IGNORED

The Thick Of It

Luke

Classic episode. Really peeled back the layers of everone from Spads and civil servants to MPs and their henchmen. Loved how all the external stuff was never shown outside the courtroom where Tucker's actions came into effect. Watching him squirm and the retribution as a result was wonderful, as was his soliloquy at the end.

i didn't really enjoy this, thought it felt a bit odd.

The enquiry panel were all played very straight and real world, which really jarred for me with the sketched cartoon nature of the main characters, in normal episodes its fine as they all sit in the same universe but this felt awkward, like in the old 70s sitcoms when they made films and took the characters out of their usual surroundings.

highlighted again what an awesome actor Peter Capaldi is as Tucker but for me the whole series has been really patchy and a major disappointment.

Haven't seen last nights yet - but I last weeks was mental. I think over the course of a few series, we'd (or at least I had anyway) forgotten just how much of an evil shite Malcom Tucker really is... you're really not supposed to like him. But you can't help but laugh like fuck at what he says and how he goes about achieving his goals.

thats not my point, my point is they did act very similar and it really jarred for me in the setting with the panel as the characters are quite cartoony to begin with.

are you sure about that? Have you seen the coalition government we've got just now? They're probably not cartoony enough! Even Annunici was saying on Twitter that he reckons the government has now jumped the shark.

Didn't think much of that, tbh. Didn't really fit in with the series as a whole, and had the sense of self-indulgence, or worse, taking itselfvtoo seriously, with its real world references to problems with the Chief Whip's office etc.

Hopefully back to what it does best next week.

Didn't think much of that, tbh. Didn't really fit in with the series as a whole, and had the sense of self-indulgence, or worse, taking itselfvtoo seriously, with its real world references to problems with the Chief Whip's office etc.

Hopefully back to what it does best next week.

that's the genius of TTOI. These episodes written ages ago.

That was great, I was hoping for a longer polemic or breakdown from Malcolm but the "popularity at any cost" speech was really good.

Robyn's examples of bullying were great - "If you refuse to make your boss' tea they call you Mariella Shitstrop" :lol:

thats not my point, my point is they did act very similar and it really jarred for me in the setting with the panel as the characters are quite cartoony to begin with.

I think I know what you mean, I found it really jarring to begin with; the panel were playing things very realistic and it didn't mix well with the OTT language and performances from the regular cast. That only lasted about 10 minutes for me though as the panel got less and less realistic (especially the baroness and the guy on the right).

I loved that. I don't see why people worry if Malcolm is good or not, its a show about politicians - they are all villains to a man. Tucker is just such a magnificent Shit that you have to like him. Imagine if you actually had to work with a man like that, it would be terrifying! Like Campbell in real life the only virtue he possesses if you can even call it that is a fanatical loyalty to his party (And burnley fc) and tribal hatred of all others.

I've been loving the series up to now but last nights was just a bit... dry? I didn't really laugh. I did enjoy Malcolm's speech at the end but felt it wasn't really in his character to be lost for words when confronted with the photo.

It was a pretty good idea to put these characters that we're familiar with in "the real world", so we can cringe at seeing them on the spot and embarrassing themselves. (I think the toughest thing I've ever watched was David Brent at the night club appearance) but it just didn't feature enough reactions from the general public to capture that.

I would have rather had a 1hr "normal" episode but if you're going to

kill off (politically speaking) Malcolm Tucker

then you have to do something different I guess.

I'll actually be pretty disappointed if Malcolm is ruined over this.

It doesn't make sense. Like they pointed out it was him who highlighted he was in the photo. Am hoping this is all his long game and they're going o push him until he reveals who handed him the file.

For someone who is akin to purposefully leaking stuff in this way - and to be doing so at the very time to then inadvertently do it themselves at that point in time - would seem a bit too opportune. When would the 1 time you would be most wary of what you're showing you're carrying be?

I was rather underwhelmed by that episode. Maybe I just watched it in the wrong mood for it, but I didn't laugh once.

I also found it totally unbelievable that Malcolm would admit that he set up the 'Bat people' photo. Someone of his political experience would never needlessly admit to something that would cast him in a bad light, not least in a public inquiry of all things. It was an awfully contrived way of setting up the old pride before fall thing.

I thought it was magnificent.

The change of setting by bringing the characters in front of the enquiry worked for me, the contrast served to highlight how ridiculous the characters had become or had always been. I really enjoyed the sense of events happening outside of the enquiry, felt like we were more on the frontline than usual. Rather than the occasional press conference or tv screen showing reaction, this felt like the sharp end of political life.

I loved Malcolm's speech, particularly his suggestion that you don't get to be in this room unless you know how this works. That was a poignant line because the beauty of this episode was that the rules have clearly changed and things that were once acceptable, aren't anymore, leaving Malcolm without his usual defensive mechanisms. The way Malcolm's desperate attempt to smear the Baroness was conveyed was excellent. The whole episode being shot and delivered in a style of an actual Parliamentary Enquiry without ever cutting away really helped with the goldfish bowl feeling.

For me, one of the best bits of satire and comedy I've seen in ages.