The Thick Of It

Luke

Its been coming for a while with Malcolm, lots of little bits this series showing him moving further out to the edge of power. I wonder if that entire amazing scene with the Tory spin doctor was to set him up to move across to that side, as he doesn't seem to have too many convictions of his own so shouldn't have too much trouble moving across.

So the BBC guide for episode 8 says that

as the election looms and the Opposition eye the prize, the word around the Westminster Village is that Malcolm Tucker is running out of both options and friends. He may have bitten off more than he can chew with Steve Fleming, but when an offer of help appears from an unlikely direction, Malcolm starts to set his finest trap yet.

In which case,

I can see Malcolm using the opposition to get back at the government, but I can't really see him working for them. Rather I think he'll set a trap for the government that the opposition fall into as well - something which affects both sides, like the expenses scandal.

I certainly can't see him moving to the opposition... let's face it, the opposition wouldn't touch him with a barge pole - now that he's all over the papers and discredited.

Really looking forward to it.

My only problem with the series is that each episode seems to finish too soon... I'm always left at the end wanting more.... and I suppose that's a good thing.

Watched episode 1 of series 1 yesterday for the first time. Just brilliant. I could watch this series ALL DAY.

I certainly can't see him moving to the opposition... let's face it, the opposition wouldn't touch him with a barge pole - now that he's all over the papers and discredited.

Really looking forward to it.

My only problem with the series is that each episode seems to finish too soon... I'm always left at the end wanting more.... and I suppose that's a good thing.

Watched episode 1 of series 1 yesterday for the first time. Just brilliant. I could watch this series ALL DAY.

Yeah after the two one hour specials and then In The Loop. half an hour just isn't enough. Always leaves me wanting more.

Superbly done, the way Malcolm became "the story" and Flemming out-manouevered him...

Armando Iannucci was on BBC Breakfast and said he wants to do more, although he said he'd been too busy working on the series to worry about the process of asking the BBC for more. The only problem with a Thick of It election special/series would be treading the line on impartiality and fair coverage...

Superbly done, the way Malcolm became "the story" and Flemming out-manouevered him...

Armando Iannucci was on BBC Breakfast and said he wants to do more, although he said he'd been too busy working on the series to worry about the process of asking the BBC for more. The only problem with a Thick of It election special/series would be treading the line on impartiality and fair coverage...

But why? They are fictional characters. Obviously the party in power is based on Labour and the opposition is based on the Tories but they are never referenced as such. In fact the names of the parties are never mentioned at all anywhere.

Put it on the saturday after the election?

I was semi distracted whilst watching ep 7 last night. Can someone give me the gist as to why

Malcom was sacked? From what I gathered it was for some innocuous comment in a phone call but surely there must have been more to it that

that?

My theory:

One of "Tom"'s former spin doctors (Thin Blue Line Guy) was originally got rid of by Malcolm. With all the problems at DOSAC in this series, it's been perceived by those above him that Malcolm might be taking his eye off the ball a bit (indeed, there have been points where he's been displaying the symptoms of an imminent nervous breakdown). With Thin Blue Line Guy returning, he has been able to gain the ear of the PM while Malcolm has been dealing more and more with DOSAC, and has managed to manoeuvre himself into a position where he can manipulate the PM into forcing Malcolm to resign for the errors he's made.

Basically, it's Thin Blue Line Guy's revenge.

Excellent, nice one.

I did like that during the

"celebration" at Malcolm getting the boot that Glenn was actually questioning whether it was really good news or not. At least someone knew what Pol Pottymouth was all about.

As for the next series I don't see why a change of government would affect anything - they'd still be the same characters doing the same things just at different desks.

The other factor was that

Malcolm had become the story as he was losing control of DOSAC. Then he was quite clearly trying to influence Julius' inquiry into the crime stats problem by getting Nicola Murray to say he never called her about it... his defence being that he was on holiday at the time

I've a niggling feeling that this won't go all that well for Malcolm.

It's been commented on by the cast that Dosac is a place for politians to do fuck all quietly until they retire - a back room, out of the loop type office - and Malcolm has been spending more and more time there.

As he's been sacked, it gives him the opportunity to do something new in the next series with existing characters, particularly as Labour are unlikely to win the next election.

Maybe a PR firm or something. A quango.

"You... naughty bastard!"

That was very enjoyable but it seemed terribly rushed. So much stuff was introduced and then dismissed within minutes: the anti-Tom cabal, the report causing Steve Fleming's downfall, the fact that Steve Fleming is in the bloody Cabinet, all of that. Seemed like it could have done with at least another episode.

Still! Here's hoping for an election campaign series or special.

I didn't get to see the red button thing because my mum wanted to switch over to the comedy awards. :(

Although fortunately it was just in time to see Armando Iannucci pick up the best comedy film award for In The Loop. ("My seat was labelled 'Lannucci'... 20 years I've been in this business!")

Hmm. Although you're right, there's no need to be so fucking rude about it.

Frankly, given the series involved, that seems rather tame. I'd have gone with, "How about you go outside this thread, actually, outside your fucking house, and hire a fucking Daily Mail photographer to stalk your fucking web browser for a month, and I bet even then you still wouldn't see what the fucking subtitle of this thread was". Or something.