (Tom Baker)

The Aztecs, as mentioned above (William Hartnell)

Inferno (Jon Pertwee)

Pyramids of Mars (Tom Baker)

The Invasion (Patrick Troughton)

I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy at least a couple of those. I wouldn't bother watching any Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy (with the possible exception of Ghost Light)

Could I also add -

The Ark In Space (Tom Baker)

The Sontaran Experiment (Tom Baker)

Genesis Of The Daleks (Tom Baker)

The Talons Of Weng Chiang (Tom Baker)

The Silurians (Jon Pertwee)

The Unearthly Child (William Hartnell)

The Curse of Fenric (Sylvester McCoy - the only one of his I like really)

City of Death (Tom Baker)

All these are avaiable on DVD or iTunes and the bolded titles are some of my absolutely favourite Doctor Who stories.