It mentions a giant time machine. I'm no longer sure that's what's going on. It's true that Aaron does discuss building a room-sized machinge. But I read that "every half meter" stuff to be about building lots of time machines. Which I think would be more useful. If you stagger when they're put on, you can travel back to any point in relative convenience, you can get out for breaks, make long trips, etc. What do you do with a massive machine? Bring back a tank or an army?

That's a good point. I assumed he was building a 'box' big enough for him to comfortably live in for months but I'm not sure if that's how it works - did they have to (eg) sit in the boxes for 7 hours in order to travel back in time 7 hours?

Yes, they are in the box for the amount of time it takes for the box to go back to the point it was turned on. If you built one, left it on for three weeks then turned it off, you would need to be in it three weeks to go back to when it was first turned on.

About the larger machine; I thought that was because the more comfortable and liveable the inside of the time machine could be, the longer they could stay in it and so, go back further.

Which is one thing that confused me about using the failsafe boxes. As I understand it, if you are in the box for six hours, you come out of the box six hours before you entered. So for the failsafe boxes, are they in there for a few days? For example, if Aaron uses his failsafe first, is he in there for 48 hours?

Yes, it's 1 to 1.

You'd certainly want a more liveable box but it wouldn't need to be massive.

I'd have a whole Easy Hotel of boxes, switching a new one on in a staggered fashion every few hours. That way I could go pick a room to go back precisely to 2pm Tuesday. Get out, stretch my legs, run a few errands, see my kids, then get in another to go back to 9pm Sunday.

Yes, they are in the box for the amount of time it takes for the box to go back to the point it was turned on. If you built one, left it on for three weeks then turned it off, you would need to be in it three weeks to go back to when it was first turned on.

One thing I really can't work out: If you get in a box, travel back a few hours, then get out....are you still in the box?

One thing I really can't work out: If you get in a box, travel back a few hours, then get out....are you still in the box?

I don't think so.

There are two of you in the timeline; one that has just emerged from the box (v1) and the regular one (v2). The regular one (v2) will get into the box in X hours time, leaving only the one from the future (v1).

I don't think so.

There are two of you in the timeline; one that has just emerged from the box (v1) and the regular one (v2). The regular one (v2) will get into the box in X hours time, leaving only the one from the future (v1).

After they encounter Granger they talk about going and turning the boxes off, and one of them says that, for all they know, Granger could be inside one of the boxes right now, travelling backwards.

The reason they set a 15 minute timer for the box to power up rather than just switching it on is so that they don't bump into their future selves emerging before they've left the scene. This implies that there is always a body inside the box over the period of time across which they are travelling. It's also why the boxes are described as "one time use only".

So it follows that, as soon as you leave the box and start travelling forwards through time normally, your slightly younger self is simultaneously inside the box travelling backwards.

Right? :wacko:

That's exactly how it works, but nly for the period of time that they're travelling through.

• I switch the box on at 1pm. I go off and do stuff for 3 hours.
  • I come back. I get in the box at 4pm (at the right time, having switched it off) and wait for 3 hours.
  • I get out, and am now back at 1pm.

At 1:05pm there are - technically - 3 of me in the timestream. The original me, off doing stuff. The travelling me, in the box waiting. And the back in time me, having gotten out of the box.

At 4:01pm, there is only the back in time me left in the timeline, provided I don't mess about with anything.

The bit about the modular boxes screwed with my head. If I do the above, does it mean:

• I switch two boxes on at 1pm. I go off and do stuff for 3 hours.
  • I come back, break down box #2. I get in box 1 at 4pm with box 2(at the right time, having switched it off) and wait for 3 hours.
  • I get out, and am now back at 1pm.
  • I set up box 2, which has now been running for 6 hours.
  • I get in, wait six hours.
  • I get out and am now back at 7am?

No, the disassembled modular boxes simply allow failsafe Aaron to bring a few boxes back with him to the first day.

One he steps out of, the failsafe Abe built

One he puts in the place of that failsafe so Abe still has a failsafe to use and thinks everything is fine (only it gets switched on a little later and if Abe made a careful note of the timings he'd realise this)

One as a new failsafe in case he needs it later.

You can't go back in time further than the first time Abe switched the first box on.

I thought the modular boxes was just folding up and taking a (switched off) box back with you, essentially duplicating it to be used again. This enables you to repeat the same period over and over again, using an empty new box each time. It's not for travelling back to before the first box was switched on.

So I think what Aaron does once he finds Abe's failsafe:

• leaves Abe's failsafe running but moves it to secret new location.
  • Folds up another box and gets into Abe's failsafe to travel as far back as he possibly can
  • Quickly nips over to the where Abe originally left his failsafe and sets up a new box. This is the box Abe uses to failsafe, thinking it's the one he originally set up. It's not - Aaron has put it there, and it doesn't go back quite as far as the one Aaron stole.
  • Aaron's stolen failsafe now trumps Abe's by taking him back in time a little further, thus making him the "king".

EDIT: Uh, Graham's version makes more sense I think. Essentially the same thing.

Which Aaron is looping on Monday?

Aaron Prime is in the attic.

Hoody Aaron has buggered off.

Which leaves Aaron 3...

But then who goes through the process with Abe as he tells him about the fungus and stuff? Is it Aaron 3? Is there something missing that leads to the party?

Also, the next couple of days where Abe and Aaron go to the hotel and then buys stocks never happens, does it? Because Aaron and Abe have the argument on the final Tuesday morning and part ways so never do any of the rest... Thus they wouldn't have been around for Granger to come back...

Am I missing something or is my logic flawed?

Which Aaron is looping on Monday?

Aaron Prime is in the attic.

Hoody Aaron has buggered off.

Which leaves Aaron 3...

But then who goes through the process with Abe as he tells him about the fungus and stuff? Is it Aaron 3? Is there something missing that leads to the party?

Yes it would seem to be Aaron 3 (EDIT: that we see on screen. The implication is that he goes through it all with Aaron 1 and 2 as well in different timelines). Something we never see is how the party originally plays out, or the aftermath between Aaron 1 and Abe. The situation would presumably have been: Abe does his test day of time travelling, tells Aaron about it, then that evening the party happens with neither of them in attendance (which makes sense, as they've just invented time travel they'd be unlikely to go to a party that same evening). If Rachel gets shot, presumably Abe and Aaron 1 have a discussion about looping back and changing things. Abe would know that this is indeed possible due to the existence of his failsafe. Would he reveal this to Aaron? Does this explain how Aaron originally located the failsafe and used it in secret? Why would Abe not want to failsafe and change things himself seeing as it's his girlfriend who is affected?

Also, the next couple of days where Abe and Aaron go to the hotel and then buys stocks never happens, does it? Because Aaron and Abe have the argument on the final Tuesday morning and part ways so never do any of the rest... Thus they wouldn't have been around for Granger to come back...

Am I missing something or is my logic flawed?

Yes, they erase all their stock trading so unless Aaron stuffs a load of bank notes in his pocket before failsafing then it's all gone. It's also unlikely that they'd tell Granger about the time machine given their knowledge of what happens if they do. The timeline where Granger finds out about the boxes and travels back is erased.

• 1 month later...

Did the rewatch last night, even though it's been ages since the first viewing and a while since I'd read this thread it was great and I followed pretty much all of it. There are a few details I didn't pick up on which the Internet filled me in on but to me that adds to the experience afterwards rather than detracting from it at the time.

It's a great film.

• 3 weeks later...

So basically they are both dickheads right? Instead of publishing or fully exploring the potential applications of the technology, they are both willing to physically assault themselves and tinker about with time for their own, frankly petty reasons. So at the end Aaron 2 is setting up a massive box / series of boxes for purely personal uses. Aaron 3 will probably do the same as he is the same person. Abe 2 is going to what... Kill his earlier version and take over his life? In the logic of this movie the earlier version of yourself ceases to exist the second anyone changes anything or you don't go back in the box... Which means with 5 of these pricks building time machines now with no coordination things going to get pretty messed up right?

Great film.

• 1 year later...

Ahaha. I went back in a box to the first day, when Rin had just invented watching Primer.

A bit later on, but what do I discover but this smart guy.

Watched this again last night.

Weirdly the first time I watched it about 5 years ago, I got it, sure the last 10 minutes get confusing fast, but I could understand by and large the quick narrative jumps. This time, from the time Abe takes Aaron to the storage locker it pretty much went over my head. I presume I wasn't paying enough attention and totally missed the leaps to Thomas Grainger and the party crasher this time, and what was going on.

I'm really only bumping this thread, just so Comrade can argue again about why he doesn't like this film, and everyone else can call him stupid; that and after APM and Graham S try and unravel it all, lots of other people will watch it and try and unravel it, so that APM and Graham S can try and explain what happened at certain points by re-unraveling it.

He had prior knowledge of future events!

I don't like him controlling me. I'm going to use my mod powers to create a Grainger Incident.