IGNORED

Super Mario Sunshine

Tig

There wasn't much actual 3D platforming in Galaxy though

Eh? How many stars did you get? There are plenty of larger galaxies, and no small amount of genuine platforming in there. Sure, it's a shame you don't control your path between planets, but while not too many levels had huge areas to explore, there's plenty of trad(ish) platforming.

Yeah, I think the term "3D platforming" became synonymous with "wandering about freely" when Mario 64 came out; but what Galaxy does (traditional platforming but in 3D levels) is far better and more faithful to the genre roots.

Heck, parts of Galaxy are like SMB3!

Yes, it's the most SMB3 game out of all of them. And there's one star in particular, where you have to freeze two parallel waterfalls and jump between them that is pure SML in its presentation and pace and vertical nature. Galaxy is fucking lush. It is so, so good.

Except for the water levels, Mario Galaxy is all platforming, all of the time

...and the levels where you're pretty just navigating between planetoids. Gusty Garden comes to mind (I think I've played the Major Burrows level hundreds of times by now thanks to my daughter).

Yes, it's the most SMB3 game out of all of them.

Indeed. My hope is that Galaxy 2 is SMW to Galaxy's SMB3.

And there's one star in particular, where you have to freeze two parallel waterfalls and jump between them that is pure SML in its presentation and pace and vertical nature.

That's just a brilliant moment.

Galaxy is fucking lush. It is so, so good.

It's far better than anyone could reasonably have expected. I honestly think Nintendo has a tough job topping it with Galaxy 2.

The thing I liked best about Mario Galaxy and what made it feel like a true platformer to me, was the return of the good old days of abstract levels. Not only the gravity/rotating stuff, but also the typical 'toy factory', 'giant cupcakes' and 'transport world' things we saw in all the popular 90s platformers. When platformers went 3D, they all became more or less based on the real world and Mario Galaxy really brought back that sense of abstact, theme-based environments. Big part of the magic.

• 5 years later...

I am an signed member of the Mario Sunshine is freaking brilliant club, every few years I buy another Gamecube to play it and I still own my original JP release game.

Basically if Nintendo released this on the Wii U it would tip it to being the best console ever released!

I love the game. It just feels ever so twitchy after playing the modern games. I find aiming the bottom bounce pretty much impossible and the odd context sensitive flips and wall hugs that Mario sometimes does infuriating.

The animation makes it look like Mario is tripping over his own feet and sometimes the game makes it feel like he really is. :-D

I remember at the time most people praising the void levels, & now I wonder if that's why Nintendo decided to stick to that formula for the Galaxy & 3D games, with most of the levels being obstacle courses floating in space rather than the more 'real world' approach of Sunshine.

I used to have a housemate who insisted that this was not only the best Gamecube game, but the best game of that entire console generation.

Personally I could never get on with the camera. The X axis was the wrong way round for me and there was no option to flip it. Absolutely counterintuitive and it made the simplest things really difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed this.... Although the watermelon level brings back some frustrating memories... Lol.

Remember getting 'Cube with this around this time of year in around 2002. Really brightened up the winter. And had a bout of torrettes suffering and controller rage at various times over the month after... :D

Stop bumping this thread, I keep thinking it's getting a release on WiiU.

The void levels were *astounding*

They were great, but they hobbled Mario's control which made them worse than they should have been. As a game, I think Super Mario 64 is overrated, but the weight and momentum Mario has when you're chucking him around is spot-on, and would have been perfect for the void stages.

In Sunshine, Mario doesn't seem to have much weight; when you turn the opposite way he just suddenly appears that way and doesn't turn, and his control is generally quite twitchy. It's fine when you're spraying water onto everything or sliding around and works for most of the game, but not too well for the pixel perfect platforming, so the void levels suffer slightly.