IGNORED

New Hot Hot Heat Album

outspaced

I was going to buy this, but then I saw the Thrice album and bought that instead (I keep meaning to start a thread on that...)

Make Up the Breakdown was great, though. I thought it'd just be a flash-in-the-pan thing, but that album's really stood the test of time. So many great tracks.

(The reviews I've read of Elevator have been mixed, though)

I liked it a lot but it seems much more like Razorlight than Hot Hot Heat somehow. Tamed is the word I'm looking for. Still very good but not totally what I was expecting.

But I like Razorlight, so I liked this.

So I've given this few listens through now, and it really is good. Unusally the middle section of the album is really strong, with jingle jangle and the 2 or 3 after that being current favourites of mine. The album as a whole reminds me in a way of what the strokes' second album did; definately in the same mould as the debut but more relaxed, perhaps less immediate and more of a grower. Good job, HHH :(

Yeah, been listening to this quite a bit recently. Very impressed.

I completely missed their debut album, worth getting?

Yes, definately worth getting. More upbeat than elevator, and it has the excellent Bandages on it and that's all the reason a man needs, don't you know.

Anyone see them on the album tour? Missed most of The Departure [main support] and were kind of thinking we'd have been best seeing a bit more of them for our money's worth- but HHH played for over an hour, including some 'Knock Knock Knock' stuff.

Elevator is a bit washy in places, a little too 'big label' and pishy interludes, but 'Island Of An Honest Man' is zinging. Basically, it would be a healthy portion more better without the crud on the end.

I've not got Elevator yet, but I do thoroughly enjoy Make Up the Breakdown. For all you enjoying Hot Hot Heat, there's another band, who are a bit like them, but in my view, about 10 times better.

They are Ima Robot.

Check 'em out!

I got Elevator when it came out - very good, although following on from Make up the Breakdown I was a little dissapointed. Only a little bit, though.

Not enough organ playing though! I'm glad they took it in a slightly different direction to Make Up, just that Make Up was pretty much the better album.

Saw them live about 3 or 4 weeks ago and it was a pretty good gig - they played all their best tracks off the new album and a welcome mix of stuff off Make Up, although the crowd weren't really getting into it which was a shame.

Not enough organ playing though!

That's what I thought too, Steve doesn't seem to go as mad on this album as he did on Make Up the Breakdown, it's the only kind of problem I have with the new album.

Quite pissed that they seem to have left Ireland off the tour this year, I missed them when they were over for Make Up the Breakdown.

• 5 months later...
So I've given this few listens through now, and it really is good. Unusally the middle section of the album is really strong, with jingle jangle and the 2 or 3 after that being current favourites of mine. The album as a whole reminds me in a way of what the strokes' second album did; definately in the same mould as the debut but more relaxed, perhaps less immediate and more of a grower. Good job, HHH  :(

I've been loving this since Ravern turned me on to Oh, Goddamit in June's CD Mix Club, forcing me to buy both albums. The middle section ('You Owe Me An IOU' through to 'Middle of Nowhere') is all killer, no filler. great stuff!