Thanks to Craig for telling me to download this.

I found a torrent and basically knew nothing about the film. When I started watching the ony thing I'd heard was "It sounds a bit like Cube".

So the torrent whips through at something like 220kbs constant and I have it in no time. I start watching and it's pretty slow going. There's an amateurish look to it, but it benefits from the director knowing exactly what he wants to do. There's just a precision to the camera work and script. And it plods on. It's Science talk. Not easy to grasp, more like overhearing a conversation you don't understand. But there's something mysterious and interesting about it.

It grows. Slowly. There's a focus on the friendship between the two main stars as they try to understand exactly what it is they're building. Until one of them takes it further than they ever imagined. Think Pi... but Science instead of Maths. And colour not b/w. When it finally kicks in, it's exhaustingly brilliant. And there's a point about 3/4 of the way through and it's like 'Wow, this is amazing'. There's that nostalgic close friendship feeling with this weird gripping science-fiction angle.

It's confusing. Even after the second time through I don't get it all and I wouldn't want to spoil it by explaining exactly what they find or anything after that. Don't even look it up for yourselves.

They managed to make it for $7,000, which is incredible. It has a grainy look to it, but it works to its benefit.

Just watch the trailer, then download the film.

I have no idea when it's out here, but the NTSC DVD is out at the end of this month.

EDIT: I just read an Roger Ebert review of this film and whilst he does his best, I think he gives too much of it away. I can imagine most other reviews doing the same. So I dunno, I reckon it'd be loads better if you knew less about it. I liked it that way. A group of people start a small Science project which grows into something they don't understand, until two of them take it further and exploit it. That's all you need to know.

Watched this last week and loved it.It will take a couple of watches before you 'get' it but well worth it.Having just read Roger Ebert's review he really does give far too much away.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit strange. He sort of says "I don't want to give it all away, but... *gives it all away*".

If someone can find any UK release dates for cinema or DVD, that'd be sweet.

Good to hear this is worth a watch. I saw the trailer a few months ago and it looked interesting. As a side note, my local independent cinema is supposed to be getting this in a few months I think, so it should be getting at least a limited release around the UK.

I had a ticket to see this at the SF Channel Film Fest in London back in February but had to miss it to an unexpected death in the family.

I heard lots of good things about it and bought the DVD from PLay's USA/Canada site and it is very good. Except I watched it whilst exhausted at about 11pm and I didn't get it at all. In fact, I got a headache just thinking about it.

Definitely a film to be watched a few times to get the full effect.

Nice interview, shame about the self-indulgence of the guy that was posing it.

I like the idea that his next film might be self-funded again, the independence of Primer gave it a look that I don't think would've been achieved from professional cameras and effects gained with a big budget.

Wow, just watched this, and I was quite impressed. Really good style throughout, and a good concept, carried out well too.

I dont quite get why people are saying you need to watch it more than once to understand what was going on though; Im pretty sure Ive grasped everything that happened. I'd like to watch it again to listen to the conversations at a few points again - when they were talking over each other, as I seemed to focus on the smalltalk everytime instead of the important dialogue.

I felt that the last third of the movie could have been fleshed out a bit more, it was all presented a bit abruptly and thundered through to the climax without a pause for breath. Its a bit of a shame, as the final act was the best part of the film, I thought.

Really good film though. I shall be pimping it to my friends shortly :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, just watched this, and I was quite impressed. Really good style throughout, and a good concept, carried out well too.

I dont quite get why people are saying you need to watch it more than once to understand what was going on though; Im pretty sure Ive grasped everything that happened. I'd like to watch it again to listen to the conversations at a few points again - when they were talking over each other, as I seemed to focus on the smalltalk everytime instead of the important dialogue.

I felt that the last third of the movie could have been fleshed out a bit more, it was all presented a bit abruptly and thundered through to the climax without a pause for breath. Its a bit of a shame, as the final act was the best part of the film, I thought.

Really good film though. I shall be pimping it to my friends shortly :)

I agree with all you say there but in particular about the the final third of the movie felt rushed.

I do have to add "OW MY HEAD HURTS", then again such is the nature of the science the movie's about.

Loved it and it needs 2 views to do it justice I think.

• 1 month later...

Right! Firstly, that was great, Everyone who likes somewhat geeky things should see this at the first available opportunity.

Secondly, as of right now I have very little clue what went on, I think that's the furthest I've ever been from understanding the actual plot of a film the first time through as I've ever been.

I'm off to read about it. I can't watch it again tonight as my ear will start to bleed and I'll be unable to form letters.

Once I've watched it again, perhaps I'll be able to formulate a sensible opinion about it. I'll be back.

Part 3 of that CHUD interview is helpful, thanks.

This bits great too

Q: Is there any adaptation that you would like to do?

Carruth: There’s something that keeps coming back to me. I read this book about the history of the number zero, and it touched on Pythagoras and the history of math. Something that I didn’t know before was that Pythagoras was murdered because he was part of a group that believed that fractions were demonic. The group was very religious in nature and they were obsessed with whole numbers. He was killed by a rival cult, he was assassinated. That world is fascinating to me, if only because I’m having a hard time imagining it, so I know it’s not been given its due attention, especially in filmmaking. I think it would be interesting to see an early Greek murder mystery about math.

Well, I'd watch it.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this at the Cambridge film festival last week (along with 30 other films, I'm still trying to get used to daylight again) and it was excellent. I do hope it gets a wider release over here. It looked surprisingly good considering that it is slightly grainy dv and was projected on a rather large screen.

I saw this at the Cambridge film festival last week (along with 30 other films, I'm still trying to get used to daylight again) and it was excellent. I do hope it gets a wider release over here. It looked surprisingly good considering that it is slightly grainy dv and was projected on a rather large screen.

I think it was filmed on film, not on dv, despite its miniscule budget.

I think it was filmed on film, not on dv, despite its miniscule budget.

Your right, a bit of googling reveals it was shot on Super 16mm, I imagine the film and processing must have been a large chunk of the $7K budget.

I should try and find out just what projection systems they were using throughout the festival, they had a restored version of Black Narcissus being played of a Cubit server which looked extremely impressive.

I should try and find out just what projection systems they were using throughout the festival, they had a restored version of Black Narcissus being played of a Cubit server which looked extremely impressive.

I imagine that the equipment used to project Black Narcissus will be very similar to the NFT's digital apparatus that forms their Digital Test Bed, given that both set-ups utilise a QuBit server.

• 3 weeks later...

Just invited a few mates around too watch this and they all seemed to think it was fantastic. One of them kept on gesticulating the "what's going on!" gesture (a science graduate going on to do a phd!) and two of them recently got engaged (although that has little to do with the movie).

So yeah, top reccomendation Rin. What's next?

• 2 weeks later...
The Guardian gave it a sweet review today.

Big review in the Independent today where they contrast it with Memento,PI and a film I have never heard of called Suture

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108260/

Never heard of this film before and it sound sintriguing.ANyone seen it as I couldnt find any torrents around and dont want to splash out on another film if it is pony.

Big review in the Independent today where they contrast it with Memento,PI and a film I have never heard of called Suture

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108260/

Never heard of this film before and it sound sintriguing.ANyone seen it as I couldnt find any torrents around and dont want to splash out on another film if it is pony.

Palmer is in it! I must see this film.