What Are You Playing?

Farley

It was a close run thing between Witcher 2 and Fallout. Witcher won....that may soon change as I'm not really getting all the praise its received right now. It not bad, was expecting more somehow.

I've not played any of the Witcher games, look forward to reading your thoughts.

It was a close run thing between Witcher 2 and Fallout. Witcher won....that may soon change as I'm not really getting all the praise its received right now. It not bad, was expecting more somehow.

Yeah I was a bit underwhelmed at the beginning but it definitely gets under your skin after a while and becomes compelling. :ph34r:

I loved Fallout 3 (and the expansions) and almost maxed it out achievement/discovery wise so was sort of fatigued with epic apocalyptic exploration when New Vegas rolled around.

I can see myself picking it up soon though and getting consumed again :blush:

At the minute I'm STILL playing Dark Souls 2, just reached the end of NG+ (during which I completed Lucatiel & Benhart's questlines) and I'm facing off against the Darklurker who I hope to vanquish on my next session :)

Also started Saint's Row the third but I'm waiting for a mate to buddy up and do the whole lot in co-op...

Ripping through Deadlight too...

I've not played any of the Witcher games, look forward to reading your thoughts.

Since you asked. I think I'm about half way through chapter 2, and the game is pissing me off no end. Janky combat, stupid mechanics such as;insta fail shit stealth section with no hint of what to do at certain points, trial and error basicaly. Stupid potion system, oh so I can't drink in combat, but how am I supposed to know what I need prior to combat? 2nd play through it probably works. Tiny maps and limited corridor mazes. Rubbish economy, it costs 600 gold to buy, but if I make it and sell it, its worth 57 gold? Okay. Fetch quests. Fetch quests. Fetch quests. Did I mention fetch quests? Very little is explained properly as far as systems and mechanics go, I have read the 360 version is much improved over the original PC release in this regard? If that's true I can't imagine how bad it must have been. Oh and the worst map system ever conceived. Gameplay is just about passable its just not as satisfying as I thought going in.

Having said that the story is fairly compelling, characters quite well written and voiced, the atmosphere is great and I am interested in the lore and characters. It has somewhat killed my hype for Witcher 3, but there is hope, going open world but maintaining the story telling, atmosphere and attention to detail, with greater monster and quest variety should make a huge difference, if they can make the combat a little less jank it will be great. Its a decent game with the potential to be great somewhere inside of it, hidden under layers of poorly thought out systems and mechanics. Its certainly not tbh saviour of WRPGs as its made out to be.

I know this is extremely contradictory, there is something about it that makes you want to see more of it despite its numerous issues.

Seems to be enjoyable but with a few flawed gameplay mechanics. I hate Fetch & retrieve quests, there were quite a few in Mass Effect 3.

I'm currently not playing anything whilst I wait for Mario Kart 8 to arrive next week.

Sin & Punishment on the Wii. Pretty wicked. Bit with the trains is shit though, doesn't make sense. Embarassing main character design as well. But otherwise, "Woooooo!!!"

Bowser's Inside Story. Hilarious.

Been playing Jet Set Radio, on XBLA, never played it before. It's a bit good, isn't it? Little frustrating at times, and think the controls could be better. Still, played it for like 5 hours straight without getting bored.

This is probably one of my biggest gaming shames but I have never finished finished a Half-Life game! I have started Half-Life and Half-Life 2 on separate occasions but I never get farther than an hour or two into the game so I am making progress as I put a good few hours into the first Half-Life today. My brother already has them all on Steam so anything to avoid the temptation of paying £50 for Watch Dogs.

I probably stopped as Half-Life gets interesting because today I just kept playing and a few hours passed without me noticing.

Wii bowling

Wii Mario kart

FIFA 13

GT6

The games room here isn't half bad.

That MK features tracks from previous version is simultaneously both a nice touch, AND a piss-take.

I don't know how to shoot in fifa. AIK vs Bristol rovers(?) was nil-nil at half time despite plenty of chances.

Transistor. Lovely game with a fairly deep combat system and wonderful art and music.

Planning on mopping up some stuff in Tropical Freeze and 3D World, which I have both completed but not 100 percent.

And Mario Kart will hit soon of course. This will be mostly a Nintendo year from the looks of it. Just like my youth. :wub:

Trying to play through all these shit wii games I got from game a while back. Tenchu Shadow Assassins I want to give a chance because From Software made it but the gameplay just feels wrong, it's clunky and whenever I'm spotted I'm forced into these first person sword fights that are ten times worse than the ones in red steel, also you can lose items and run out of the tools that allow you to progress, game was clearly designed for people who would know from the start what they are suppose to be doing.

Kirby Mass Attack. Is it possible that the Kirby series is one of the most consistently brilliant in all of videogames? This game is a delight, and I wasn't expecting it to be all played using the touchscreen, making it a worthy successor to the also delightful Power Paintbrush. Triple Deluxe looks fantastic, can't wait to play after this.

Trying to play through all these shit wii games I got from game a while back. Tenchu Shadow Assassins I want to give a chance because From Software made it but the gameplay just feels wrong, it's clunky and whenever I;m spotted I;m forced into these first person sword fights that are ten times worse than the ones in red steel, also you can lose items and run out of the tools that allow you to progress, game was clearly designed for people who would know from the start what they are suppose to be doing.

I didn't realise FROM were making the Tenchu games these days, last I played was Z on the 360. Great series, especially on PS, could do with a damn good reboot.

Managed to finish Sleeping Dogs, great action packed ending and definitely interested in a sequel.

Made a start on Dust, nice art style and combat is fun although I keep getting my arse handed to me at the first bosses (stone giants) so need to level up more as im playing on tough.

Also continuing on 100%ing Hobbit despite thinking otherwise a few days back. The OCD in me makes me continue with the mopping up of all the minikits and other collectibles.

I started playing Project Sylpheed on X360 yesterday. I've had it forever, and I remember picking it up after I enjoyed the demo in the early days of the 360's lifetime. I played about 5 or 6 missions, and I was really enjoying it - it's quite a satisfying space shooter. The mechanics are pretty good, and the customisation stuff is decent too (it's pretty much like Ace Combat in space - SpAce Combat, if you will :cool: ). But I've had to give up on it due to the utterly ridiculous arbitrary time limits it puts on every level. I got to a mission which I simply cannot do in the time limit - as there always seems to be another load of ships which turn up when I clear out all the existing ones. I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but I really can't be arsed to deal with it.

So, I started playing Poker Night at the Inventory on PC instead. This was fun, but quite slow paced. I think I'll just dip in and out of this every now and again.

Managed to finish Sleeping Dogs, great action packed ending and definitely interested in a sequel.

Made a start on Dust, nice art style and combat is fun although I keep getting my arse handed to me at the first bosses (stone giants) so need to level up more as im playing on tough.

Also continuing on 100%ing Hobbit despite thinking otherwise a few days back. The OCD in me makes me continue with the mopping up of all the minikits and other collectibles.

Yea I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs too, sequel would be most welcome.

In Dust, if I remember correctly, those stone giants cannot be harmed until after you parry one of their telegraphed moves I think.

I also played on Tough difficulty and even managed to max out all the achievements eventually, although, you will find in the later game there is definitely some grinding to do and some pretty tricky sections, still thought it was great though. :)

Just remember to create a separate back up save before you put poison ivy into Gianni's laundry as you can immediately reload and make the other choice to hit the only missable cheevo in the game :) oh and don't forget to sell one of each new material as soon as you get it so the shop can begin stocking up on it

Still playing Darksiders. There was a moment earlier on when I almost packed it in (some shitty third-person shooting bit with angelic warriors shooting at me from all sides for 20 minutes - horrible), but it definitely gets better as it goes, although the game has no original ideas of its own. Everything from God of War to Zelda to Portal gets ripped off and thrown into the melting pot. I thought I was pretty much finished but now I've got to collect the seven pieces of bollocks to beat the thing at the thing, so I have no idea how much longer is left. It does like to send you on tedious detours and starts fights every five minutes, which makes it a slight grind, but generally it's been solid fun.

I wouldn't play it again.

Still playing Darksiders. There was a moment earlier on when I almost packed it in (some shitty third-person shooting bit with angelic warriors shooting at me from all sides for 20 minutes - horrible), but it definitely gets better as it goes, although the game has no original ideas of its own. Everything from God of War to Zelda to Portal gets ripped off and thrown into the melting pot. I thought I was pretty much finished but now I've got to collect the seven pieces of bollocks to beat the thing at the thing, so I have no idea how much longer is left. It does like to send you on tedious detours and starts fights every five minutes, which makes it a slight grind, but generally it's been solid fun.

I wouldn't play it again.

Yea I'd agree with most of what you've been saying about this Sprite Machine.

I just got a bit of a flashback when you mentioned that angel shooty part *shudder*

I'd also recommend the sequel as it's a bit slicker and has more/harder puzzles and Death is cool as fuck :)

Playing Rayman Legends (360), recently, I'm caught between grinning like a loon at the imagination that's been put into every level, and the superb use of music, and then grinding my teeth/hitting myself when it takes me 30 tries to get past certain sections (the boss at the end of 20,000 Lums Under the Sea, for example - <_<). A balance of joy and frustration, then, but to give the game it's due, 99% of the time it's my own impatience or stupidity that gets me killed, not the game being unfair. The 1% of the time the game gets it wrong is usually in the trial and error speed-run sections, or in the occasional overlooked checkpoint placement. On the whole, however, it's great fun and I'd like to think that I'll stick with it long enough to find all the collectibles.

Simultaneously I'm juggling Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies on my 3DS with Papers, Please on Steam, with the occasional round of The Binding of Isaac, which is a great way to spend 15 minutes, and superb value for money for 99p. Having not played a PW game since the first one, about five years ago, it took me a while to get back into it, but by the end of the first case I was loving it once more and am looking forward to playing it once again. The premise and execution of Papers, Please are both brilliant, but I find that the concentration it requires of you to play means that I often find it a bit of an effort to boot up. Once I do, however, it's always great so I shall persevere.

Right that's it I'm giving up on Tenchu on wii, there are things in that game I can't forgive such as getting caught because the jumping is broken and because the game does stupid shit like just now when I got 2 smoke bombs which I was supposed to use to get through a room, I throw one, instead of being able to pass through the game triggers a tutorial style cutscene thing and I get caught because I thought I could pass, upon getting spotted I am greeted with a QTE button which turns out to be a smoke bomb escape. I have no smoke bombs left, I physically cannot pass through this room without restarting, the game is linear and only gives you one direction to go in.

Terrible stealth gameplay design, fuck it. Fuck Tenchu: Shadow Assassins and fuck linear stealth based puzzle design. I thought the Tenchu games were meant to be action-stealth games (and good ones at that), Shadow Assassin is nothing more than a rubbish puzzle game that is hindered by stiff controls that cause you to get caught (and ever time you get caught the game basically presses a reset button). I'm done with it.

If I ever play one of these games it will be the PS1 games or Wrath of Heaven on PS2 or something. They look a hell of a lot more fun than Shadow Assassins.

Still playing Jet Set Radio on XBLA. It's quite addictive, can feel myself getting better at it the more I play which is always a sign of how well a game is made. Loving the music too, could have sworn I heard some Mad Capsule Markets but Wikipedia tells me I was wrong. Must be something else.

Still playing Jet Set Radio on XBLA. It's quite addictive, can feel myself getting better at it the more I play which is always a sign of how well a game is made. Loving the music too, could have sworn I heard some Mad Capsule Markets but Wikipedia tells me I was wrong. Must be something else.

Amazing game. I completely rinsed the achievements on that last year.

Still on the original Max Payne when I can be arsed. It's alright but a bit dated. From seeing a few videos of the pc version, that one looks a lot better graphically. I'm on the ps2 tho. Found a great bit that I'm going to sample for a DnB track. Just recentlt got to the second main chapter.

Still on the original Max Payne when I can be arsed. It's alright but a bit dated. From seeing a few videos of the pc version, that one looks a lot better graphically. I'm on the ps2 tho. Found a great bit that I'm going to sample for a DnB track. Just recentlt got to the second main chapter.

Pretty sure the first 2 Max Payne games were PC games later ported to console. Seeing your post reminded me to go back to them. I have played both but I never completed them and I don't want to play Max Payne 3 until I have finished the first two.

Yeah I'm like that anyway with games, wanting to start from the beginning, especially if there is some kind of story continuity. I knew little about them aside from remember seeing a friend play the same one I'm going through when it first got launched on the PS2, around the time I think FFX was out as well (as he also had that too) back in 2001.