What Are You Playing?

Farley

Yeah, I used Iron Man to double-X my way up to the Helicarriers. Do you have to pass through the center of the ring to get all the studs in the ring?

In the raft now, multi-layered-puzzle-tastic!

Yep, dead centre(ish). The feel and whole sense of fun with this is brilliant. I could muck about in the city for hours.

I've been going back and playing a few PS3 games I either neglected when I bought them or gave up really early:

Final Fantasy XIII - I knew it wasn't well received and to be honest I can see why. There's a good game in there trying to get out but the characters are dead shit and the paradigm system is handicapped by Square-Enix trying to make all the battles run at 100mph. I tried picking the abilities to begin with but you lose so much time that it's just not worth it, especially since you only control one character too.

It feels like SE really tried to make it look and flow in a certain way at the expense of the core JRPG mechanics. I'd only recently played Xenoblade Chronicles, which is better in every single way. I'm plan on finishing it though but the Crystarium thing just makes me wish they'd gone back to the Sphere grid of FFX.

Katamari Forever - it's Katamari in HD, it's silly and fun.

Burnout Paradise - oh man, I forgot how much fun the Burnout games were. I actually don't mind the open world here and it still looks and feels good. The PS3 triggers make it hard to play for a long period but other than that, I'd love a sequel to this either on current or next gen machines. I guess Need for Speed has taken over now though :(

Street Fighter 4 - yeah, the original, it's been a while. I do miss the other Ultras from Super.

A Link Between Worlds - couldn't resist picking this up and oh my God it's so good. And difficult. Like the classic Zeldas.

Alice: Madness Returns - eh, it's okay.

Jetpack Joyride - great to pick up and play for a quick go on the big screen.

Feeling like I might crack and get a Vita though...

LEGO Marvel is a quality game and probably one of the best LEGO games released. Pretty cheap (under a fiver) over at Humble Bundle atm.

Finished Season 2 of The Walking Dead now on to Spider-Man 2.Still waiting for WD and Wolfie.

Currently enjoying Rayman Legends on the 360. Its frequently hilarious, gorgeous and fun to play. The Castle Rock level was a particular highlight. The sound design in general is excellent.

I'm still dipping in and out of Bravely Default as well. It's strange because when I play it I enjoy it a lot, but when I'm not playing it I don't feel compelled to, like I do with Rayman.

Bioshock 2. What an excellent game. I am nearing the end and it keeps getting better and more interesting. Unlike Bioshock 1 which went on forever and by the end I could not care less about anything the game offered.

And finished: excellent game. Now onto the DLC.

Sleeping Dogs (360) Highly enjoyable game, great story and still looks the part (especially the light reflections on rainy nights). Would have missed this had it not been on GwG.

Lego Hobbit (Xbone) Typical Lego game so enjoyable but I don't think i will be 100% this one. Its not grabbed me in the same way LotR did and there is far too much side stuff to do. Also, its a glitchy bugger (textures not always loading and mid level crashes to the dash).

Portal (360) - tearing my hair out on level 18 !!

Stupid platform jumps, really not enjoying the game but so close to completing I am going to try again this evening.

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (3DS). Ignore the po-faced military plot and it's not bad. There's a lot of rules to learn but it introduces them slowly. I've nudged it up to the the middle/silver difficulty for now as rookie was too easy.

Darksiders (PC). It's God of War meets Zelda, but lacking the quality of both. Kind of bland environments, simple combat and repetitive tasks, but it's solid and functional. Sticking with it for now.

A few forgotten games

Lost Planet 3

Its a mess of a game as it has taken on board the likes of gears and uncharted and tried to implement their game styles into the Lost Planet universe. Its a lot easier to play than the others. I like it, but its definately bargain basement stuff.

FUSE

Perhaps one of the most poorly received new IPs of recent years, this was greeted with apathy on release. Its not bad apart from the awful story and looks breathtaking at times on the 360. Well worth the fiver it cost me new in Game. The gunplay is good, but it feels like a poor mans gears, the game it most heavily borrows from.

Magical Starsign

A really good RPG on the DS, I picked this up for the price of a pint. It looks great on the ds with both screens being used really well and the game plays traditionally but is really well written. Nice to see a RPG use the touch screen so well.

A few forgotten games

Lost Planet 3

Its a mess of a game as it has taken on board the likes of gears and uncharted and tried to implement their game styles into the Lost Planet universe. Its a lot easier to play than the others. I like it, but its definately bargain basement stuff.

So gutted this never had 4 player co-op. Really enjoyed playing LP2.

Beginning to run out of 4 player online co-op games to play with friends now.

Currently playing Dead Island Riptide.

Hoping Destiny can fill the void with it's MMO style.

I've been playing you have to win the game recently. This is completely FREE on steam and well worth checking out, theres no catch like adverts and runs on windows, linux and I believe mac too.

Very cool retro PC style even with a CRT emulation feature. It feels a bit like metroid in that you have to find collectables and abilities to progress further in different areas. You can finish it in just over an hour or so but I really liked it.

5-you-have-to-win-the-game.jpg

Portal - Completed

Finally managed to get pass the annoying platform section of level 18. Level 19 was a walk in the park compared to 18.

You get an easy boss fight sequence against Glados before you see the outside world & the end credits.

I'd still say that it is an overrated game with all the plaudits it gets I've played far better games over the last couple of years (see my top list).

On release yes it must have been something special due to it's unique gameplay style with the portals & a twist at the end but several years later I think those that have played it need to take off their rose-tinted glasses.

Was going to start playing Infamous Second Son but will not get it finished in time before the WiiU arrives so will take a look at a shorter game possibly Brothers on the PS3 or one of the many XBLA titles I've not yet played.

Last night I started infamous 2. After turning the camera speed back down to normal I was surprised by how it's so similiar to the third game it is. I mean obviously, yeah, but it's only a little... grittier than the PS4 game, the buildings are a lot lower, in terms of both height and texture qualitiy, but the pedigree is there.

I'm having pretty much the same experience though, wrestling with the controls, getting into an underpowered jam with the roving gangs, and such. Prefer this implementation of blast shards though. The powerups seem a little more unwieldy, but seeing as I haven't got any yet... I can't be sure.

Just hooked my 360 back up to start my backlog, which includes Vanquish, Bayonetta, Fallout:NV, Witcher 2, Skyrim DLC, Sonic Generations, Lego Star Wars Saga, RDR zombies, most of Just Cause 2 and a few others. Where to start?

By the by, I took TLOU out of the ps3 and put in dark souls, with a view to playing that, even though I didn't get on with demons soul.

Figuring it might be a better game?

Anyway, then I remembered the INF discussion, and went with that instead.

My pile of shame is legendary.

Just hooked my 360 back up to start my backlog, which includes Vanquish, Bayonetta, Fallout:NV, Witcher 2, Skyrim DLC, Sonic Generations, Lego Star Wars Saga, RDR zombies, most of Just Cause 2 and a few others. Where to start?

Start with the one you want to play the most? From your list I would go for Fallout New Vegas but that's what I like.

Portal is a masterpiece. I love it every time I play it.

I always get put off by the level loading and waiting in lifts, though. It breaks the immersion and flow if I want something to do a quick, smooth run in like Limbo. Same thing with the sequel. There must be technology now to stitch its parts into one seamless experience.

Start with the one you want to play the most? From your list I would go for Fallout New Vegas but that's what I like.

It was a close run thing between Witcher 2 and Fallout. Witcher won....that may soon change as I'm not really getting all the praise its received right now. It not bad, was expecting more somehow.