IGNORED

Post Your Gaming Setups

kerraig UK

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

my gamecube collection is in a pampers box...

and I found this collection of gb/gbc stuff, psus and a ps2 buzz controller in another one.

WP_20171120_005.jpg

the metal case is my pc engine collection

and this is my games room atm

WP_20171120_006.jpg

an N64, boxed neo geo cd, and mastersystem, and a stack of bone and ps4 controllers

WP_20171120_007.jpg

the wooden boxes have my other og xbox, a couple of Playstations, a saturn, and my megadrive. The DC box is empty, thats in the garage, with more playstations another N64, and... Mmm... My jaguar.

my 360 and ps3 are down the side of the sofa in the front room, collecting dust like crazy

anyway, my point is, I am working on getting my console collection sorted. Its just taken 5 years. We started clearing the box room on Sunday: 8 bags, 12 boxes.we can see more of the carpet!

the carpet will need replacing.

you'll see...

Do you live with CGMF's sister?

11 hours ago, macosx said:

Just saw this on CNET, which had a "Show Us Your Yours', nerdcave section, this was picture 5 of 21.

Ughhh,,,,

mat-nerd-themed-living-room-13.jpg

This is my kind of speed. I'm used to being able to draw on my playstation with my finger. It's like an added feature.

• 5 weeks later...

@Fallows

That PVM is a beautiful thing. 

I'm currently using my old 21" CRT that I bought in like 2002 (on ntsc-uk recommendations) and I'm loving how great the older 240p/480i consoles look through a CRT. I do now consider it to be a vital component in a retro set up. 

An interesting thing from DF John Linneman is the observation that the PS3 was a bit of a transitional console, and a lot of the games on that platform run much better in 480i/p and look great through a CRT. Annoyingly the PAL PS3 doesn't do 480i/p :facepalm:

15 hours ago, Fallows said:

office.jpg
sittingposition.jpg
front.jpg

Trying to convince my wife to let me buy a pair of standing Kefs and an amp for the front room. She doesn't see the value in investing in audio. :( 

Mine was the same re: the audio thing until I got it. One thing you could tell her is that speakers last a very, very long time and they basically won't ever be replaced with anything else so will never become obsolete. AV receivers last a long time too if you treat them nicely. I've had to downgrade recently and she's actually said to me that I need to "sort the sound out as it's not as good" :)

I'm saving up for a high end soundbar - I want 5.1 (I have that currently) but I just can't fit a decent centre speaker in my current set-up.

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

@Fallows

An interesting thing from DF John Linneman is the observation that the PS3 was a bit of a transitional console, and a lot of the games on that platform run much better in 480i/p and look great through a CRT. Annoyingly the PAL PS3 doesn't do 480i/p :facepalm:

I posted some photos of the screen over in retro in an attempt to highlight the fidelity. They still don't do the screen much justice - it's absolutely blistering on the eyes and it did take me around an hour or so to adapt. I even have to take my glasses off when playing on it. You come away 'fried' after an hour or so on it. :lol:

Too true about the modern consoles over CRT, too. I used to feed my 360 into my 14" flatscreen Trinitron occasionally. I could happily play modern games at 480i if it meant 60fps guaranteed. I also had my Wii hooked up to the BVM before getting the SFC sorted out and Prime/GX/S&P2 looked absolutely glorious. I'll need to get it back in here because it honestly looks shite on the Samsung. That's interesting about the PAL PS3 not handling 480, I'll have to do a bit of research if I ever get around to picking one up. 

@neoELITE Thanks for the advice, I'll let her read your post when I show her how many people are bumming 'her' TV unit (she takes credit and says it was her that picked it out, but it was actually myself after getting tired of so much Ikea crap). To be fair I do need a bit more work coming in before I can comfortably blow over a grand in this department, although at this point I'd settle for a cheap second-hand Sony/Technics hifi.

14 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Too true about the modern consoles over CRT, too. I used to feed my 360 into my 14" flatscreen Trinitron occasionally. I could happily play modern games at 480i if it meant 60fps guaranteed. I also had my Wii hooked up to the BVM before getting the SFC sorted out and Prime/GX/S&P2 looked absolutely glorious. I'll need to get it back in here because it honestly looks shite on the Samsung. That's interesting about the PAL PS3 not handling 480, I'll have to do a bit of research if I ever get around to picking one up. 

Yeah, the 480i / 480p option is removed from the PAL PS3 and replaced with 576i & 576p both at 50Hz. It sucks, and it also makes a few games perform like a complete mess in Standard Definition. Final Fantasy XIII was the famous one that was a complete mess of borders, shit frame rate and constant tearing when played on a PAL PS3 in Standard Definition. 

Apparently, the X360 has a dedicated scaler chip, so the framebuffer is rendered internally at a set resolution then scaled to whatever the console is output at. 

This is different with the PS3, which often has two seperate profiles for Standard Definition and High Definition (usually 720p only) . A game that runs with a crappy frame-rate in HD can be totally cleaned up and locked to target frame-rates when the console is set to SD. Bionic Commando is an example used. 

1 minute ago, auntyclimax said:

@Pob but, Hot Hot Heat?!

What? Have I left something embarrassing on show?

Ah you mean overheating? There’s a fair amount of ventilation at the back (I cut the back out with a jigsaw - it’s not supposed to be a TV unit) and also to the sides of each console. 

I’ve got an XB1X which is supposed to need plenty of ventilation and I’ve not noticed it getting really hot or the fans spinning up. Thought it’s got some super advanced cooling system to maybe I wouldn’t hear it anyway. 

On 20/11/2017 at 19:21, papalasarou said:

just bought a new house - and got my office / man cave set up 

IMG_5533

Doug Phillips, Bachelor of Arts with Third Class Honours...in Business Enterprise, 1999?

Man, some of the setups shown (not referring to this or any specific one) have been absolutely horrendous. I empathise with the wiring problem, but ugh, just - dust and wires hanging down from shelves etc. It's not ok!

You don't necessarily need a centre speaker, any av amp will allow you to have a 'phantom' centre which mixes it into the side channels. If your're sat equidistant from the two front speakers (orclose enough to equidistant) the requirement for a centre speaker diminishes. This tends to work best if the speakers are placed so the main drivers run along a central line through the tv, not above or below the tv.

3 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

I empathise with the wiring problem, but ugh, just - dust and wires hanging down from shelves etc. It's not ok!

I could've hid the AV input box for the Samsung in my photo, and put away the HDMI lead that my laptop goes into when I'm PC gaming in the front room, but I couldn't be arsed - I'm plugging something into that box at least once a day, so rest assured my shots are the real-world day-to-day genuine scenario.

2 hours ago, Fallows said:

I posted some photos of the screen over in retro in an attempt to highlight the fidelity. They still don't do the screen much justice - it's absolutely blistering on the eyes and it did take me around an hour or so to adapt. I even have to take my glasses off when playing on it. You come away 'fried' after an hour or so on it. :lol:

@neoELITE Thanks for the advice, I'll let her read your post when I show her how many people are bumming 'her' TV unit (she takes credit and says it was her that picked it out, but it was actually myself after getting tired of so much Ikea crap). To be fair I do need a bit more work coming in before I can comfortably blow over a grand in this department, although at this point I'd settle for a cheap second-hand Sony/Technics hifi.

If you just want to go stereo for the moment and add later on, it won't cost you anywhere near £1k.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/av-receivers/yamaha-rxv383-blk.html

AV Receiver £200 - it's also future proofed as it's UHD compatible or spend £50ish more and you can get something with audio streaming etc. for all your mobile devices. Marantz do a slimline receiver for about £250.

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/floorstanding-speakers/q-acoustics-q3050-matte-graphite.html

£400 for the floorstanders but the World is your oyster on those and second hand on speakers is always a great place to start. If they're looked after, they do last a very long time. Gumtree/ebay local pick ups for floor standers are always a place to look as they're a nightmare to courier. 

Personally though, if you don't want to go 5.1 physically, this is what I'd get

https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-ysp2700-blk.html

Yamaha YSP2700

I listened to this in the Richersounds demo room and it's bloody brilliant - it's the closest to true surround sound I've ever heard from a soundbar. It has 3 hdmi ins too which is rare for a soundbar. I was very close to getting one when I bought my new TV and it's dropped £200 in price since then. It's a really discreet soundbar too and the sub is wirless so you can stick it anywhere.

3 hours ago, Fallows said:

For serious image quality for the 360, its as simple as 1280x720 by VGA into a crt monitor. For the ps3, use a component to vga transcoder, again outputting 720p into a crt monitor. Only issue is you’ll need a decent size 4:3 crt monitor to get a decent sized 16:9 image (unless of course you are lucky enough to be packing an fw900 - 16:9 and 1080p crt! You really won’t want to go near 480i/p, when you see the image.

• 2 weeks later...