IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

Last ever Sarah Jane Adventures this week. The filming of the series was done in 2 blocks, they never got to film the 2nd but interestingly the 2 episodes this week were always meant to be the last in the series - they must've known :(

In hindsight? It was rubbish enough at the time. Delete indeed. <_<

I thought at the time that it wasn't the best... But watching it yesterday, it really was awful. Acting was terrible, FX were terrible, story was terrible, script was terrible, camera work was terrible... It really demonstrated just how much it's come on over the last few years. Also watched the second epsiode, the one with Cassandra and the end of the world... That was rubbish as well.

I've been watching from the beginning of the 2005 series with my other half in a bid to get him caught up eventually. Some of it is really, really shocking. I see episodes like the Slitheen ones being next up and just cringe and think "maybe we should just skip to Dalek" etc.

Next up though is The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances :wub:

And I also got Season 6 on Blu-Ray for my birthday (the two volumes, the set as one isn't out yet).

"maybe we should just skip to Dalek" etc.

I watched that and was amazed how poorly it had aged.

The production values of the show (especially the last 2 series) are just leaps and bounds ahead of the RTD era stuff (although I'm not blaming RTD for it, just using him as a measurement!)

Last ever Sarah Jane Adventures this week. The filming of the series was done in 2 blocks, they never got to film the 2nd but interestingly the 2 episodes this week were always meant to be the last in the series - they must've known :(

It was weird watching it, bookended as it was by CBBC hijinks. I mean, I know it's a kid's show on a kid's channel, but did they really have to have on of the channel hosts dressing up as Sarah Jane Smith for a skit? I mean, Elisabeth Sladen died only recently, I would have thought they'd show a little more decorum than that.

It was also strange because the episode spoofed iPads and Steve Jobs. Weirdly uncomfortable viewing.

It was weird watching it, bookended as it was by CBBC hijinks. I mean, I know it's a kid's show on a kid's channel, but did they really have to have on of the channel hosts dressing up as Sarah Jane Smith for a skit? I mean, Elisabeth Sladen died only recently, I would have thought they'd show a little more decorum than that.

It was also strange because the episode spoofed iPads and Steve Jobs. Weirdly uncomfortable viewing.

Not caught up with it yet, but yeah, that skit sounds a bit out of place. Maybe they'll mention something before/after the last episode tonight.

They did put the tribute programme on CBBC instead of the main channel, which I thought was a nice touch - they didn't shy away from it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the film version is finally happening then:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118046098

LONDON — “Harry Potter” director David Yates is teaming up with the BBC to turn its iconic sci-fi TV series “Doctor Who” into a bigscreen franchise.Yates, who directed the last four Potter films, told Daily Variety that he is about to start work on developing a “Doctor Who” movie with Jane Tranter, BBC Worldwide’s L.A.-based exec VP of programming and production.”We’re looking at writers now. We’re going to spend two to three years to get it right,” he said. “It needs quite a radical transformation to take it into the bigger arena.”“Doctor Who” follows the adventures across space and time of a super-intelligent alien in human form, who battles a variety of cosmic bad guys aided by plucky human companions.”The notion of the time-travelling Time Lord is such a strong one, because you can express story and drama in any dimension or time,” Yates said.The series ran from 1963 to 1989, and then was successfully rebooted in 2005 by writer Russell T. Davies and subsequently by Steven Moffat (“The Adventures of Tintin”). Tranter oversaw the revival when she was the BBC’s drama topper in London.”Doctor Who,” starring Matt Smith as the 11th incarnation of the Doctor, is now one of the pubcaster’s most lucrative global TV franchises.The series airs Stateside on BBC America. Yates made clear that his movie adaptation would not follow on from the current TV series, but would take a completely fresh approach to the material.”Russell T. Davies and then Steven Moffat have done their own transformations, which were fantastic, but we have to put that aside and start from scratch,” he said.Yates and Tranter are looking for writers on both sides of the Atlantic.”We want a British sensibility, but having said that, Steve Kloves wrote the Potter films and captured that British sensibility perfectly, so we are looking at American writers too,” he explained.There are two previous films, based on the TV series: “Doctor Who and the Daleks” (1965) and “Doctor Who: Daleks’ Invasion Earth 2150 A.D.” (1966), both starring Peter Cushing.The BBC has since made a few unsuccessful attempts to develop a “Doctor Who” feature, and shot a one-off telepic in 1996 at a time when the TV series was dormant.But the combination of Yates and Tranter means this is the most high-powered effort to date to launch “Doctor Who” onto the bigscreen.Before directing “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,” “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” and both parts of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” Yates worked with Tranter on several BBC TV series, including “The Way We Live Now” and “State of Play.”

I bet RTD will have a hand in it.

I can't see this working at all so they may as well go full retard and make something truly incredible/awful. Nic Cage or Christopher Walken for the Doctor or get the fuck out. And update the TARDIS so it's something more contemporary. Like, say, a SWAT van.

*gasp* "It's bigger on the inside???"

"Yes. I CAN. Fit. More AMmo. For THE. MINIguns. This WAY. I car-RY a. MINIgun now. MiniGUNS are. COOL."

I know I'm going to win no prizes for originality by saying - on the internet - that an unreleased, uncasted and yet-to-be started film be a load of old tosh; but that doesn't mean it doesn't have to be. All the other 'films' were pretty bad, and McGann's doctor is only left in the overall continuity out of politeness/fan fiction/because seven was in the beginning of the film, I feel.

There has been a lot of talk about a new film since RTD brought it back in '05 and, if he were to get involved, I always thought an actual telling of the Time War would work. Not sure how it would work, mind - always imagined McGann regenerating into Eccles at the end by using 'the moment' or summat - but casting either of those would be difficult.

Having said that, the mystery and strength of the Time War as a narrative device is pretty good and think the TV show it would lose something if we got an explicit explanation.

Either way, right now, I'm treating this exactly as I treated the Transformers film when it was announced years ago.

Oh and: Idris Elba for Doctor, yo!