Garbage

biggerbob

Has been leaked.

Over on Rllmuk2, j.m.ratkos said,

someone "leaked" the new garbage album "bleed like me" this past weekend. very dark and moody, and bitchy. ms. manson is obviously using the music to sort through some issues with her ex-husband. 

Paulando:

I still have that coming from HMV, but I also downloaded it. It ain't that bad at all! Better than the last album, and there's some pretty nifty tunes on there.

Me:

I was quite disappointed.

(actually, I don't really think I meant disappointed - I wasn't expecting it to be that great, really)

At least with the last album they had an excuse for screwing it up because they tried to go all urban. This time it does sound like the old stuff (too much, at times: they really need some new ideas) and it's all a bit meh. I can't be bothered listening to it.

Also, I hate the lyrics. Ok, Garbage never had the best lyrics ever, but this new bitchy women's stuff doesn't sit well with me. I preferred the evil/psycho/sex stuff. I mean 'the boys all want to fight, but the girls just want to dance' (or whatever)... that just sounds like middle-aged people trying to get down with the kids.

Also, too many ballads.

So, any other opinions?

But bear in mind I'm a massive Garbage fanboy, seeing as they were the first band I was ever really into :o

I've always been a fan of Garbage, but i thought the last album was a bit disappointing. For me Version 2.0 is the best work they've done and I hope the new album is a return to form.

I've always been a fan of Garbage, but i thought the last album was a bit disappointing. For me Version 2.0 is the best work they've done and I hope the new album is a return to form.

Aye, Beautiful Garbage was pretty cack apart from a couple of tracks.

'Bleed Like Me' and 'Sex is not the Enemy' are the standout tracks at the moment.

Bare in mind I'm not a massive Garbage fanboy, and this is the first Garbage album I've... acquired... It's bloody ace. And Sex Is Not The Enemy is a wicked song.

They're also the only rock band that works with a female singer, imo.

Hey, just discovered that it helps to play it in album order rather than alphabetical.

It's growing on me, slowly. To be fair, it's a lot better than I was expecting, what's putting me off is that it's too generic.

Don't see the appeal of Sex is Not the Enemy, though. The chorus ('a revolution/is the solution') is really irritating.

Been wondering about this one, as I've rather a soft spot for Garbage. Enjoyed the first album, loved the second, and found the third a bit hit and miss.

I like the new single, but judging by the interviews I've read, I'm going to miss some of the more experimental sounds which they fused so well into their previous albums. I've got it pre-ordered at Play anyway, fingers crossed.

Bare in mind I'm not a massive Garbage fanboy, and this is the first Garbage album I've... acquired... It's bloody ace. And Sex Is Not The Enemy is a wicked song.

They're also the only rock band that works with a female singer, imo.

whaaaaaaaaaaaat!

Also, too many ballads.

Eh? There are only two on the whole album. And one of them is actually quite lovely (It's All Over But The Crying). Unlike the rest of the album. I dunno. I used to be Garbage obsessed. When I was fourteen virtually the only albums I ever played were their debut and Version 2.0 albums. I even loved beautifulgarbage when it was released a couple of years later. But this newest one, Bleed Like Me ... Christ, even the title - superlame. I expect the Livejournal cutters group hearts it to pieces. In fact, that's pretty much Garbage's target audience. Fifteen year old depresso gayboys and girls with bad skin and no friends. They'll lap this shit up. Shame I'm not a fifteen year old depresso gayboy any more.

Hm. Maybe I'm being harsh. Bad Boyfriend is great. Or, actually, it's not great at all, is it? The guitars are pretty boring. Shirley's vocals are great though. Only because she's trying to be Karen O with the little yelps and sex-grunts. Run Baby Run starts well but drowns itself to death in a horrendous bridge that sicks up the lyrics: "find out who you are before you regret it / cause life is so short, there's no time to waste it". Wow, Shirl, how insightful of you. Metal Heart is ok - bit of a Version2.0 reject. Nothing you particularly yearn to listen to again. Boys Wanna Fight is fun until it reaches another diabolical bridge where the guitars just seem to get bored of each other and sit down for a wee rest while Shirley compares the Iraq war to a party. Political! Then in the verses of Why Don't You Come Over they decide to resurrect Untouchable, the worst song they've ever recorded - Shirley sounds like she's singing Vanilla Ice's lyrical cast-offs while a half-assed bass guitar stammers blandly in the background. A shame: the rest of the song is catchy, chaotic, capturing a certain energy the rest of the album totally lacks.

The first single is ok. The metal riff (steeped in cliche; patently cut-n-pasted through the track) does its best to destroy the entire song. Doesn't quite manage. Shirley then takes a baseball bat to what would otherwise have been a lovely chorus ("it's driving me crazy"? what, are you American now?) and during the verses she trawls through another page of old teenage poetry. The effect is even worse if you watch the video - Shirley pouting, flashing thighs, beautiful as ... a very beautiful thing (light on water, maybe - that's beautiful) and yet she is "not as pretty as those girls in magazines"? Erm. You are the beautiful girl in the magazines making the rest of us feel like ugly pieces of foetus, my love.

Jesus. This post wasn't meant to happen. Clearly I am still obsessed. But not the besotted/in-love kind of obsessed. Garbage have betrayed me. They have spurned my love. They have reported me to the police, so to speak. And I am waiting outside their flat with a roll of duct tape, a golf club and a barbed-wire noose. That kind of obsessed.

I grabbed a copy of it a couple of weeks ago, I'm a massive Garbage fanboy as well and it's a great improvement on Beautiful Garbage but nowhere near as good as Version 2.0, or the first album (Supervixen is still my favourite track by miles).

Run Baby Run, Why Do You Love Me and Metal Heart are the standout tracks for me. It's a bit by the numbers and won't set the world alight but it's pretty decent IMO.

Also, too many ballads.
Eh? There are only two on the whole album.

Well, I could say that two is too many ballads on a Garbage album :ph34r: but, actually, I think this was a result of my don't-have-the-tracklisting-so-I'll-just-do-alphabetical-order masterplan.

Look what happens when you put the album in alphabetical order:

1. Bad Boyfriend - Ok, that's a good start

2. Bleed Like Me - Ballad

3. Boys Wanna Fight - Horrible, horrible song

4. Happy Home - Ballady start

5. It's All Over But The Crying - Ballad

And, yeah, by that time I guess I'd made my opinions of the album and only half-listened to the rest of the tracks.

Managed to get hold of a copy yesterday, and it's all good stuff, but doesn't quite reach the heights of their first two albums. Why don't you come over is a god damn awful song, and I have no idea how it creeped it's way onto the album, the title track, Metal Heart, Bad Boyfriend, It's all over but the crying, and the single are all strong tracks, but it's not as consistently brilliant as 2.0. Still, what's good is good, and it's certainly a welcome addition, here's hoping they manage to hold it together and come out with a 5th album sooner rather than later.

As promised:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/timdp/IMG_6617.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/timdp/IMG_6631.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/timdp/IMG_6638.jpg

First time I've ever seen Garbage live, Shirley is pretty awesome. For the first track she was totally still and emotionless, by track three she was pacing the stage like a caged beast and by the end she was contorting on the floor.

When she sings it's good, when she talks/raps it's not so good. Met her after and got a copy of 'Special' signed for my bro, and my VIP pass signed for me.

Nice pics, Tim. I saw them on the beautifulgarbage tour and your description of Shirley on stage seems pretty similar to the way I remember her at the gig I went to. She's got great stage presence and built the audience up into a real frenzy after a few tracks.

Nice pics, Tim. I saw them on the beautifulgarbage tour and your description of Shirley on stage seems pretty similar to the way I remember her at the gig I went to. She's got great stage presence and built the audience up into a real frenzy after a few tracks.

I went to see them in Manchester on the same tour- they were rather good! Hopefully I'll get to see them again soon.

Oh, and ta for the pics Tim :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm liking it a lot...but no big surprise there. Didn't take me long to get into and has some very nice tracks and should please the fans that didn't really like beautifulgarbage which I didn't mind at all.

Also nice to see the single charting quite high (7), not that the charts mean much these days with all the shit that's normally in it.