Now I'm Not The Biggest Ninty Fan By A Long Way

Someone posted this in another topic somewhere and I have bookmarked so that when i get told that I have too much stuff and can show them and it'll make me feel better. Seriously though, how the hell does he keep it so tidy. My games room is a tip.

Someone posted this in another topic somewhere and I have bookmarked so that when i get told that I have too much stuff and can show them and it'll make me feel better. Seriously though, how the hell does he keep it so tidy. My games room is a tip.

By being a cunt and not playing any of it?

Then it should have been in the retro folder in the first place.

But he has modern consoles and games there, too. The fact that it's open to debate which category this thread falls into once again illustrates the absurdity of a 'retro' forum.

A simple forum search for that URL would have yielded results and saved us yet another thread.

I'm glad it was posted in here. I hadn't seen this yeat and tend to spend more time in here than Discussion. It amazes me when people actually take the time to reply to a thread just to have a whine.

That is a collection and a half. I am going to show the girlfriend when she next moans!

Also, who ays he doesn't play the games? All he has to do is tidy up before he takes the photos!

It's a far bigger collection than I'd want, though, as I just wouldn't have the time to dust that lot.

Right someone find out where he lives,hire a lorry and rob him!

Seriously though that is one good if anally retentive collector.Love the seat unit decked out like a NES.

Showing this to the other half as well to put my own somewhat limited collection into perspective!

wow incredible..

it's not just the massive amount of games and systems, there seems to be some very odd stuff and toys etc. it must have taken a long time and dedication to hunt down all that and build that room. that must have cost a fortune.

But he has modern consoles and games there, too.  The fact that it's open to debate which category this thread falls into once again illustrates the absurdity of a 'retro' forum.

A simple forum search for that URL would have yielded results and saved us yet another thread.

In the same way not all diving in and continuing the thread wih the forum equivalent of "burn the witch" might have been an idea, eh?

He's got a few newer ones, the rest of it's pre 2000.

Lets get back to posting lists of "recommended games" then.

But he has modern consoles and games there, too.  The fact that it's open to debate which category this thread falls into once again illustrates the absurdity of a 'retro' forum.

**seperate point**

I don't think it's absurd, the boot find threads and debate on boxes would get right up most listees noses, frankly I wouldn't bother to post in a general area abotu things "retro" too many idiots........

You know what? That collection is really something and if I had the time to devote to something like that, it'd actually make playing/buying games seem more worthwhile in the long run. But then, it doesn't surprise me that some of you waded in with whining and presumptions based on something somebody else said that sounded dead clever once.

"Bla bla bla, he probably hasn't played half his collection" - Who fucking cares? Do you actually, really care? Or is that line of criticism so popular now that anybody in a particularly bad mood is entitled to adopt it and make it their own little personal revelation?

What the fuck do you want from a thread in the retro folder? Would any of the snide posters in here bother to contribute if it meant being enthusiastic about something? If you take a good look through this part of the forum, it's about playing old games - and the effort it takes to find them in the first place takes a degree of committment and dedication.

People are being more diplomatic about it than I am, but I simply can't be arsed anymore because the negative attitude that permeates this folder serves only to curb the enthusiasm of those who do have something worthwhile and interesting to say.

If you've nothing constructive to say and only want to regurgitate the same argumentative bullshit Stuart Campbell has made his own, there's a whole lot more on this forum besides that might benefit from your "pearls of wisdom".

Oh and whilst it goes without saying, I couldn't give a fuck if you disagree - give me your best, as long as it's something you actually cooked up yourself.

END

"Bla bla bla, he probably hasn't played half his collection" - Who fucking cares?

Agreed, as I said the other day, I get as much fun from the associated mags and promo items as from the games, my c64 collection (800 titles) isn't played - I suspect that after 20 years for some of it it simply no longer works for whatever reason and I don't use the originals to play the games any prefering to write the disc images to new 51/4 discs and then load them onto my 64.

Why do I keep them? Well I can play the games still and I can look at the boxes,instructions and packed in catalogues which give me a nice warm feeling and at times a big fucking shiver down my spine, they've got a pop art quality and are enjoyable on more than one level.

I'm not a big ninty fan but I love what this guys done with this, he's put some effort in and it's to be admired rather than cussed.

You know what? That collection is really something and if I had the time to devote to something like that, it'd actually make playing/buying games seem more worthwhile in the long run. But then, it doesn't surprise me that some of you waded in with whining and presumptions based on something somebody else said that sounded dead clever once.

"Bla bla bla, he probably hasn't played half his collection" - Who fucking cares? Do you actually, really care? Or is that line of criticism so popular now that anybody in a particularly bad mood is entitled to adopt it and make it their own little personal revelation?

What the fuck do you want from a thread in the retro folder? Would any of the snide posters in here bother to contribute if it meant being enthusiastic about something? If you take a good look through this part of the forum, it's about playing old games - and the effort it takes to find them in the first place takes a degree of committment and dedication.

People are being more diplomatic about it than I am, but I simply can't be arsed anymore because the negative attitude that permeates this folder serves only to curb the enthusiasm of those who do have something worthwhile and interesting to say.

If you've nothing constructive to say and only want to regurgitate the same argumentative bullshit Stuart Campbell has made his own, there's a whole lot more on this forum besides that might benefit from your "pearls of wisdom".

Oh and whilst it goes without saying, I couldn't give a fuck if you disagree - give me your best, as long as it's something you actually cooked up yourself.

END

angry.JPG

1 post hardly equates as "trolling".

I take the same stance as Stroker Ace.

Here's the thing; I hate the term retro as much as the next informed chap or chapess but these days, it's a word that generates a lot of interest - and a lot of money too. Gamestations have "retro" sections, ebay auctions chuck the word around like it's a full stop or comma and surprisingly, its one of the few aspects of the industry that the casual market have taken to and frequently comment upon.

We don't talk about ten year old films whilst attaching the word "retro" to them - the argument here is why should we with games, obviously - but the fact remains that this is what we're stuck with until the industry grows up and if it's the easiest option then I can handle it.

And I'm amazed how off-topic I've taken this.

>Here's the thing; I hate the term retro as much as the next informed chap

I hate it for different reasons - it sounds bloody corney for starters but people that started to collect (and this sounds snobby) always called it "classic gameing" as they didn't like the term retro and it always let you know if the person using the term was a "real" collector or just a joiner in, dealer etc...

Thing is you may not use terms like "retro" when discussing music and films but you do use terms to signify the age and style of media - nu metal, classic rock, 60's campfest, "acid", Old Skool etc.

I always consider myself an "arcade" gamer, ie, pick it up, play it, put it down, wham bam thank you mam, as opposed to the big home games such as GA, GT ec, games that are huge in scope and are made for the home market - I'll choose Outrun2 any day though I do like the online squad shooter thing..

Ultimately the vast majority of gamers are interested in the latest games and the latest machines, you can tell the era of a game not from the fashions but by the pixel count, ultimately do the majority of yesterdays games stand up to todays?

I mean many games are unrelentingly mediocre yes but are not bad games, many of the games of yesteryear were frankly bloody awful, beyond the gameplay, they were less than competantly written, I recall the fear when spending cash on a game if it was crap and meaning it was REALLY crap not just uninspired.

So, "retro" harks back to a previous generation, I don't like it but "classic" gameing is probably too snobby, when the "collecting community" was RGVC and CCNUK praying the unwashed didn't discover ebay so were stuck with it.

Not just this thread. You've been doing it a bit recently.

You and Stroker should take that stance to Announcements and Feedback.

Well, it would be trolling if this was called 'the collector's folder'. But it's not. I bet there are people who wanted this folder to be discussion about games of old, not 'look what I got at the car boot sale lol'.

Well, it would be trolling if this was called 'the collector's folder'. But it's not. I bet there are people who wanted this folder to be discussion about games of old, not 'look what I got at the car boot sale lol'.

Well it is as well isn't it?

I mean, the car boot threads are marked as such and the "what games should I buy/do you remember this game/what about..." are marked as well.

It's a bit like being easily offended and watching a film thats an 18, you've read is a bit rude and the annoucer says "contain swearing and punchups" then getting a bit upset.

I just ignore the threads that don't interest me, they're usually clearly marked, each to their own.

Once again, there is no reason why you can't like collecting, buying old games from a boot sale and playing games. All three have been sitting happily together in this folder for ages.

However, as 213 said, recently a number of people have felt the need to enter threads they don't like in here and moan about them. It's not as though the car boot thread titles are deceiving. They do exactly what they say on the screen.

I find it amazing that people are actually moaning about this. Big deal. We'd live in a wonderful World if people worried and moaned and actually cared about the important things in life, rather than the fact that the same link has been posted a couple of times on a site that has 4911 members. :wacko:

I can understand the frustration of one of the earlier posters. (About how the guy might not have played everything he's got.)

However...

1. Look at the photos again, he has all his systems rigged up, he obviosly intends to play most of his games. Hell, it looks like he's even patient enough to use some of his 8-bit computers to load stuff up.

2. It's obvious he loves his collection.

Which leads me to my last point.

3. Better sitting in a glass case for years (and being dusted off and played eventually) rather than thrown out onto the kerb or in the tip.

Honestely, every time we have a council cleanup day I find loads of old games just thrown out onto the street. How many games do we loose to the garbage bin every year?