Ever Been Offended By A Game?

acidforblood

Have you ever found content in a game to be offensive? As games players i guess we are all used to any shock tactic a developer can throw at us but newcomers may beg to differ, especially parents looking over little Jonny's shoulder at the game they just bought him for his birthday. But does any game make you stop and think?

I can't think of any game that made me feel uncomfortable playing it. There are games i won't let the kids play and i will pause them if they came into the room but apart from gore and bad language what other issues could be considered taboo?

To be honest? No. Even when i was 14 or so playing GTA (the original) id just laugh my head off at running people over. It was funny in the same way tom and jerry is funny. It didnt offend me or anything. Same with having your characters kiss in GTA:SA, again, funny. Graphics are not at a level where they can disturb (blood and guts) and well, i guess i just see them as games. I dont see killing little babies (silent hill had this didnt it?) as horrible, i just see it as a game, but id never dare think of doing it in real life because that is horrible.

I think the only people games will offend are the easily offended, like hardcore American christians (someone please post some of them funny 'reviews' they do)

all the 'desert storm'-type games. for two reasons.

1. exploiting a current, unjust war in which thousands of innocents are still dying, and painting anyone of arab origin as the bad guys in the process

2. for being dull as watching paint dry, and comprising an astounding proportion of the casual market.

oh, and America's Most Wanted. for the obvious reasons, plus it being shit, plus I had to sell it to slackjawed idiots who thought it was great.

Shoot dead terrorists for fun and profit. I can't remember any specifics, but it seemed to anger me (and appal me) at the time.

But surely shooting people is considered par for the course in gaming. But put a political slant on it and people get hacked off.

Are there any outright racist/sexist comments in games you've come across?

What is that all about? Apart from killing Haitians, when was it released?

It was a mission in GTA3.. or Vice City? I can't remember. When they found out they kicked up a fuss and it was removed from the game.

Kill the Haitians?

That sure offended plenty of people. Not me of course, I'm not Haitain.. phewy!

I've said this before but:

WW2 game comes in for certification. Objective is "Kill all Nazis". This isn't possible in Germany as you're not allowed to mention Nazis in games. Objective is changed to "Kill all Germans". German classification board is happy now. They're a strange bunch.

I was offended, and I use the term loosly, by Resident Evil 4's Spanish speaking inhabitants. It was more annoyance than offence, but they just came across as a bit insulting. Plus they swore too much.

it was a fairly good game imo.

It wasn't the gameplay, it was the set-up, which had something to do with the USSR dropping the first A-bomb, and eventually taking over America or some stupid shit, and with you and your merry men fighting against your oppressers [sic]. However, it was mainly about a bunch of Freedom Fighters attempting to free the US from the Russian oppression.

Which was massively ironic, in that the US did the exact opposite at the time (in Iraq), although they never made a game about Iraqi terrorists in the same position.

The bold words are inter-changeable.

GTA: SA. Everything about it, but particularly that I "accidentally" found myself beating the shit out of a defenceless woman with a baseball bat.

I felt a bit uneasy about some of San Andreas. It was a bit grim in places in a way that Vice City definitely wasn't. It just lacked a sense of humour about it sometimes. The 'kill the hoes' missions in San Fierro, for example.

Of course I put loads of time into it nonetheless, telling myself 'it's just a game' 'it's nothing worse than a bunch of movies you've watched/liked' etc etc. And I think the game is brilliant. But it still felt a bit boring being forced to kill some prostitute to progress in the game.

Only a bit boring. I wasn't frothing at the mouth with moral indignation or anything...