Barbecues Every Day

ScouserInExile

With the weather starting to get better by the day *looks out window at pissing rain*, people are starting to organise barbecues. Anyone got any decent kebab / burger / whatever recepies?

I really want a change from the usual sausage in a bun or beefburger in a bun choice this year...

With the weather starting to get better by the day *looks out window at pissing rain*, people are starting to organise barbeques. Anyone got any decent kebab / burger / whatever recepies?

I really want a change from the usual sausage in a bun or beefburger in a bun choice this year...

From steak thread:

Marinate steaks in Raspberry Chipotle Sauce.

Throw on BBQ

Eat.

Kebabs are good.

Get some nice Lamb Leg Steaks, and cut them into large cubes.

Then get some natural yoghurt, and put a teaspoon or two each of Cumin, Chilli Powder, Garam Masala, etc. Anything spicy. Then add a squeeze of lemon, some grated ginger, and some crushed garlic.

Marinade the lamb in that for a good few hours. Remove the lamb pieces, shake off the excess yoghurt, then thread them onto skewers, alternating chunks of Peppers and Onions as you go.

Whack onto the BBQ, and serve with pitta breads. Maybe a bit of minty raita dressing to go with them. Would work with chicken too.

Kebabs are your friend.

Buy a leg of lamb, dice it up, marinade in greek yoghurt, mint, rosemary, lemon juice, chilli, ( whatever takes your fancy basically) wack o nskewers and then BBQ it !

Get some minced lamb ( or beef) add coriander, cumin, chilli, lime juice ( you get the point) make into sauages and skewer, and BBQ away.

serve with all kinds of nice salads and tabbouleh etc, and hummus and pitta bread.

I could go on forver but i won't

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

As it looks like barbecue season is kicking off again this weekend, I thought I'd bump an old thread on the subject. I've bought a massive rack of pork ribs from the butcher (was tempted to buy the lot from him, but went for half at 3lbs, stacked with juicy meat) and the missus is going to be in charge of the homemade burgers. Sausages will be included of course, and I'm hankering for some fish fillets and marinated chicken thighs.

Obligatory salads, and I'm a bit mad on baked spuds when barbecued, and the missus will definitely be after corn cobs. Just need to decide on the beer, and we will be go for launch.

Any tips, pics or tales of fire-related mishaps? I am getting a bit excited about being allowed to legitimately start a fire tomorrow and cook chunks of animal flesh!

My advice is to marinate the burgers overnight to add some zing (lost of people i know marinade on the day and then watch as it all gloops off into the fire!) and remember to let the flames die (and coals to go glowing red/yellow/white) before cooking.

I did have a huge fire a while ago now, but it wasn't BBQ related. Nonetheless, i did shit myself.

We had our first barbecue of the season last night. Ribs, chicken and lamb chops. I made a Carolina mustard barbecue sauce to go with it.

1/2 cup yellow mustard

1/2 cup honey

1/4 cup light brown sugar

1/4 cup white vinegar

Salt and black pepper

Mix mustard, honey, sugar and vinegar and heat together over a low heat. Simmer for five minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

i'm a big fan of double heating the bbq to get it super hot, cook quickly and not end up with dried out bbq meat.

so, get two bags of the burn in the bag variety, get the first one lit. stand back, drink beer. wait for the white coals scenario. whack the other on top. stand back, drink beer. wait for the new bag to expose its white coals.

then, for the fun.

place a whole belly of pork which has been marinated overnight in garlic, rosemary and cider, skinside down on the grill/frame or whatever you're cooking on over the coals. make sure the skin's well seasoned as it helps with the crisping, in my opinion.

cook til the crackling starts to go crispy as a pack of walkers (whilst doing so, stand back and drink beer), then slice into rib-shaped strip portions. place back onto heat meat-side down before finally turning over for some double-crisp crackling fun. this is also pretty good if you marinate it in soy, ginger, chilli and garlic just all squidged together in a pestle and mortar.

so, double-heated, double-crackled pork belly. that's what i like. oh, and standing back and drinking beer.

might get involved this weekend if the weather holds...

Ohhhhh god i love BBQ season !

We have a gas BBQ so it gets used all the time - Fish can be very good on the ol BBQ, even fruit kebabs are ace !

One butcher we frequent does really nice Lamb Koftas - well worth trying !

i'm a big fan of double heating the bbq to get it super hot, cook quickly and not end up with dried out bbq meat.

To get around this, I usually part cook everything in the oven first, especially ribs because it makes them oh so nice and tender if you steam them in the oven and then finish them off on the grill.

We had a cracking BBQ the other night... By student standards anyway.

I made a massive BBQ'd salad (peppers, courgettes, sweetcorn, onion, shallots, chillies) and a balsamic vinegar dressing and we had home made pork and beef burgers, sausages, pork steaks and roast potatoes.

Having another one today, very much looking forward to it. :wub:

Kebabs are your friend.

Buy a leg of lamb, dice it up, marinade in greek yoghurt, mint, rosemary, lemon juice, chilli, ( whatever takes your fancy basically) wack o nskewers and then BBQ it !

Get some minced lamb ( or beef) add coriander, cumin, chilli, lime juice ( you get the point) make into sauages and skewer, and BBQ away.

serve with all kinds of nice salads and tabbouleh etc, and hummus and pitta bread.

I could go on forver but i won't

there really good & cheap, i tend to do them with, chicken drum sticks, chicken shish kebabs and ribs with reggae reggae sauce yum! with barbequed ciabatta, salad with an olive oil & lemon juice dressing and garlic & spring onion potato salad with a white wine spritzer

so, get two bags of the burn in the bag variety, get the first one lit. stand back, drink beer. wait for the white coals scenario. whack the other on top. stand back, drink beer. wait for the new bag to expose its white coals.

then, for the fun.

place a whole belly of pork which has been marinated overnight in garlic, rosemary and cider, skinside down on the grill/frame or whatever you're cooking on over the coals. make sure the skin's well seasoned as it helps with the crisping, in my opinion.

cook til the crackling starts to go crispy as a pack of walkers (whilst doing so, stand back and drink beer), then slice into rib-shaped strip portions. place back onto heat meat-side down before finally turning over for some double-crisp crackling fun. this is also pretty good if you marinate it in soy, ginger, chilli and garlic just all squidged together in a pestle and mortar.

so, double-heated, double-crackled pork belly. that's what i like. oh, and standing back and drinking beer.

might get involved this weekend if the weather holds...

That sounds amazing.

Will try.

For a different kebab try sausage kebabs. Sprinkle with some sage if you like. One of Jamie Oliver's books has a really good lamb marinade recipe in it, I'll try and dig it out.

We did 'bacon steaks' on the BBQ last night from a local farm shop, very yummy. Not sure what the difference is between these and Gammon steaks though.