What Are You Playing?

Farley

Finally got time to try Fighter Within (Xbone) the other night. Went in with massively low expectations which helped as (shock) its not as terrible as I thought. The game seemed to pick up my random flailing's through Kinect quite well and I won a few matches (albeit through ring outs) and there is some satisfaction in managing to pull off combos. Menu control is a nightmare though, even trying to continue to the next bout (i.e. Simply selecting the continue button) took an age to work out (push open palm towards button) and even then didn't always work 100% of the time. For a tenner though I can't complain and it will be a laugh to play after a few drinks with mates. Will probably be my only Kinect purchase tbh.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've also started playing Dead Space. Three chapters done. Keeping it to small doses as it's pretty stressful! :ph34r:

Having recently finished it I found it got more and more stressful throughout. I can't honestly say I found it enjoyable, or even that frightening. Just very, very stressful.

I'm addicted to RE4. I should be playing stuff I need to get out of the way but RE4 is sooooo gooood. Playing through new game+ with a fully pimped Red9 just takes the piss, I don't even use the Striker or TMP anymore.

Having recently finished it I found it got more and more stressful throughout. I can't honestly say I found it enjoyable, or even that frightening. Just very, very stressful.

Yeah, I've abandoned this now. Enemies that come back to life are one stress too many. :ph34r:

Besides, it was starting to get very repetitive and I'd seen enough.

Time for some colour. I've started playing Guacamelee! Gold Edition. Much nicer! :D

Yeah, I've abandoned this now. Enemies that come back to life are one stress too many. :ph34r:

Besides, it was starting to get very repetitive and I'd seen enough.

Time for some colour. I've started playing Guacamelee! Gold Edition. Much nicer! :D

It's very one note isn't it. It's like that all the way to the end with barely any let up.

I'm playing Guacamelee too! Just started the Vita version.

Guacamelee was short! Got to the end (normal mode) in around six hours, which I suppose is probably about right for a Metroidvania. Missed a fair few pick-ups, but I enjoyed that a lot.

Spent 90 minutes with Antichamber, which melted my brain. I've hit dead ends in every direction so I think I'm finished with it. What does the countdown timer mean, anyway? Nothing happened at zero.

Pretty good, though. I love the way it subverts your expecations, and the non-euclidean level design is very clever (if a little frustrating!). Reminded me a bit of The Stanley Parable, the full version of which, coincidentally, I just bought in the sale, so I'll probably start on that next.

Q.U.B.E.: Director's Cut. I didn't play the original version, but they've added a story to this one. The mysterious sterile facility you find yourself in (not at all like Portal, honest guv!) now has a hamfisted explanation* by way of voice-in-your-ear mission support, but you can't talk back to them and they can't see what you're doing, so it could just as well be Stephen Fry reading the Harry Potter audio books for all the relevance it would have!

*it's like, "you're in space! You're going to crash into the Earth. Solving puzzles will stop it, somehow. Also you probably have no memory. Good luck! What, why is there gravity? Oh, sorry, can't hear you, going out of range! Bye!" :lol:

(^That's the premise, not a spoiler, incidentally.)

Got the Dark Soul cheevo in DS2 so will put it on the backburner awaiting the DLC :)

MAX PAYNE 3: Mmmm seems decent enough, if a little repetitive. Playing on Hard, with Free Aim and finding it quite tricky in places... I'll persevere...

Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call. Playing this in 30-minute sessions before bed. The bonkers story is just enough glue to hold the puzzles together, but the voice actor for Luke makes me want to break things.

Demon's Souls: I've finished Dark Souls about a dozen times, but Demon's only once. This simply will not do.

I played some wolfenstein last night. Took down an entire guardhouse single handedly.

found what I thought was a lift bug, as i'd been up on it once before, but there was a ladder as well. AI's a bit dodge though. Peeking round a corner:

"huh?"

"what the fuck?"

etc, but no shooty shooty. I only wish the PS4 had RECORDED it...

TerraTech - cute little build-your-own-tanks game. Nice Lego-ish feel - you can scavenge pieces from enemy vehicles and modify your own. Gets quite jerky when you have lots of pieces and bullets on screen, though. There's a downloadable alpha/demo here:

http://terratechgame.com/how-to-share-vehicles-on-twitter-from-the-terratech-kickstarter-demo/

Space Engineers - "a sandbox game about engineering, construction and maintenance of space works. Players build space ships and space stations of various sizes and utilization (civil and military), pilot ships and perform asteroid mining. " Lots of potential here and it looks good, but for me it just takes too long to do things, e.g. mine a rock, build a rocket engine or disassemble equipment. Perhaps that's something they'll change, I don't know. The public's youtubes are more entertaining than the official trailer. The game is available on Steam Early Access.

http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/

Star-made - "Star-Made is a Minecraft inspired 3D sandbox space shooter. Play in your own universe or on a multiplayer server to create, discover, destroy, customize, and design your own worlds." Initially it looked promising but I gave up on this relatively quickly due to the time investment and I'm not interested in memorising tons of recipes. Contrast with Space Engineers above where you build an assembler to build things and it tells you the 'ingredients' it needs to make what you order. Also something invisible kept killing me every tried to explore somewhere that looked interesting.

https://star-made.org/

PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate on the Vita - courtesy of PSN+.

Cracking little game. In fact at the moment the Vita is my favourite gaming device. Have been enjoying some really nice games on there. Tearaway, TxK, Surge Deluxe the list goes on. Many as part of the PSN+ sub too. Great gaming machine. Wish my PS4 got as much use TBH. :)

Finally completed the Generation IV Pokedex getting one of each Pokedex entry. The old Pokemon games are so slow especially when you have to trade between them, I'm happy I can now move onto Black/White which have a lot of gameplay refinements which makes them a lot nicer to play. Of course it means in a few months time I've going to have to transfer them all using the bullshit Poketransfer minigame in White.

post-243-0-45015000-1403971725_thumb.jpg

Picked up a 42 inch Pioneer Plasma screen TV last weekend for a measly £116 and I have to say, playing my PS3 so far on this is insanely good. Can't actually believe the price I paid for this thing either. Due to decorating of my room and general other busyness, I've not done a lot of gaming at all. The last few days or so I've returned back to Dead Island on my current replay game I have going and it just looks the dogs bollox. My last TV was a shitty LCD 23 inch thing from LG that I bought Christmas in 2007.