What Are You Playing?

Farley

Playing Infamous:SS and really enjoying it. Had held off getting it after watching all the pre release vids which made it look boring, but it's super slick to play; just a better iterated on version of the previous games.

Played (and finished) Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons, which I enjoyed. Short but sweet single-player co-op game. Lots of nicely thought-out control situations that aren't over-used, and it's a visual treat to journey through for a couple of hours. Probably the second prettiest game powered by the Unreal Engine that I've ever seen.

I can't say it was particularly emotional, more predictable than anything else. Nice music, though. :)

Devil May Cry 4 (360) - happy with it so far, camera can be a hindrance at times.

Raving Rabbids Big Bang (windows phone) - only game I've actually paid cash for on phone, 79p, enjoying it so far.

Did the first couple of levels of Kid Icarus: Uprising the other night; charming as fuck but my hands kept slipping off the 3DS. Hoping I can find some way to control it happily or I'm going to struggle. Also, the ground bita seemed a bit rubbish compared to the flying bits.

About two hours into Beyond: Two Souls . I'm one of those weirdos who liked Heavy Rain but this isn't really doing it for me yet. Maybe because the time jumping means that all the scenes feel a bit disjointed, or maybe because in the interim few years I've come to realise that flicking the controller up to push someone over feels completely bloody ridiculous.

Had a bit of a hiatus from Mercenary Kings but I'll go back to it before long. It's really, really good but suffers from all the Metal Slug comparisons as it's a considerably slower and cautious game. The similarities are purely aesthetic; approach it on its own terma and there's a lot of fun to be had. Banging music too.

Finally, Mario Kart 8 which is obviously fantastic but I can't help but think I'd rather be playing Blur.

S'alright everyone. As a result of having to sit guard outside the kids room to stop them from getting up and pissing about I've discovered that Kid Icarus is brilliant if I sit in my hallway with the machine resting against my legs.

Started and finished all of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger in a long hungover weekend.

Good game, well worth the £5 I paid for it, narrative structure was really smart, even if some of the boss battle were really bad.

I'm soldiering on through Assassin's Creed IV on 360. It's ok, I guess. As everyone says, the ship battles are the best part. I've found the best way to play it is to ignore all the collectibles and sidequests entirely and focus purely on the main storyline, occasionally taking out a metal-carrying ship if I see one between missions, as they're the only ones worth bothering with. When on land, I also find it useful to try to avoid the compulsion to just hold R all the time while moving because the protagonist controls like a bull in the china shop.

It looks gorgeous and you can see so much potential there, so it's a shame that the controls are as loose as they are, and that there's all the uplay bollocks all over the place, twatting you about the face the entire time, getting in the way of the game.

I'll stick with it for a while longer but I fear I'll get fed up with it, like I have with every other AC game I've played.

Recently got the bad ending on P4G. I reloaded to open up December to March. Having fought the real final boss once and failed the game has actually gone down a little in my estimation, the fake last boss is cheap, so is the real one and the mechanics of its dungeon, changing the established format.

Its still one of the best games I have ever played and I say that as someone who generally dislikes the JRPG genre, it has just soured the experience a tiny bit. I will still persevere and finish it properly, and I just started a NG+ with custom difficulty settings, because wifus.

Been playing mostly Dreamcast.

Jet Set Radio - This game is timeless, it will never look old and I will never get bored of it.

Chu Chu Rocket - Played this in the past but only really getting into it now.

Space Channel 5 - Was really enjoying this again until the game stopped working at level 3, I need to remember to take the disc to town for repairs.

Evolution - Got this in a charity shop for £2 this time last year, only started playing it now. I really like this, it's a mix between dungeon crawlers and turn based JRPG's it's pretty easy to get into.

Also been playing Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles on wii. Last played this when it first came out. This game doesn't really have any replay value (you could grind for items and files if you wanted), you could play the levels over but they aren't exactly fast paced

I’m all over the shop at the minute, with far too much vying for my attention!

3DS

My new handheld has seen a fair bit of playtime on my mammoth commutes to work and a week on holiday

Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies

My first Phoenix Wright game. I’m not far into it, just plugging away at the first case, but it seems alright. Not sure if it’s my ‘thing’ yet, though.

Animal Crossing

Bought because I miss playing the original GC version, but since those days I discovered MMOs, so this feels a little pointless, now. I’ve still logged in most days to pull weeds and catch bugs, though.

Zelda: Link between worlds

Old school Zelda at its best. I’m enjoying it, but not put nearly enough time into it.

Castlevania: Something about a mirror

It’s ok so far, but hasn’t really grabbed me.

Aliens Infestation

It’s good but very, very cheap, particularly the bosses. Also, the flamethrower is utter turd.

Wii U

ZombiU

I like this but not put all that much time into it. Seems good, but the dirt effect that is constantly on the camera is annoying. It’s also hard to see anything, it’s so bloody dark!

NSMBU

Great game, but it’s quite difficult and I don’t like the time trial/speed run aspect of it.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Mario Kart 8

Great as always.

PS4

Killzone

I’ve still not got off the forest level since getting this in January…must go back to it…

Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag

I can see that this is a return to form for the series, back to the days of AC2 (which was my favourite), but meh…seriously can’t get into it.

Knack

Load of knackers.

Wolfenstein the New Order

Brilliant fun.

PC

Wildstar

Great new MMO that not enough people are playing. Hardcore!

Divinity: Original Sin

Amazing. The isometric epic RPG I’ve been waiting for.

Finished off a couple of games

Zelda : A Link Between Worlds

Wow. I thinks its probably my favourite handheld game of all time and my 3rd favourite Zelda (behind WW and OOT). Utterly compelling from start to finish. Playing this reminds me that NOBODY touches Nintendo when they bring their A game.

Murdered Soul Suspect

Very good indeed, but the combat was just plain annoying. Good if simple puzzle solving and an intersting plot.

Just finished playing Knack.

You know what? I really, really enjoyed it. Doing absolutely nothing especially taxing, yet I found it great fun.

Absolutely undemanding stuff, but I'm a fairly undemanding sort of chap I guess.

g871612-561295_front.jpg

Loved the shit out of it ten years ago, fired it up last night and it's still a great fuckin' game.

And it's still got the best feeling PUNCHES in a videogame.

Works fine on the 360 aside from a few sound glitches.

Started Dishonored this evening and played for two and a half hours straight. It's great! The world's so interesting. Reminds me a lot of Fallout and Half life 2, with a bit of Bioshock as well. I've been reading all the books and stuff about whales.

Got quite a lot on atm considering I picked a few games on sale/ 3 for 2 from GAME the other week. Just coming to the end of my Wolfenstein playthrough before I run back through for remaining achievement. Glad I got it for a sale price, it's a fun FPS but I think I would have been disappointed I had paid full retail price for it.

I'm actually at a crossroads of what to play next so any suggestions here are welcome. My choices:

Dead Space 3 (Loved the first 2 but have put off playing this because of the added co-op etc.)

Skyrim

FF13-3 (Big FF fan, played the first two parts and picked this up at sale price just so i can finish the trilogy off. )

Tomb Raider (Heard great things about this but never really felt the urge to play it.)

Still on Zelda Wind Waker, currently visiting temples to restore power to the Master Sword.

I had a brief pause whilst I completed the first three episodes of Walking Dead season 2 & with the Destiny Beta out this week Zelda WW will take a back seat.

Got quite a lot on atm considering I picked a few games on sale/ 3 for 2 from GAME the other week. Just coming to the end of my Wolfenstein playthrough before I run back through for remaining achievement. Glad I got it for a sale price, it's a fun FPS but I think I would have been disappointed I had paid full retail price for it.

I'm actually at a crossroads of what to play next so any suggestions here are welcome. My choices:

Dead Space 3 (Loved the first 2 but have put off playing this because of the added co-op etc.)

Skyrim

FF13-3 (Big FF fan, played the first two parts and picked this up at sale price just so i can finish the trilogy off. )

Tomb Raider (Heard great things about this but never really felt the urge to play it.)

Skyrim without a shadow of a doubt, although if you haven't played Oblivion I'd recommend you do that first as, while still being a great game it will seem a lot worse post-Skyrim (a true masterpiece in my opinion) Tomb Raider was pretty great too and would compliment Skyrim as a different gameplay style if you played them together I reckon :) Dunno about FF13...

Quite powerfully addicted to Race the Sun at the moment. This is the blurb if you haven’t heard of it:

Race The Sun is a high-speed game that uses simple controls and is set in a procedurally generated world. The goal is to get the highest possible score by racing into the sunset, avoiding obstacles and enemies, and collecting speed boosts and other powerups to help you along the way. You fly a solar-powered craft, and the game ends at sundown, if you can make it that far!

I’m up to level 15, and completed a few of the Achievements, received lots of decals and some of the better power-ups. I love three things about this (aside from the gameplay, natch, which is really finely-tuned): 1) the fact it gets ‘easier’ (although that’s a relative term in this game) as you go along, collecting improvements to your ship, 2) the newly-generated world each day and 3) the lovely user-generated content. It can be brutally hard for an infinite runner (expect to die a LOT) but it really grabs you and doesn't let go.

Also ploughing my way through the SP courses in Mario Kart 8, which remains a complete joy and GOTY so far.