IGNORED

Perfect Dark Zero

rubberducker

Looking back it was a load of average shite. But back then, we loved it! It was NEXT GEN* after all!

*current gen graphics, but more shiny

Unfortunately they're doing that with most games now. Add some gloss and people will love it, etc.

Looking forward to more new download content for this game. Some fancy new weapon would be ace. Some unconfirmed rumours are circulating about a possible Autoupdate and/or Map Pack 2 in the future. If true, I think Rare should aim for releasing the content before Emergence Day, as probably a majority of PDZ players will migrate to Gears once it's launched...

There is a lot about it that isn't very good but if you were to give it some time you'd find a decent game.

The worst crime it commits is omitting a lot of features that were in the original.

True enough. It does encourage different styles of play, there are some great set-piece battles, and the cover move adds a lot to the combat. Co-op over live is great and the way co-op has been implemented deserves praise. I had some excellent co-op sessions in PDZ. The multiplayer on Live can be wonderful, but on the console it pales hideously in comparison to the original. I was hoping for the same sim options and game modes and for some crazy reason I didn't get them. Still, Dark Ops matches have probably provided the most fun I've had on Live outside of Halo 2.

There are problems for sure, some annoying bottlenecks and crazy level pacing decisions among them (the start of the jungle (and much of the rest of the jungle) and the fight against the brothers spring to mind - oh, and the sodding timed temple level). But it doesn't deserve the panning it so often gets. Perhaps it takes time to get the most out of it, and perhaps it requires a somewhat forgiving player to discover its full worth, but atrocious it isn't. It does seem to have a tendency to anger up people's blood, however.

OK.

So I've booted up the orignal PD recently. Tried the single player - some great levels at the start, but it does go downhill after that. Got a bit fed-up as the Skedar levels approached.

Tried the multiplayer and, not having any friends (nearby) I used a few bots. Bugger me if it hasn't take up hours of my time.

Get a good map, like Ravine, Area51 or Grid (which have a well-balanced, easily-navigable mix of open spaces and tight corridors) throw in some Devestators, Slayers and Laptop guns, and have some Vengesims and Feud sims to make it interesting, and you have a memorable waste of time. I'm interested to know how PD Zero compares.

The single player of Zero actually gets better as you go, whereas PD got worse.

Multiplayer on PD was simply awesome. On Zero it's good online, but some of the maps are lame, the bots aren't too hot, and the lack of options (for game setup) is poor. Why can't I switch off body armour? Where's the one hit kills mode?

PD is one of the best games ever, so Zero was never going to live up to that. It should have been better though, but I've still had some fun playing it. Co-op online is fun, the Perfect difficulty setting is challenging and online in general is a blast.

Thats not very surprising considering the formats they were published on, the N64 pushed the concept of 4player gaming in the home like nothing before it, it was studded with nuggets of multiplayer gold, so with those kinds of peers the orginal PD being one if its last major release had to be pretty awesome multiplayerwise to justify itself.

In contrast the 360 was in its infancy when PDzero launched so they really had nothing much to compete with or live up to hence why its multiplayer was so poor in comparisson.

In contrast the 360 was in its infancy when PDzero launched so they really had nothing much to compete with or live up to hence why its multiplayer was so poor in comparisson.

That's a load of crap considering Halo 2, Ghost Recon 2, Rainbow Six 3, Chaos Theory and the like had been available on Live for ages.

I played this in coop for the first time, yesterday and this game has a lot of missions that are very good in coop.

Missions that I've completed by myself a couple of times before just took on a whole new dimension when played with my friend. Especially Rooftops was great. I played as Jack and got to go to these places you never get to see in singleplayer. Loved it.

Me and my friend completed missions on Perfect Agent and those were missions I never could do on PA by myself. It was just so rewarding playing it with a friend.

It only works well on the levels that were specifically designed for you to play co-op on, Rooftops is a good example because it gives both players a role to perform. Some of the others ones we bothered with were just running about near each other shooting people, which frankly is boring unless the game is any good.

I was quite enjoying this at first...but it's really annoying me now. Most of the levels are bloody dull or piss me off. The Jungle one (level 9 annoyed me a fuckload because it was so easy to get turned around and end up walking in circles for ages, and you couldn't see the bloody enemies.

I was quite enjoying this at first...but it's really annoying me now. Most of the levels are bloody dull or piss me off. The Jungle one (level 9 annoyed me a fuckload because it was so easy to get turned around and end up walking in circles for ages, and you couldn't see the bloody enemies.

I take it you are picking up the RCP-90 from the crates near the beginning and using the secondary function to spot the enemies, yeah? Or saving the pilot and getting the X-ray glasses from him?

Just checking, like.

See I didn't figure out what that secondary function was for until I got right to the end of the level.

The pilot always wound up gfetting killed when I got to the bridge, mainly because he used to just stand there getting shot while I was too busy being blasted by other people.

The Jungle gets a lot better near the end, but it's pretty much vital to use the RPC (or whatever it's called) - there's one on a crate at the start of the level. The alternate mode highlights enemies in red. Playing that level without it is the height of masochism, but it's understandable - you don't have the gun from the start, and the initial assault is hard and fast; very little time to look around and find it.

It's a pig of a level on co-op, too - took us ages to crack the battle at the start, and then the sodding checkpoint system meant any mistakes sent us right back to do it again. Ditto the battle with the brothers. Bizarre choices by Rare that you'd imagine even the breifest of playtests would highlight.

Stick with it to the bridge assault, though, because that's a good battle.

Edit: yeah, or the glasses, but I didn't know about those for ages.

• 3 months later...

Map Pack 2 is out!

And it's free. Has the two maps Facility (from Goldeneye) and Ruins (cant remember if this was in PD or GE first).

They seem to have made them shiny which ruins the nostaljic feel somewhat, but they are the same levels pretty much.

Facility = always was fun, still is.

Seems to have a 8 player max cap, too.

started playing this last night ...

it's not BAD but it's not great either. I seem to be almost impervious to bullets and spend most of the time running about a room full of baddies shooting madly, although I've started using cover now which is a nice addition.

It suffers from not making it particularly clear what it is I have to do... 2nd level, I need to find enforcers. I have no idea what an enforcer looks like or where they're likely to be - so I make a number of trial and error attempts to locate them - fail the mission, and when I finally know where they are - I go through and do it properly.

I can actually see myself playing through this to the end - it's got a Starfox Adventure type vibe to it. I know it's not that great - it's the FPS equivalent of easy listening.

Especially since CoD2 difficulty is doing my head in...

well - I'll comment more when I'm further through - but I'd never class it as 'really poor' - just solidly average. Which, given it was a 50 quid release title meant that it just had too much to live up to.

I REALLY DISLIKE what they've done to the Jo Dark character though. She was a posh brit through and through - why is she now a yank?