IGNORED

Perfect Dark Zero

rubberducker

You're right, Scott, most of the team did leave to form FRD. However, I always find it mildly amusing that people say all the talent left Rare and then slag off the Timesplitters games as well.

Anyhoo, PD0 isn't shit. It can be bloody annoying, is atrociously unforgiving on Perfect Agent level and does have some very odd level design decision... and yet still I enjoyed it. It got better the more I played it. The Nightclub level, once you have fully explored it, used all the devices on, revisited it with different weapons, it's really well designed. I like that it's big and open and it's down to you to make your own decisions as to how you tackle it. I think PD0's biggest failing was that it's depth was hidden underneath a slightly dodgy top level of incoherence. Once you get into it, it's really rather good.

It was the checkpoint system that ruined the game for me. I could have overlooked the other stuff if it wasn't so damned frustrating to play.

Me too. I had a go the other day - I'd competely forgotten what a bastard it is.

For a while I couldn't work out why I gave up on it so easily. Then I died and it all came back to me.

Map Pack 2 is out!

And it's free. Has the two maps Facility (from Goldeneye) and Ruins (cant remember if this was in PD or GE first).

They seem to have made them shiny which ruins the nostaljic feel somewhat, but they are the same levels pretty much.

Facility = always was fun, still is.

Seems to have a 8 player max cap, too.

Ooh! Any screenshots? And is it the full Facility level from GoldenEye's single-player mode, or just the same half that was in the original multiplayer?

cool!

I'll stick with it. It's a less intense gaming experience than CoD2 - so I'm actually likely to play it more right now.

Oh - and I actually really like the Timesplitters games, but I seem to be in the minority.

I always liked the TS games too. Any game where you can play as a snowman shooting ducks, gingerbread men and people with a hand for a head is ok by me.

Ooh! Any screenshots? And is it the full Facility level from GoldenEye's single-player mode, or just the same half that was in the original multiplayer?

Same half as the original, the doors to the other areas are now covered in snow. Never did see the hacked areas originally so it makes no difference to me.

So, 'Facility' is a GoldenEye map - it was called 'Felicity' in Perfect Dark.

Perfect Dark Zero is great. The aiming is awkward, sure, and the default 'Agent' difficulty makes the game seem really crap. But playing through on the harder difficulty levels makes the game come into its own. Multiplayer is good too although the bots (whatever happened to Sims) are rubbish.

I'm really looking forward to trying out these maps - Ruins was one of my favourites from PD.

Perfect Dark Zero is great. The aiming is awkward, sure, and the default 'Agent' difficulty makes the game seem really crap. But playing through on the harder difficulty levels makes the game come into its own. Multiplayer is good too although the bots (whatever happened to Sims) are rubbish.

I'm often tempted to get PD0 again now that it's under £20 second-hand, purely for co-op and Dark Ops. Played in the right way, it's a great game. But you're so right about the bots, they're shameful. Consider the wonderful options Perfect Dark offered, all the combinations you could set up and the difference each one made, and then compare it to Zero's horrible, bland bots. You'd hope a sequel would build on something great like that, something to be proud of, rather than tearing it all down and replacing it with something entirely worthless. Slow clap.

What the fuck is a Graal?

Google says:

Graal comes from the Latin word "gradalis" which means bowl or cup. According to the legend, "graal" was the bowl that was used to collect Christ’s blood when he was crucified - the holy grail. The Graal technique was developed from overlay glass by Knut Bergqvist technically and Simon Gates artistically in 1916, both of Orrefors Glassworks. In addition, Fritz Blomqvist and Albert Ahlin contributed to the development of graal glass The first step is to produce the core. ...

www.midnightsun-designs.com/techniques.asp

The decorating process whereby a design is carved, engraved, or etched on a parison, of colored glass, which is then reheated, encased in a thick outer layer of transparent glass of a different color, and inflated.

www.glasstopia.com/e_site/infopack/glossary/g.html

Frankly, I'm shocked that people are still playing it on Live. The multiplayer (its supposed redeeming feature) was a floaty, uncoordinated mess.

I'd disagree - been playing a lot recently on Live, and with the right bunch on multiplayer you get some really dynamic games.

One of those gaming Marmite things perhaps.

There's a lot of enjoyment to be had in it I reckon.

ok - so, 2nd night of playing. I've done the nigthclub and the warehouse/subway level after that - I'm now on the race across the rooftops.

If this game is SO BAD then why am I enjoying it so much. Seriously, maybe I'm mad as a baloon, but I've stopped playing CoD2 to play this.

The nightclub level has so many ways it can be approached - straight in the front door all guns blazing - or maybe sneaking in the back and punching the fire alarm.

There's a few touches that I really like and more FPS should have them... cover is a great touch. I know RS6 does this as well - it also works really well here. My only gripe is that the ability to cover seems to be a bit inconsistent... but overall, it's great. Same with the dodge moves with the z-button.

Overall - colour me happy. The AI is a bit rubbish, but there's plenty of baddies around and the combat is nicely visceral without resorting to over the top gore.

You know, just fired this up again for the first time in months myself and it really isn't as ridiculously awful as the masses would have you believe. I think the N64 legacy behind it, the want for a new "Halo", and the fact it was a long-awaited launch title for the first next-gen system all went against it...but with the dust settled, it's actually a good laugh going back for a replay.

For one, I think the weapons and gadgets are ace. Fiddle with the settings a bit, and you can get 'em handling fab too. I also dig how the levels and objectives alter as you play on different difficulties. Replaying on the hardest one is like a completely new game.

Co-op is also brilliant. Really well done, especially on the rooftops map.

I agree the checkpoint system is balls, as the story/cut-scenes all pap, but it's fun to play at the end of the day...on and offline. S'all that matters.

Nabbed decent scores across the board at gamerankings too I see...including a 9.0 on gamespot.

Yep. It's seriously underrated- a bit rough around the edges as it was clearly rushed to launch, but a lot of the design really can't be faulted and it is in many ways immensely fun to play. Lots of depth there too, both in SP and MP. It's a shame in a way it was such a highly anticipated sequel- with a bit more room to breathe people might have appreciated it some more.

Map Pack 2 is out!

And it's free.

Wow! Nice, thanks Rare <_< I was expecting Map Pack 2 to

i) never come out

ii) cost lots of points if it does

One of those gaming Marmite things perhaps.

There's a lot of enjoyment to be had in it I reckon.

Yep definitely, months later I'm still playing and enjoying PDZ more than most 'popular' 360 titles...

it still the second worst controlling fps off all time, only behind far cry 360.

oh and the hovercraft level is the single worst designed level i can remember in a full price product. the way the hovercraft moves, jack's dialogue, the way he blows up the wall by crouching next to it for a minute with nothing in his hands. the way the enemies run up to you and just stand there. how you dont know what to do when you need to blow up the pylon thingies.

its the very definition of a shit game.

it still the second worst controlling fps off all time, only behind far cry 360.

oh and the hovercraft level is the single worst designed level i can remember in a full price product. the way the hovercraft moves, jack's dialogue, the way he blows up the wall by crouching next to it for a minute with nothing in his hands. the way the enemies run up to you and just stand there. how you dont know what to do when you need to blow up the pylon thingies.

its the very definition of a shit game.

The hovercraft level is great - you start off in a tiny little cell block and by the end you're skimming across the waves in a flaming... hover... thing.

Jack's dialogue is dreadful.

All games have stuff in them that doesn't work properly or that looks crap. No big deal.

If you play on a harder difficulty, you'll find t's a different game.

The way mission objectives are described is a bit sketchy but the information is there. Plus they turn your crosshair red.

It's a good game. It's fun.

when im piloting the most abysmally designed water craft of videogame history into dead ends, the walls are clipping all over the place, jacks telling off and calling me 'kid'.

awful game. and yet i keep it cos its worth nothing.

ok - so, 2nd night of playing. I've done the nigthclub and the warehouse/subway level after that - I'm now on the race across the rooftops.

If this game is SO BAD then why am I enjoying it so much. Seriously, maybe I'm mad as a baloon, but I've stopped playing CoD2 to play this.

Your not alone, I haven't played COD2 beyond 3 levels (and its still sitting there since last christmas) and always come back to PD0 for shooter related...erm, shooting. COD2 did have its own merits though (alot of atmoshpere).

All games have stuff in them that doesn't work properly or that looks crap. No big deal.

The aiming in PDZ was simply broken. That's a big deal. Looking back over this thread that seems to be a fairly big complaint from the majority.

Seriously, maybe I'm mad as a baloon, but I've stopped playing CoD2 to play this.

Yep I think that is confirmation that you're as mad as a balloon.

The aiming in PDZ was simply broken. That's a big deal. Looking back over this thread that seems to be a fairly big complaint from the majority.

That and the guns being less effect than a tickle and dealing inconsistent amounts of damage. At the time I mentioned that the single player was like playing an online game with the lag because you never knew if the shotgun blast to the back was actually going to kill someone. That's of course without going into the mountain of other problems the game had.

I can't imagine it's gotten better over time.

I was talking specifically about Jack not holding anything in his hands while priming a demo charge. The aiming is weird and unweildy, no arguments here.

Yep, have to agree the aiming is terrible. The problem being that with out auto aim it swings far to much, it sorta speeds up as you move. Yet with auto aim on you cant go for head shots and other targets as easily.

Perfect Dark (the original) was great for its time but the lack of health packs, check points and tiny maps for multiplayer show how old hat PDZ really is. For multiplayer the large maps really ruined it. They are FAR too big and open to be enjoyable, it really needed in door maps with lots of corridors to be fun.

Yep, have to agree the aiming is terrible. The problem being that with out auto aim it swings far to much, it sorta speeds up as you move. Yet with auto aim on you cant go for head shots and other targets as easily.

I really could have had fun with the multiplayer of PDZ if I could have found aiming settings that actually worked for me. 'Infection' was potentially great fun. Such a waste. :(

I think PD0's biggest failing was that it's depth was hidden underneath a slightly dodgy top level of incoherence. Once you get into it, it's really rather good.

That's the thing: Talk to people, who gave it more than just a quick blast on the lower difficulty levels and more often than not, you end up hearing how much they liked the game.

I feel the same way. It's got so many nice features, so much hidden depth and it feels immensely satisfying whenever you complete a level on Perfect Agent. Even the aiming isn't broken. It just doesn't give you much autoaim/aimassist.

And online co-op is just amazing.

That's the thing: Talk to people, who gave it more than just a quick blast on the lower difficulty levels and more often than not, you end up hearing how much they liked the game.

I've given it more than a quick blast and I can tell you it's the worst game I've played in a long while.

I feel the same way. It's got so many nice features, so much hidden depth and it feels immensely satisfying whenever you complete a level on Perfect Agent. Even the aiming isn't broken. It just doesn't give you much autoaim/aimassist.

Those nice features were great in 1998. The game ignored all the advancements that have arrived in the FPS world since the original. If only they had looked at other games.

And online co-op is just amazing.

Rooftops is amazing, even I admit that. Everything else was a waste. The big problem being that everyone can see what the problems were but Rare had no clue. Checkpoints, guns that fire bullets instead of Nerf and a story that isn't completely awful.

Never noticed any lag online though, so I guess that's one positive.