What Are You Playing?

Farley

Bioshock Infinite (PS3) and The Last of us (ps3, obv.)

can't say I've played either long enough to move beyond "I've seen this all before". Especially in the case of BI, which looks nice, but it's mostly aesthetics so far.

Been playing Pikmin 3 this week. Just unlocked what I think is the final area, but I'm hoovering up the rest of the fruit before I move on. Enjoying it immensely, when I'm not shouting at my Pikmin for wandering off / getting caught on scenery / killing themselves.

After seeing the credits in Dark Souls 2, I decided to hold off on NG+ for a couple of weeks and try a different type of RPG from the opposite end of the spectrum: South Park: The Stick of Truth. Oh my god, it's hilarious if you're a fan of the show. It's the perfect antidote from the oppression from the Souls games.

Slicing fools in the groin for cash in Killzone Mercenary. The 'reward for brutal efficiency' thing worked in Unit 13 and works even better here.

The only downside is it shines a harsh light on how few games are being released for the Vita that push the lovely little thing.

Now moved onto The Wonderful 101. I seem to have a love-hate relationship with this game, in that I love it, then five minutes later I hate it, then five minutes later I love it again. There's nothing like being told you can't draw a straight line or something to take you out of a fantastic set-piece.

The way some of the boss fights pan out suggests that you're supposed to play through it twice - the first time, you're just figuring out what's going on.

I'm currently dipping in and out my backlog not knowing what to play, bereft after finishing Dark Souls II. In the past two days I've sampled Driver: San Francisco, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Civilization Revolution and Hitman: Absolution. Hitman, so far, seems the most promising, but I still don't think it will come anywhere near filling the Dark Souls II-shaped hole in my gaming heart. Maybe I should just go back and finish the NG+. I got as far as the Lost Bastille before I made myself turn it off after a month's solid playing.

Started playing Mark of the Ninja. Yep, this is basically the perfect stealth game. Crazily good.

Yeah I have that on the go too, think I'm near the end as well if I can ever tear myself away from Dark Souls 2 to finish it and mop up missed achievements :) pure cool wee game.

Finished Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet with 100% map, although somehow only 98% items. I'm only missing a couple of videos and artworks, so I'm not too fussed about those. Got all the ship upgrades.

I really enjoyed it. It's very Metroid-y, particularly with how you stumble across bosses and absorb their upgrades after you beat them. It's also got the same sort of "travelling into the belly of the beast" kind of feel to it. No intrusive cutscenes, just story told through level design. Good use of the controls and physics for grabbing things too. Nice art style and ambient music. Recommended to fans of Metroid, certainly.

On the go, I'm finishing up my eighth playthrough of Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors before appropriately tackling the final ninth(!). No spoilers, but I've wasted three playthroughs due to not knowing how to affect the six outcomes, and I had to resort to GameFAQs, which is never a good sign. It's "clever" but annoying, and I'm not convinced this structure is the best way to unravel an interactive narrative. Not without more clues and insight into what has what effect on the story.

I know Virtue's Last Reward gets a lot of praise, but is it any different or just more of the same thing?

Virtue's handles the multiple branches much better than 999. There's a flowchart and you can leap to certain points within the narrative so you don't have to repeat puzzles and it's impossible to get yourself stuck in a play through that will result in a repeat ending (unless you actually want that to happen).

I played Virtue's last year and thought it was one of the best games I've played in a long while and probably the best story in the entire medium. Finished 999 a month or two ago and although it's brilliant, the sequel improves on it in every regard.

Having recently completed Dark Souls 2, I've been feeling the emptiness that always follows in the wake of completing a Souls game. After loading things up and shutting them down almost immediately, I've eventually settled on playing Arkham Asylum on Hard. I played it a few years ago on the now long-gone 360, so am starting fresh on PS3. City and Origins are certainly prettier, but Asylum has aged very well, so far, and I played it sufficiently long ago that it feels fresh again. Good stuff :)

Virtue's handles the multiple branches much better than 999. There's a flowchart and you can leap to certain points within the narrative so you don't have to repeat puzzles and it's impossible to get yourself stuck in a play through that will result in a repeat ending (unless you actually want that to happen).

I played Virtue's last year and thought it was one of the best games I've played in a long while and probably the best story in the entire medium. Finished 999 a month or two ago and although it's brilliant, the sequel improves on it in every regard.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'll certainly check it out at some point. :)

I'm playing through Virtue's myself - I didn't know much about it before the sale and I must have played about twenty minutes of 999, but after seeing one or two endings I can see why people recommend it. The puzzles and storyline are very clever, and the Flow system is invaluable. Although I am getting through a lot of notepaper whilst figuring out these puzzles...

Just restarted going through Dead Island recently because I didn't really want to start anything completely new until I've finished with Eternal Sonata. It's becoming less and less inspiring to me now, still though, I feel the need to see it through. Just completed Xylophone tower in ES last night, but felt that I'd rather be on Dead Island, and this is a game I never thought I'd want to return to at all.

Seem to be aimlessly wandering around in Thief (Xbone) in the hub area of the game. I like the setting but the map is rubbish and actually pinpointing specific side missions is hit and miss. I think I have only completed the first two missions and I am trying for the no kills or knockouts achievement which adds a little more challenge at least.

In comparison picked up Resistance 3 again and it's a blast. Just got past the Satan creature and the train ride fighting the Wardens. Brilliant stuff.

The Last of Us (ps3) obviously it's the best survival horror I've played since Silent Hill. BUT... I don't do stealth games well, I'm impatient. And what I see are puzzle rooms, with obstacles in the form of antagonists. They need to be taken out in order, at the right times. They need to be taken out to progress. You can't just sneak past them and use the exit.

That's kind of annoying.

Unfortunately I play it like pacman. I run around, trying to avoid them, if I find myself with the upperhand, either behind them, or worse their AI means they don't react to me, then sure, I'll "grab and shiv" or whatever. Maybe I'll die. I'll try again. I might try a head-on approach. Die. But I don't put much thought into it. Like I've got to get through ASAP?

Molotovs are REALLY useful. Tess can be useful against any enemy except clickers.

Melee attacks and the setting recall the best parts of Silent Hill, Condemned, and Rage (city of the dead).

You know what I'd ask for in this game? A cheat mode that gives you a revolver with unlimited ammo. There's a really good 3rd person covershooter here, hiding behind a stealth game. Same way I played Splinter Cell Conviction and thingy.... Alpha Protocol.

Anyway, just made it through the towerblock...

"there's something on your shoe" lol!

Lego Harry Potter 1-4, it's amazing.

I really enjoyed both Lego Harry Potter games - and I've never read the books or seen the movies.

Currently playing Rocksmith 2014. The interface is better than the original, and the new Guitarcade games are fun.

Bought myself a JXD S7800b so I could get round to playing some of the old retro games I missed / never finished. Going to start playing Suikoden in the morning, missed it in the day of the PS1 and I'm told as a massive RPG fan I've missed out. Funnily enough I've owned copies of Suikoden 1 & 2 for years but It's took me buying a handheld to play them on to get round to playing them. Should keep me happy on my lunch breaks for a few weeks !

I started Borderlands 2 last night after buying it in the live sale. I played for two hours and spent a large proportion of that time opening containers or getting bashed about by those Bullymog things, which wasn't exactly fun. Does it get better?

Yeah, it gets much better. Don't feel the need to do every quest your given, and don't bother with anything below your level

Cool, I'll keep going. I was going to play tonight but a quick go on Dark Souls 2 turned into a bit of a two hour co-op SunBro binge. It's amazing how easily that game eats up time. The entire time I was playing I kept thinking to myself 'I should be playing Borderlands' but I just could not being myself to turn it off.