Worst Game Box?

nausea

alright, the PAL 'cardboard' Saturn game boxes must be one of the worst box ever. it falls apart by just looking at it. and it's impossible to remove stickers from it. it just sucks. the other PAL 'plastic' box was actually very good. anyone know what the deal was with that? i think i've seen Sega Rally with both box versions..

another one is the Dreamcast PAL one. that was just.. wrong.

i think i like the standard new DVD style the best.. or just a plain CD jewel case.

N64 and SNES boxes spring to mind, almost impossible to keep in good condition.

i used to hate the old cd cases for pc games, they are exactly like music ones but with a massive inch thick manual squashed in the bit at the front. and not forgetting the useless oversize box with never really hand anything apart from that cd case in it.. i allways wondered why they did it. fair enough if it had 20 cd's but they never really did...

The large mega cd pal cases were the worst imaginable. See ground zero texas for example. stupidly large manual crushed into the front where the inlay should be and a really flimsy second disc holder.

ohh yes definatly, i agree

I think the poor pal Saturn boxes areindicative of the PAL system as a whole. The saturn really is the best example of us getting shafted by the Japanese games industry. There are very few PAL saturn games of note compared to the amount of jap classics.

The US NGPC game boxes are awful, particularly in comparison with the Japanese and UK clamshell plastic cases.

I think those clamshell type cases that the Neo geo/NGP and DS use are the best of the lot for me. Definately the best from a collectors point of view anyway.

I want to know why DC/Saturn/PSOne games could never come over here in standard CD-style boxes instead of the monstrosities that we had to put up with.

This poster must be in America then. Theay had big DVD style cases for the Mega CD and PSOne, but these cases were made in the same way a a normal audio CD case. The sizing up of this design made them very fragile.

I hate any cardboard box in the style of the SNES/N64/GB/GBA stuff. Almost impossible to keep in good nick, and you can forget about actually storing the games in them when you're done playing.

PS boxes also grate, seeing as they break at the slightest hint of stress. Except the cardboard MK3 box. That was quite nice.

The new DS cases are good - a logical extension of already excellent DVD cases.

I would have to agree that Snes boxes are the worst, I prefer to pick up unboxed titles these days so I dont have to put up with tatty squashed boxes.

Amiga and ST games must have had the least praxtical boxes, huge with just one or two discs floating around in them, and no uniform size so not the easiest to store, but on the plus side they were usually nice to look at. Although DVD cases are practical they're also a bit boring.

Am I also possibly the only person here who liked PS and Dreamcast boxes? :D

SNES box procedure.

1. Buy game.

2. Remove manual carefully, study, replace in box.

3. Put cart in desk draw.

4. Put box somewhere safe and never touch it again.

The Saturn ones are the worst by far....you can almost hear them gently falling apart even as they sit on a shelf.

I loved the CPC ones. Or to be more exact, CPC compilation boxes. Huge boxes with the lid (oh yes, shoebox style) emblazoned with games galore. Open it to find shiny discs and manuals. Shiny manuals! Yes!

Mine are still in good condition (well, the few that I have left). Pity the games might not be. And the manuals certainly aren't.

Metroid Prime 2 has an appalling sleeve. At the back, that is. It's as if they wanted people to pick it up in shops and think "Phwoar, what a load of ol' shite". I kinda felt the whole series was being misrepresented...

I know this thread is actually about the types of case. <_<

...And in that case I'd have to say the SNES. I mean my NES boxes are all still in fantastic condition, and they're made of the same stuff, so there must be an inherent structural weakness with the SNES ones, as mine are a tad battered from storage.

Dreamcast and PSone boxes, not because they're bad on the whole but because they're made of plastic and shouldnt all be smashed to fuck.

Best box, Japanese cube one although cardboard sleeve is bad the design inside them is so cute and lovely.

USA Saturn boxes were just wrong in every way possible. Mind you, the first batch of USA Playstation games came in wierd cases that were equally as bad.

The USA playstation boxes were a bit like fat DVD boxes, the Resident Evil one was cool though as it had art work on the inside front and inside back of the case.