What Are You Playing?

Farley

I just started Dungeons and Dragons: Dark Alliance, completed the first act and not sure if I want to continue or not. Maybe I should try some online play, but it felt a little tedious.

Downloaded Aaerro Complete Edition for xbox in the sale (£3)

Never heard it of it but watched the trailer and the look of it had me. Then all the praise from reviewers in the video. 

Glad I bought it, fucking hell it's amazing. It's Guitaroo Man crossed with Rez crossed with Thumper and has some amazing tunes. 

All I can think while playing is "why is this not talked about everywhere?" 

^ yeah aaero is ace! think its really cheap on steam too at the moment, i might re-buy it, and yeah it didn't seem too popular unfortunately. there's a thread somewhere... 

what am i playing? just finished hitman 3, it was good!

Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 Pro. Had this since launch and only just gave it the time it deserves. Literally paid launch prices and then played for about 20 minutes. Keep doing that, Nioh 2 was an amazing example, launch day price and by the time I got around to wanting to play it had released on PC. Abandoned my PS4 purchase and bought it again for the better shiny shite. Still only played 30 minutes of TLoU2 and god forgive me about an hour of BotW. Both launch day purchases.

Anyway, GoT is fantastic. It has all the hooks I love, beautiful graphics and a world full of surprises and progression. Plenty of freedom to just piss around and collect flowers and stuff too.

Just posted about this in a 15 year old thread. COD 2. I fired this up in the bedroom setup on 360. I think I had the urge after watching an old 1UP show from the 360 launch and I was curious how far I'd progressed all those years ago. About half way through by the looks. I thought I'd give it a little try at my saved checkpoint and...well, several hours later I'm still playing. What a fantastic game it was/is. I remember it being tough as balls at the difficulty I'm playing at but I must have improved my skills in the intervening years because I'm making good progress and surmise I'll have it wrapped up tonight. I fucking love getting surprised by the forgotten quality of old games I used to play, the mix of fun and nostalgia is a powerful combination.

On 03/07/2021 at 22:09, Qazimod said:

In the absence of any new things coming out (until Neo TWEWY), I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy III (VI). Again. I played through it for the first time in 2020 and it was ace, but I wanted to go back and try a couple of things. First, I wanted to try and record some gameplay and maybe host some clips on Twitch or something (I have a YouTube channel but I don't really use it for gameplay footage anymore) - but I also wanted to see what else could be done in the endgame. I kind of got lucky in my first playthrough because I found an "economizer" relic which reduced the cost of one character's magic to 1MP, so the rest of the game was nothing but cheap Ultima spam. :D I don't mind that happening again... but I later found out that the relic has a pretty low drop chance in the area I found it, so I might look at ways to safely/reliably find rare relics. Or I might work on an alternate approach that doesn't depend on such a valuable accessory.

I got the economizer. But more importantly, I found a much more reliable way to defeat those dinosaurs that occasionally dropped it. It turns out that they don't like Ice attacks, and there's a detour to Narshe that grants an esper with Ice3 ("Tritoch"). On top of that, I tracked down Relm, learned Sabin's 360 motion Blitz attack, and got the item from the Zone Eater that lets Relm "control" things. So I'd throw lots of Ice, Blitz and Control moves in, and the dinosaur would take tons of damage - and only occasionally get turns in. Beyond that I just had to hope for luck with the few moves I was hit with (no "Meteor" attacks)... but I feel like I stacked the odds more in my favour this time.

I probably won't need more than one economizer if my original playthrough was anything to go by, so I'll continue on.

Metro Exodus

Digital Foundry talk like the new upgrade makes it the most technologically advanced game ever. Maybe so, I don't see it. 60fps is great but this opening area is nothing special compared to other games. 

Game seems OK gameplay wise so far. Nothing special. 

13 hours ago, Ry said:

Metro Exodus

Digital Foundry talk like the new upgrade makes it the most technologically advanced game ever. Maybe so, I don't see it. 60fps is great but this opening area is nothing special compared to other games. 

Game seems OK gameplay wise so far. Nothing special. 

Exodus really doesn't get going until you get on the train.

Although ironically I thought its best moments were much later on when it returns to the claustrophobic tunnels of the earlier games

Thought I'd finally get around to playing Super Metroid on the Switch SNES VC.

I had a SNES growing up but never had Metroid - the series as a whole is a blind spot for me. Interestingly I never had any deeper single player SNES games as a child (e.g RPGs,Metroidvanias, etc.). Multiplayer stuff or level based platformers that I could play with friends was basically it. 

Anyway, like an hour in. It's good, I never got into a Metroidvania game before if I'm honest. I played one of the Shantae games once, but found it frustrating and game up pretty quickly. Hopefully I don't find myself doing that again with Super Metroid.

A few year ago I bought The Evil Within for PS4. I had it on PS3 and didn't get along with it and I thought a more powerful console would fix the many problems it had.  It didn't.  PS4 was still a jerky mess.  But there was something about it and I played to completion despite the many issues it had. Evil Within 2 was a better game. 

Now, with Gamepass I'm playing part one on Xbox Series X.  It's not patched like the ultra smooth EW2 but it seems that bit better and there's a decently playable game now.  And I'm really enjoying it. One thing is that it's a massive time sink.  It's got me playing for 2 - 3 hours a session without realising.  The time just flies.  I wish they would patch it for 60fps and also fix a couple of design issues (the trip wire traps are still inpossible to see or avoid) but it's a really great game and deserves the patches it's sequel has had. I'd argue that a patched EW1 would actually make it the better game of the series.  

Two levels down in Halo Reach - and both levels were terrific.  Seems a bit tougher than Halo 5 but looks terrific for a 360 title.  A promising start.  It's been years and years since I last played on Master Chief Collection though, so I can't get used to the different controls - RB to reload and LT to throw grenades?!  What's that all about?  

I look forward to playing some Halo 5 online next week.

15 hours ago, TomatoConvenienceStore said:

Thought I'd finally get around to playing Super Metroid on the Switch SNES VC.

I had a SNES growing up but never had Metroid - the series as a whole is a blind spot for me. Interestingly I never had any deeper single player SNES games as a child (e.g RPGs,Metroidvanias, etc.). Multiplayer stuff or level based platformers that I could play with friends was basically it. 

Anyway, like an hour in. It's good, I never got into a Metroidvania game before if I'm honest. I played one of the Shantae games once, but found it frustrating and game up pretty quickly. Hopefully I don't find myself doing that again with Super Metroid.

I’m fairly confident that I once watched a complete speed run of Super Metroid back in the day, yet have never invested those couple of hours to actually play through it. Meanwhile I could knock out Sonic 2 in 50 minutes with a blindfold on.

I might try to motivate myself into playing it this weekend ahead of what we’re getting from the franchise down the road.

18 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Two levels down in Halo Reach - and both levels were terrific.  Seems a bit tougher than Halo 5 but looks terrific for a 360 title.  A promising start.  It's been years and years since I last played on Master Chief Collection though, so I can't get used to the different controls - RB to reload and LT to throw grenades?!  What's that all about?  

I look forward to playing some Halo 5 online next week.

You can change the controls to match whatever Halo game you want, as far as I can remember!

On 05/07/2021 at 14:02, new666uk said:

Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY on PC - join us! The more the merrier!

Wait....you mean the original, I would have expected that to be filled with cheaters?

My Psychonauts replay is bringing back good and bad memories. Truly a game that's greater than the sum of its parts. 

Getting me in the mood for the sequel, though. They've had plenty of time to sort out the quibbles from the first!

Yakuza Like a Dragon 

Death Stranding 

Doom Eternal 

My god these are long games. Don't usually have this many games on the go, but they are that long I needed to break it up with something else. Might finish them by end of the year haha. 

16 hours ago, Stevie said:

Wait....you mean the original, I would have expected that to be filled with cheaters?

Yes, the original.

There are some cheats using aimbots for sure but in the main the players who're left are genuinely those who enjoy the game and we quickly call out those cheats. I play on the SFL and CON servers, which are a mix of camper and run n' gun style games. 

Just finished Hyper Light Drifter, so I'm out of games that I have in progress that aren't FF7R or TLoU2 again. Drifter was magic though, I love how snappy the combat is, and how that you don't need to have gathered specific "triangles" to get to each area boss, just a certain number of them. And what an intriguing world!

Pretty much only playing Guilty Gear Strive for now; don't have much time to play, currently at ~35 hours since launch (which isn't much for a fighting game). Having a great time with it and have found it easier to get into than earlier games in the series.

I also started The Last of Us 2 when the PS5 patch released. Played for a few hours but the game still hadn't really started and I haven't felt like going back to it. I insist on finishing it before starting another single player game, though.

Tempted to play through the Metroid series ahead of Dread as well. 

I finished Ori & the Blind Forest (second time, this time on Switch) earlier and went immediately onto Will of the Wisps which rather shamefully I’ve owned since before Christmas. Put it on for ten minutes, got annoyed by the slightly too long prologue, then thoroughly charmed for about an hour. Just moving in those games is better than the entirety of most other games. Loving it.

Also Resident Evil 3 (remake) and Disgaea 6, both of which are as fun as they are hideous-looking, albeit the former is intentionally so at least. 

Ratchet and Clank : Rift Apart. Really enjoying it nice to play something that is full of humour and lovely environments. Old school gameplay I guess but the time rifts make things a bit more interesting. The visuals are lovely too as is the sound. Like playing an interactive Pixar cartoon.

Still going with my Halo play through, and it’s pushed everything else out for now. Now finished Halo 2 and onto Halo 3

One advantage of playing them straight through like this is that I finally understand the story (so far at least!). I never really paid attention to who the arbiter was, why did was suddenly fighting brutes instead of elites etc. Makes sense now!

DOOM (2016) - good craic with satisfying combat. 

ASSASSIN'S CREED: ODYSSEY - enjoying it but I have to play in short bursts or I find the gameplay loop a bit tiresome. Looks real nice on One X 4K too.

PREY - Loving this when I'm in the zone. 

DARK SOULS II: SOTFS - This is my go to online game I usually only play when I'm having a few beers, currently having trouble with the Fume Knight but I'll beat him eventually. I'm also trying to max out all achievements like I did with the vanilla version so I'll be playing this for sometime. 

Almost finished Doom Eternal thankfully. Enjoyed it for the first few hours but I don’t really ever remember a game quite outstaying it’s welcome as much as this. Feels like it’s 4 hours to long. 

Ive been getting into Magic Arena on iOS lately.

They’ve done a really good job with the game and it’s just about playable on my phone at work. I seem to win maybe 75% of my games and it’s always a great feeling. 
some games I get my arse absolutely kicked because they’re pulling cards out at an illegal rate

A HAT IN TIME - I picked this up for £12 (50% off in Xbox store) as I'd read good reviews of it and I enjoy 3D platformers. So far it's got some charming characters and enemies while the gameplay is quite varied and unpredictable. Looking forward to getting back at it as it makes for a nice contrast to my other current games...

On 03/07/2021 at 22:09, Qazimod said:

In the absence of any new things coming out (until Neo TWEWY), I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy III (VI). Again. I played through it for the first time in 2020 and it was ace, but I wanted to go back and try a couple of things. First, I wanted to try and record some gameplay and maybe host some clips on Twitch or something (I have a YouTube channel but I don't really use it for gameplay footage anymore) - but I also wanted to see what else could be done in the endgame. I kind of got lucky in my first playthrough because I found an "economizer" relic which reduced the cost of one character's magic to 1MP, so the rest of the game was nothing but cheap Ultima spam. :D I don't mind that happening again... but I later found out that the relic has a pretty low drop chance in the area I found it, so I might look at ways to safely/reliably find rare relics. Or I might work on an alternate approach that doesn't depend on such a valuable accessory.

Finished FFIII (VI) last night. Not all of my clips are online yet but I'll probably have one or two big upload/stream/share sessions in the future. Annoyingly, I kept my first four characters for most of the final boss sequence, but I forgot that the second-to-last phase uses an instakill move on a character when it's done. I spent hours getting everyone prepared with suitable gear and levels and Espers though, so it wasn't a massive hurdle.

Super Castlevania IV - Been revisiting the SNES library with my son and this still stands the test of time. It was fantastic revisiting all the classic stages and the gameplay design choices made result in a true classic for the system. 

I was also pleasantly surprised that the difficulty led to my son rising to the challenge and being determined to beat it which he did. 

6 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

Trying to get into Life is Strange 2 after putting it down a year ago. For some reason I bounced off this despite loving the other games in the series and loving walking simulators (and episode 1 had a lot of walking.)

I’ve gone back to this recently too. Made it to the last chapter but not finding much motivation to continue. Must get back to it as would be a shame to abandon it so close to the end. 

• gospvg unpinned this topic