What Are You Playing?

Farley

Been playing Atomicrops (gamepass) when i get a minute. Its great fun but damn its hard. Really hard achievements as well. 

I wish there was some kind of permanent upgrades though to make it a bit easier. 

Is there not? It's been a while since I played it, but I thought there was stuff to unlock in the hub area between runs.

Edit: Or maybe it was just alternative characters with different starting bonuses.

5 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Is there not? It's been a while since I played it, but I thought there was stuff to unlock in the hub area between runs.

Edit: Or maybe it was just alternative characters with different starting bonuses.

Yeah it looks like charachters only. I have only played about 4 hours though. Maybe stuff unlocks. 

Struggling to make it through one year. I get to the Nuclear Winter stage and i have no idea how to damage that boss. 

35 minutes ago, Ry said:

Yeah it looks like charachters only. I have only played about 4 hours though. Maybe stuff unlocks. 

Struggling to make it through one year. I get to the Nuclear Winter stage and i have no idea how to damage that boss. 

I stopped after finishing a year. That's an ending of sorts anyway.

As I recall you can't damage the boss by shooting it, only by

Spoiler

harvesting crops.

I started Necromunda: Hired Gun on Series X. As a fan of the license it's a nice bit of fan service, but the Xbox version is broken pretty badly. It crashes during or after almost every mission and glitches like fuck. I wouldn't recommend the Xbox version until it's patched.

We've been playing through the Taiwanese horror adventure "Detention" on Switch as a couple couch coop sort of a thing. It starts off quite gently in terms of the complexity of the puzzles and the themes but it really keeps building. The best horror is sociopolitical and this is one of the few games I've played which really goes down that road. Yes, it's very obviously a young team's first project in terms of technical ambition and scope but it's also extremely confident in its content. I'm really disappointed that Devotion probably won't get a console release as a result of Steam shitting the bed.

I was recommended Last Stop by Game Pass and decided to give it a whirl and went in totally blind, I didn’t even know what genre it was.

The story grabbed me right away and even though the animation is a bit shit I really warmed to its looks quite quickly. I ended up finishing the game in two sittings as the story got its hooks in me. 

It’s more a visual novel than an actual game but I really enjoyed it. This is one of those perfect Game Pass games that just pops up from nowhere and surprises me with with an experience I’d overlooked if it hadn’t been a part of the service. 

As a visual novel and a fairly original take on story telling in video games, this was a solid 8/10 for me.

Finished Ys Origin with Yunica. Loved the game but not inclined to play through it twice again right now with different characters. Also farmed for SP a lot and  accrued a decent amount of XP along the way, so the last bosses were really, really easy.

Moved on to Bioshock on 360 now and I'm blown away by how amazing it looks on the Xbox One X. Stunning effort put into the backwards compatibility.

Ghost of Tsushima

Finished the first act. It’s just dull, really. I’ve got it on hard but there’s zero challenge, really. The parry mechanic is insanely easy. 

im about to head up to the north island, but so far it feels like I’m mooching about in an open world game where I’ve already completed the main story. 

Finished Detention on Switch which was a powerful and elegant horror game. I remembered that I’d first noticed it in an Edge Time Extend and as luck would have it, it was in an anniversary issue I still have. So I’ll re-read that.

The Amnesia games are £2.50 in the Switch sale so it seemed rude not to get those, but realistically I’ll probably be on the latter chapters of FF7R for a few weeks.

11 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Finished Detention on Switch which was a powerful and elegant horror game. I remembered that I’d first noticed it in an Edge Time Extend and as luck would have it, it was in an anniversary issue I still have. So I’ll re-read that.

That was one of mine. Nice to know it did its job. 

I've been in a real weird spot when it comes to games - a lot of the staples I played because of their continued development have either ran their course for a seasonal period (Destiny 2), took a weird turn that has left the game feel content restricted (PSO2), or just straight up feel bad due to recent changes (Path of Exile).

As a result, I've fallen into the horrific world of F2P Gacha games - namely Arknights and Genshin Impact. Thankfully, the recent events in both games have meant that I've just been plodding through both of their main campaigns without considering digging out my credit card for either. Arknights is my first foray into Tower Defense games, and I do like the RPG-centric spin they've put into investing into character units and the general progression and ethos that you actually need to be a good player before you actually see big benefits from ultra-rare units that you'd normally spend money on in a P2W scenario.

Genshin is bootleg BotW exploration, right down to the fact that I had to sit down with the game for a little while to just get into it like Zelda. But it's just a great world to explore once you do - You don't even mind the measly gacha currency it hands out, as you can happily wander across the countryside and batter enemy camps for hours on end for the grand sum of fuck-all pounds.

Outside of those two, me and some friends tried a co-op campaign of The Ascent, but it's been far too buggy to consider it a success - having to forward ports to host a game, hard crashes, times when you simply couldn't leave a game and as a result having to ALT+F4 the bugger, progression loss if someone's got too far ahead and joins another session, all sorts of shit. Which is a shame, because we all think the game is good - Looks and sounds amazing, and it's fun to play. But I think it really needed a couple of months in an Early Access program before the general public got their hands on it.

And I played an hour or so of Guilty Gear Strive, mainly because I ripped apart my TE1 arcade stick and bolted it back together with new plexi, Seimitsu buttons/stick, transferred my Brook UFB into it and changed the back panel to a Buttercade Door Replacement to get all those fancy Touchpad/L3/R3 functions and a Neutrik jack installed. Tried out Goldlewis, seems alright. Would prefer a port of VF5:FS, though.

PS4: Neo: The World Ends With You.

It's pretty much the only other game aside from Rhythm Doctor and R-Type Final 2 that I've been looking forward to this year, and so far it's... good. Not amazing - some of the gameplay gimmicks are a bit meh and some battles are difficulty spikes - but there's enough in there to keep me playing. The presentation is excellent and there's a lot you can do in terms of customisation - it just wavers in terms of quality time spent with gameplay bits.

Uncharted 4 (on PS4). I love all the others, though weirdly I don’t seem to be able to shoot very well in this. Putting sensitivity down to its lowest so I can swing the PS4 sticks around and hopefully hit someone. 

Frustrating when I just don’t really feel in control when shoot-outs happen, and it removes me from some of the absolutely barnstorming set pieces. 

The dressing is still remarkable though. Startling visuals and lighting, and the easy dialogue really makes it an enjoyable ride. One bit where Nathan wades into some water to waist height, and he goes “Hooo! That’s refreshing.” Just lovely little details like that make it worth it. 

Elite Dangerous. The one on game pass. 

I did the tutorial and have been floating near a planet for about an hour whilst getting things wrong. It seems I failed my first mission even though I don’t know what it was. 

No idea what I’m doing. 

Arkham Knight. 

I've gone through the game a number of times, and - for me at least - it holds up so damn well. Visually, it's still enormously impressive, and in terms of gameplay it remains terrific. I know there's varying degrees of love/hate for the bat mobile sections, but honestly I love 'em...mainly because when you're on a roll shooting things it almost becomes hypnotic as you dodge and blow 'em to kingdom come.

So much attention to detail all the way through it. 

Plus, there's *that* bit which has always managed to make me jump, no matter how many times I expect the sodding thing.

I do think Arkham Asylum remains the best in the series - as a self-contained little game - but Knight is such a stunning game.

It pains me to think that Rocksteady are putting their efforts into Suicide Squad and characters I have absolutely no desire to see...which probably means it'll be the most amazing game ever, but I'm not holding my breath.

Crows: Burning Edge on PS4.

Despite the fact it’s entirely in Japanese and I can read literally three words of Japanese and don’t understand all that much more listening to it I’m just about keeping up with the storyline through some reading about the Manga series (fortunately I can pick out names from spoken Japanese and I love the Crows Zero movies so understand about the different factions). 

The game plays a bit like a second rate Yakuza title, but without all of the extras and the combat is a bit worse. The bulk of the game is beating up groups of thugs although there’s a few other missions like chasing some kid down and protecting people from enemies for timed periods. There’s 5 characters to play but I’ve only played some of Bouya’s missions so far. Despite its shortcomings I’m actually quite enjoying it. I’m not sure if I’ll get all the way through the game because I think it’s going to be about 20 hours of just doing the same thing. Either way it didn’t cost a great deal so I’m happy.

Dodgeball Academia - Found it on Game Pass and went in blind. What a charming little game this is. Been playing it on and off the entire weekend and have loved every second.

It’s basically the overworld from the Pokemon games with dodgeball matches instead of classic combat. It’s a charming RPG where you attend a Dodgeball College. 

2 hours ago, Rayn said:

Dodgeball Academia - Found it on Game Pass and went in blind. What a charming little game this is. Been playing it on and off the entire weekend and have loved every second.

It’s basically the overworld from the Pokemon games with dodgeball matches instead of classic combat. It’s a charming RPG where you attend a Dodgeball College. 

GOTY so far. 

The battle system is basically Windjammers. So much fun. 

13 hours ago, Ry said:

GOTY so far. 

The battle system is basically Windjammers. So much fun. 

While very good it's not in the heights of GOTY contender for me, sadly. I really like it a lot but a few chapters in the fetch quest mission structure is starting to break up the pacing of the story and general feel of progression. I've no clue how big this game is as I've not finished it yet but if it's longer than 12h I'm afraid it's going to outstay its welcome (unless something new happens). 

There's also some really weird going on with the balance of the battles. My team members are lvl 31-33 and I still get matches against lvl 3-5 teams that are part of the main story line, which doesn't make sense as I've had plenty of matches at my own lvl range prior to the n00b matches that pops up from time to time. 

7 hours ago, Rayn said:

While very good it's not in the heights of GOTY contender for me, sadly. I really like it a lot but a few chapters in the fetch quest mission structure is starting to break up the pacing of the story and general feel of progression. I've no clue how big this game is as I've not finished it yet but if it's longer than 12h I'm afraid it's going to outstay its welcome (unless something new happens). 

There's also some really weird going on with the balance of the battles. My team members are lvl 31-33 and I still get matches against lvl 3-5 teams that are part of the main story line, which doesn't make sense as I've had plenty of matches at my own lvl range prior to the n00b matches that pops up from time to time. 

I thought it was a 5-6 hour job. 

Quick search online it seems its about 12 hours. 

Yeah, I might get bored before then and see me skipping most of the talking. The combat is that much fun I can see me rushing through cutacenes just to get to combat. 

48 minutes ago, Ry said:

I thought it was a 5-6 hour job. 

Quick search online it seems its about 12 hours. 

Yeah, I might get bored before then and see me skipping most of the talking. The combat is that much fun I can see me rushing through cutacenes just to get to combat. 

I'm at 9h and stuck at a cheating mother f**** boss that defies the rules of the dodgeball game in every way. I've tried five times in a row and the best I've managed is to get the boss down to almost 50%. There's no way to farm XP in this game either so I might be stuck (or I'm probably supposed to be better but everything's been a breeze so far so this has really caught me by surprise). 

Kentucky Route Zero. Difficult one this for me. I owned it on the PC but never actually played it then downloaded the switch version. Really want to love it, but every time I sit down to play it I fall asleep within 10 minutes. Not sure how I feel about it.

21 hours ago, phillv85 said:

I started Dodgeball Academia after reading a few people on here say it's great. The combat is great fun, but the inability to grind levels kinda killed it for me.

Yeah, it's weird that farming XP in a game like this is something I'd miss but the last chunk of the game turned out to be too hard for me to enjoy the game. I think it's a good game with loads of charm and character but it strikes me as fairly badly balanced where the game is too easy in the first third of the game, more or less well balanced in the next third and nigh on impossible in the last third. 

The game might be better balanced than I'm giving it credit for, though, as I can't omit the possibility that I'm just crap at it. 

• gospvg unpinned this topic