What Are You Playing?

Farley

I'm playing Resident Evil Revelations on pc atm. It's awful imo. I don't understand wtf is going in, why despite bio weapons being a complete and utter FAIL do the bad guys in the game STILL keep trying to use them, and why they keep sending in one or two people with handguns when clearly something has gone seriously fucking wrong and like thousands of people have died.

Resident Evil logic eh.

Played and completed Another Code: Two memories.

Every time I finish a game that was developed by Cing I get a bit upset because the studio split up years ago when Last Window was released. It's really easy and short by adventure game standards but Cing adventure games tend to do a good job at telling mystery stories and although the puzzles get some shit (fuck the slider puzzle) it did show what I thought were some cool ideas for how the DS could be used (closing the console half way so that the screen reflection makes a sign), if anything it was a good foundation builder for Hotel Dusk.

Ratchet and Clank 1 (Vita)

Despite adoring the PS3 games I've never played the original trilogy so having taken advantage of this being cheap on PSN for the cross play version I've started at the very beginning. And its fun, a bit clunky - 3D platform games really have moved on in terms of navigation and it badly misses the 3PS controls from the PS3 versions but it looks very pretty on the Vita despite its age and the game lends itself to a handheld with lots of shortish missions. Enjoying so far.

Disney Infinity (WiiU)

Picked up the starter set for 20 notes from amazon and have now managed to get the 3 other playsets for around a tenner a piece, which so the whole thing (well extra figures aside) has only cost me just over £50 which seems reasonable.

Thought I'd better work out how it all works before introducing my son to it (he's already seen the Toy Story and Cars figures arrive and is itching to dive in) so I popped this on and quite impressed so far. The intro is lovely and I spent an hour or so in Pirates playset and thoroughly enjoyed it - the sailing and random islands to explore are very Wind Waker and Jack's mix of swordplay and guns are remarkably satisfying to use. Tis a bit glitch in places though which is a shame as otherwise its very pretty. Hopefully the Cars and Toy Story playsets are as good as that is all mini Dream is going to want to play mind!

Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS).

Struggling on the "comms officer" boss. He's a toughie. Particularly without a shotgun.

Yes, it's another Resident Evil game where I failed to pick up the shotgun. :lol:

Can I go back and get it? I'm right at the auto-save point, so backtracking may not be practical. I'll give it another couple of tries, but it's pretty annoying and clunky. :(

EDIT: Got it and got 'im. Man, that was tough!

Edited by Sprite Machine

I played Bastion tonight for about 40 minutes before deleting it. The narrator gimmick was just irritating and the gameplay was all too much of a clusterfuck.

I then loaded up Saints Row The Third, another Games With Gold game. That lasted about an hour, twenty minutes of which I spent creating my character, and while it made me chuckle on a whole two occasions the complete lack of challenge made me feel entirely disengaged from what my character was doing, as if I wasn't playing at all but watching a gameplay demo.

All these games I've accrued recently for free/cheaply make me very impatient, I've found. If I'm not hooked more or less straight away then off the hard drive it comes, never to be played again. I'll see tomorrow if Sleeping Dogs passes the test.

So I didn't bother with Sleeping Dogs but tried Deadlight instead. For the first hour it was ok, and I was starting to wonder what everyone's problem with it was, then it got shit so I ragequit and deleted it.

I also tried Dust: An Elysian Trail but couldn't stand the sub-Disney art style or shit voice acting, so that got deleted too.

I'm now playing Gears of War 3, which is good, bombastic, steroid-pumped blockbuster fun, so that's good. I forgot I owned it. I think I might have borrowed it from my brother about two years ago.

So I didn't bother with Sleeping Dogs but tried Deadlight instead. For the first hour it was ok, and I was starting to wonder what everyone's problem with it was, then it got shit so I ragequit and deleted it.

I also tried Dust: An Elysian Trail but couldn't stand the sub-Disney art style or shit voice acting, so that got deleted too.

I'm now playing Gears of War 3, which is good, bombastic, steroid-pumped blockbuster fun, so that's good. I forgot I owned it. I think I might have borrowed it from my brother about two years ago.

I completed both Deadlight & Dust and enjoyed both. Deadlight had one section where you had to time jumps that took me a while but otherwise I quite enjoyed it. Dust was ok and follows the metroid blueprint a bit more by having you backtrack to get certain items & new skills/weapons unlocked new areas. Towards the end I rushed the last section but again it was ok to play.

If you have not played Shadow Conplex then I would strongly recommend it is easily the best metroidvania game I have played (bar Batman Arkham Asylum) in a long time.

I completed both Deadlight & Dust and enjoyed both. Deadlight had one section where you had to time jumps that took me a while but otherwise I quite enjoyed it. Dust was ok and follows the metroid blueprint a bit more by having you backtrack to get certain items & new skills/weapons unlocked new areas. Towards the end I rushed the last section but again it was ok to play.

If you have not played Shadow Conplex then I would strongly recommend it is easily the best metroidvania game I have played (bar Batman Arkham Asylum) in a long time.

I was doing ok in Deadlight up until the bit where you had to run away from a helicopter: I died about 10 times in a row on the exact same bit where the guy would climb over a fence so bloody slooooooowly, especially considering he was just about to get ripped to bits by a machinegun. It wound me right up and I just lost the will to see it through. I would have persevered and just treated it as a blip had I been enjoying it a lot more up until that point, but as it was I just found it to be an okay-ish rehash of the far better Prince of Persia XBLA, Limbo and (as you mention) Shadow Complex, albeit a lot more shallow than all of those games. I think the biggest thing I didn't like about it, however, was the amount of time it took to reload. It sounds trivial, but waiting 15 seconds every time for the game to plonk you back to the last checkpoint is a long, long time in this type of trial and error, instadeath game.

Dust I *might* go back to, as and when I have nothing better to play. Not being a big fan of brawlers/combo-em-ups, I was surprised to find the combat quite accessible and generous in the amount of time it gives you to parry and dodge,so things were looking up. But then I got to a village where you have to talk to lots of bunnies about their problems, and that was more than saccharine enough for my tastes. My girlfriend was in the room giving me 'WTF are you playing?' looks, so I turned it off embarrassedly.

I might replay Shadow Complex again now though because you've got me thinking about it again. That was a great game.

I was doing ok in Deadlight up until the bit where you had to run away from a helicopter: I died about 10 times in a row on the exact same bit where the guy would climb over a fence so bloody slooooooowly, especially considering he was just about to get ripped to bits by a machinegun. It wound me right up and I just lost the will to see it through. I would have persevered and just treated it as a blip had I been enjoying it a lot more up until that point, but as it was I just found it to be an okay-ish rehash of the far better Prince of Persia XBLA, Limbo and (as you mention) Shadow Complex, albeit a lot more shallow than all of those games. I think the biggest thing I didn't like about it, however, was the amount of time it took to reload. It sounds trivial, but waiting 15 seconds every time for the game to plonk you back to the last checkpoint is a long, long time in this type of trial and error, instadeath game.

Dust I *might* go back to, as and when I have nothing better to play. Not being a big fan of brawlers/combo-em-ups, I was surprised to find the combat quite accessible and generous in the amount of time it gives you to parry and dodge,so things were looking up. But then I got to a village where you have to talk to lots of bunnies about their problems, and that was more than saccharine enough for my tastes. My girlfriend was in the room giving me 'WTF are you playing?' looks, so I turned it off embarrassedly.

I might replay Shadow Complex again now though because you've got me thinking about it again. That was a great game.

Yes that's a tough sequence in Deadlight, it's the one that I got stuck at for a bit but very satisfying when you pull it off.

Dust is well presented, I was impressed with the different voice acting. It might look disney-esque but it certainly does not play like it. It can be a tough game at times.

Disappointed Chair/Epic did not release another Shadow Complex. With my limited time I don't have the time to replay games because I've always got something new to enjoy.

Currently taking a break from Zelda Wind Waker & enjoying the Destiny Beta.

Disappointed Chair/Epic did not release another Shadow Complex. With my limited time I don't have the time to replay games because I've always got something new to enjoy.

That's an utterly terrible reason, hahaha. If you liked it, use your limited time to replay it rather than take a punt on something new!

That's an utterly terrible reason, hahaha. If you liked it, use your limited time to replay it rather than take a punt on something new!

My waiting to play list is huge & I would rather experience something new instead of replaying a game.

Loom (PC, 1990). What a novel approach to interacting with items! Having to make a little list of the tunes. :)

Turns out the Steam version is the 1992 CD-ROM edition with improved graphics and speech (yay!) but with some of the dialogue and content stripped out (boo!). So that soured it a little bit, but I enjoyed it anyway. A short game, but it didn't need to be any longer. Interacting using tunes is nicely intuitive (usually - only one glimpse of an FAQ required, to use 'vanish' on the workers in the tower outside first? What?). The first time you work out you can

play any draft backwards

is wonderful.

A shame it doesn't have a proper ending.

I'm in the mood for more classic P&Cs now; I might fire up another...

EDIT: Started playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Yay, multiple action buttons! :D

Edited by Sprite Machine

Playing Rage atm with the high res texture mod. Quality, quality shooter except for having to backtrack to claim rewards after EVERY mission. Too much travelling about.

Started in on Bioshock Infinite in 1999 mode, also. Loving it.

Magic 2015 - It's really shit. They've added full deck building, but locked a bunch of cards that are in the game you just paid for behind an additional paywall, which is tremendous bullshit. Also there are a bunch of cards that were in the trailer that aren't in the game but are in the first DLC. Also they've also stripped out every other format like Sealed or Draft or Commander even though those would be perfect for the deck building and would also sidestep the microtransaction shitshow like Hearthstones Arena does. All the menus are slower than ever, the interface is atrocious.

I thought added competition would mean they'd step up their game, but there's not a single metric in which this isn't worse value than any of the previous ones, just play Hearthstone instead.

Finally got around to properly playing and completing Alan Wake. Really enjoyed it - never managed to get beyond the first couple of chapters before, but it was a decent game. The landscape is still very very pretty. Also think the physics effects still hit the spot!

I've slowed down a bit on gaming in the last few months, and right now I'm midway through a re-run of Dead Island, a game I love to hate. Visually it's great, and there is a lot of freedom to move around, but after a certain point it just starts to feel repetitive and a bit tedious. It's quite a long game as well, as it took me about just under 82 hours to do the main game last time with that black guy, but this time I'm now back through it again with the asian girl (to switch things up a bit) and hiave passed about 41 hours while getting about half way through the completion percentage. I can't help but search for loot and take my time in games.

I can see the annoyance of both myself levelling up being linked directly to the level of all the enemies in the game. It feel now that the standard walkers are even harder than ever since I've got to about Lv36. You can literally lose 80% of health with one hit. I'm sure it wasn't quite this bad before I returned back to the streets. I must have been doing more fighting in this play through, because on the stats, I've manage to die more times than I did after finishing the entire game through the first time round and I'm half way in. They also have this habit of spawning enemies right behind you when you go to engage in a fight with a stray walker. That pisses me off so much, as it's very hard to judge and is always unpredictable.

The missions you carry out throughout the game are one of the reasons why I think this game gets stagnant, as they are just so mundane and samey, without much substance to them. Fetch quests at their finest. I've also been trying to get hold of the secret skulls, of which there are 5 in total and find their secret placing spot for each one. Last time I played, I found a few skulls but didn't know what they were for until I'd finished the game. This time I've managed to find 4 and all their placing spots, leaving just one skull left and it's spot to take it to. The problem though, is that one of them I found I can no longer take it to its spot unless I play the game again in Game + mode. There's a house you find a blue skull in, follwed by a coloured arrow on the wall (denotes placement spot) pointing down toward an oven in a kitech that's switched on. Once you find this house and leave, you can't return at all. It pisses me off when they do this sort of shit in games for no reason what so ever. Clearly the only reason I can think of is to force you to go back through the game again so that you might continue to play. So ultimately, I can't really do these. Each skull taken to the right location reveals a unique special weapon mod, and I've read that if you get all 5 and combine them together, you can get some sort of ultimate weapon.

Including DLC play time and both main games, the stats of play time stand around 131 hours. I can't believe I've put that sort of time into DI.

I'm playing street fighter 4 AE. All the evo stuff last week really made me want to play it again.

Looking forward to getting the retail version of ultra next week even though I hear that Hugo is a mammoth pile of balls. This deeply saddens me as Hugo was one of my favourites in SF3