IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

I'm still watching it but I'm not sure why. It seems to be treading a line of inoffensive professionalism - kind of midway between Torchwood 1 & 2 (offensively dreadful) and Children of Earth (best it could probably ever be).

It's clearly going to build towards a Oswald Danes/Captain Jack final showdown which will be hamstrung by Barrowman's total lack of range. His 'emote level: appalled' face in ep 3 when Pullman was shocking him by describing his crime was amazing. Someone needs to make a gif of it.

Cobbling together a few tweets I wrote last night:

'Torchwood Ep 4 better, but still well uneven. At times it's amateurishly silly, like GCSE English homework. But that's RTD for you. Russell T Davies is basically Tom Hanks from Big in a state of flux. He flits between adult and kid in every scene. Sometimes he writes like I would have when I was 13 (the plot stuff). Then he hits you with an awesome character moment out of nowhere. And yes, I know Torchwood has a writers' room, but RTD's rewrite footprints seem obvious in every episode.'

You get this from reading The Writer's Tale book as well. He's very, very knowledgeable about so many aspects of writing, but then some of what he actually puts on the page is godawful childish crap that would disgrace a schoolkid. And then in the very next scene he'll write something massively mature and heartrending. Soooooo schizophrenic.

I think the problem (for me) with Torchwood is that this series has more in common with Spooks/Holby City/24 than it does with Dr Who. It's silly, but not in the right way.

If it turns out that it was all a Slitheen pharmaceutical money making scam, I think Torchwood will be finished in the US and our skies will be full of UAVs bombing the shit out of anything with Dr Who plastered on it.

Cobbling together a few tweets I wrote last night:

'Torchwood Ep 4 better, but still well uneven. At times it's amateurishly silly, like GCSE English homework. But that's RTD for you. Russell T Davies is basically Tom Hanks from Big in a state of flux. He flits between adult and kid in every scene. Sometimes he writes like I would have when I was 13 (the plot stuff). Then he hits you with an awesome character moment out of nowhere. And yes, I know Torchwood has a writers' room, but RTD's rewrite footprints seem obvious in every episode.'

You get this from reading The Writer's Tale book as well. He's very, very knowledgeable about so many aspects of writing, but then some of what he actually puts on the page is godawful childish crap that would disgrace a schoolkid. And then in the very next scene he'll write something massively mature and heartrending. Soooooo schizophrenic.

This, I 100% agree with.

I will forever thankful for him bringing back Who, but he cannot write a plot for shit.

What I thought was particularly hamfisted was how the would-be assassin guy snuck up behind Eve Myles, and then a few minutes later pulled the exact same trick on Barrowman. Difference being that Barrowman really is thick as shit if he didn't realise that because SOMEONE TIED EVE MYLES UP, HE MAY STILL BE AROUND AND WANT TO DO THE SAME TO HIM, fnarr.

Also, Rex's injury gets worse and then better with no rhyme or reason whatsoever. And he's still delivering lines like someone in a school play pretending to be American, even though he's actually American.

Rex's injury makes no sense whatsoever.

In the first episode they say that normally he would have died, but due to the miracle they were able to perform the needed surgery that would otherwise have been impossible. Okay fair enough, that makes senses. Except in every episode after that he's got this massive gaping open chest wound. I suppose he could have burst his stitches in his comedy run from the hospital to Wales and not bothered to get it restitched, but I don't think that's what they're going for. With all his I'm a walking dead man look at my blood stained shirt a-bloo-bloo.

I suspect that the last episode they'll have to face the heart-rending decision to stop the miracle knowing it will kill Rex. Except nobody in the audience will care because he's a prick.

Mind you, I don't know why I'm looking for consistency or verisimilitude coming from a writer who seems to think that if Ian Huntley got out of prison on a technicality tomorrow he would become a (mostly) loved public figure if he cried a bit on This Morning.

People said CoE "wasn't Torchwood" - and to a certain extent they were right.

This is even less Torchwood than that though - hopefully the Jack stuff builds up to something.

Can someone explain why they're on the run (in a mini from the airport) - yet have all these servers, laptops, "magic" Torchwood software that can hack anything. Where did it all come from?

Rex's character - I realise they're trying to making him a "charming rogue", but either the writing or the acting (or both) isn't strong enough to convey that, so he's just an unlikeable.

It's neither good or bad - it's just dull. Even the "shocking" moments end up being dull because they're so sign posted or poorly executed.

The annoying thing is - there's a great Sci-fi premise underneath it all trying to get out. What if people stopped dying? For me the best moments have been when they've been discussing the implications of that.

Incidentally, they say that "everyone in Torchwood was killed" over and over again - weren't Mickey and Martha Jones in Torchwood at the end of David Tennant's Who run? Has RTD just killed two of the main characters from Doctor Who off-screen?

Incidentally, they say that "everyone in Torchwood was killed" over and over again - weren't Mickey and Martha Jones in Torchwood at the end of David Tennant's Who run? Has RTD just killed two of the main characters from Doctor Who off-screen?

They were fighting together, but it was never mentioned who for. There were rumours of them joining Children of Earth I think, but they were both too busy.

In much the same way as I used to enjoy turning off the every other episode of Voyager where they all got killed half way through and imagine they just all died in some stupid manner I'd like to think that Martha and Micky did get killed by the CIA, somehow, probably in slow motion with some cheesy synth orchestral thing playing in the background.

I know I'm probably missing the point, but aside from all the ace computer equipment they already have, where did they get that huge spare server? Did they just order it from Amazon?

Even my wife, who isn't into SF at all said 'God, it's Torchwood, just go with it.'

I also kept wanting someone to go up to the sinister skinny hitman with the black suit and huge sunglasses and say 'Excuse me, are you a baddie?'

This is probably another "God, it's Torchwood, just go with it" question. It was sparked by seeing a photo of Gwen, Jack and some blonde woman on a sun-kissed beach in America. Why the fuck is he still wearing that stupid coat everywhere he goes? It made sense in The Empty Child and you could kind of excuse it while he was in the Tardis immediately afterwards but now? I know Cardiff is in Wales and everything but I'm pretty sure they still have clothes shops.

You'd think that time-travelling insta-teleportation doohickey Jack wears on his wrist might have come in handy during all this. Nah I'll nick people's cars instead and stage dangerous plans to break into secure premises instead.

It was broken in Torchwood Season1 .The last time he met the Doctor (um...end of S4 2 parter? Forget it's name) it had been fixed, but the Doctor broke it again so Jack could only use it "One more time".

This is probably another "God, it's Torchwood, just go with it" question. It was sparked by seeing a photo of Gwen, Jack and some blonde woman on a sun-kissed beach in America. Why the fuck is he still wearing that stupid coat everywhere he goes? It made sense in The Empty Child and you could kind of excuse it while he was in the Tardis immediately afterwards but now? I know Cardiff is in Wales and everything but I'm pretty sure they still have clothes shops.

I watched it at a friend's and immediately asked the question same as you. Then there was an awkward silence as we both knew I am just as bad as Jack when it comes to wearing big snazzy coats in ridiculously unsuitable weather conditions.

Sometimes, you just need pockets, man.

I know I'm probably missing the point, but aside from all the ace computer equipment they already have, where did they get that huge spare server? Did they just order it from Amazon?

It was just a regular server, so probably, yes? How else do you think you buy servers?