IGNORED

Post Your Gaming Setups

kerraig UK

On 14/07/2017 at 23:56, stefcha said:

Just an Ikea Kallax by the look of it. 

'Just'? That shit cost me £20!!!

edit: Actually it's not a Kallax. I picked up a Kallax today and was disappointed to find it's smaller than the one I had originally.

http://gizmodo.com/heres-why-ikea-is-discontinuing-everyones-favorite-sh-1527126312

IMG_3064.thumb.JPG.469f0928319d7e13449bc90f7a34d12e.JPG

OK, I got a Steam Link! And managed to get it set up! It's like magic. Not without its peculiarities, but hey - I can finally use a PC again. Interestingly, performance-wise, the HDMI over ethernet performance is still better than the actual Steam Link video output, so I'm using the Link to actually control the PC, but not for the video - which introduces weird complications like having to enable Mouse Keys to be able to actually see the mouse pointer, and un-muting the desktop audio to get sound, and occasionally having to revert back to keyboard-under-the-stairs and mouse-in-the-kitchen when I have to install stuff and the Steam Link loses connection. Think I can get around that by disabling a lot of the Windows User Account Control "features" though. Also tested my old £3.50 charity shop Sidewinder flightstick, and it works but has a dodgy USB connector so some work required there.

I'll post some pics when I've got a minute, the cupboard under the stairs is going to make you shit if you thought Scouser's retro corner was bad :lol:

It's possible to connect USB cables over ethernet too, so in theory you could hook up a USB hub and ditch the Steam Link altogether if you run a second ethernet cable through. I'm no expert there though!

Already using the spare network cable for the HDMI over ethernet adapters unfortunately; USB over IP would work if such a thing existed, but I don't think it does and £17 for a Steam Link was probably about the cheapest way of overcoming the problem, even if it is still a bit jury-rigged!

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

Lovely setup.  Can I just ask about the chair - is that a genuine Herman Miller or a copy?  If it is a copy, which one do you have and are you happy with it?

It’s an Eames Lounge Chair, and yeah, it’s a real one. I’m sure he’ll pop in to let you know how much it cost at some point.

14 hours ago, Matthew Kenyon said:

Main setup finally complete after months of sorting the house out. Had Ethernet wired into rooms and a super clear out.

Xbox in unit

Switch on top

LG B7 is sublime 

Running out of excuses now to not actually play games. 

IMG_4650.thumb.JPG.c6c89f14d91ab53cc5218c7f8119423e.JPG

I think I can see some dust. ;)

20 hours ago, Matthew Kenyon said:

I can move the chair - felt like being in the arcade playing destiny. Just been sitting on edge of sofa though! Thanks peeps!

What Chair & footrest is that, been looking for a good comfy chair like that? Looks lovely.

Vitra’s pricing is a bit silly unfortunately, particularly when they made such a mess of the Eames plastic chair. They were charging nearly twice what HM were charging for the lounge chair in the states, although at least they did a better job of reproducing it, compared to the plastic chair at any rate.

4 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Vitra’s pricing is a bit silly unfortunately, particularly when they made such a mess of the Eames plastic chair. They were charging nearly twice what HM were charging for the lounge chair in the states, although at least they did a better job of reproducing it, compared to the plastic chair at any rate.

At least the lounge chair was always meant to be expensive (not sure about £6K but not cheap). Everything else was supposed to be affordable but they charge the earth for simple plastic chairs.

Yeah, the trick with the Eames chairs was to buy them from the US. We got a set of 8 originals from a public school (ie US state school) for $10 a pop with the standard base (much nicer than the fussy Eiffel base) - they had around 250 they were clearing out from an old gym hall. This was when Vitra were charging £300 for their fucking horrible reproductions.