Djs

Nate Dogg III

God, I've been meaning to start this topic for months now. From what I can tell there's Afterbirth, Timdp, and acidbearboy....any others? What do you play, how long have you been playing, what set up have you got.....tell us everything.

I've barely touched my decks in months, I must admit. The last two times I've had a proper mix have both been gigs. :rolleyes: At the moment I'm alternating between deep house with electroey/analogue basslines and silly bleeps, and the Chicago jackin' stuff along the lines of Carter and Yousef, but I've been round a fair few musical blocks in the 8 years I've been playing....

I started out in '97 with a crappy pair of soundlab belt drives, playing d&b, then got into the early garage stuff, then trance, then settled into house music, of which I've been playing various styles since 2000.

Set-up is 2x1210s, 1xCDJ800 and a DJM600 mixer.

So....anyone else?

I have been DJing for about 3/4 years and play deep/soulful house. I started playing all sorts of house, but settled on this style. I have played out a couple of times, but never really gone any furter with it. Probably becasue of the lack of credible bars and clubs in my area. I'm setting up a site at the moment to house my mixes.

I've got 2 x Numark TT200s, Denon DNS 3000 CD Deck and an Allen and Heath X One 32 Mixer.

I really should invest some time in it really, as I usually get good feedback to my style. I could use the cash too!

Hmm, I sorta am but very hobbyist and haven't actually done any mixing for a long time. The main thing stopping me at the moment is not having a desk since I moved up to Newcastle so my decks are just languishing under my bed. I know what desk I want from Ikea but I just need to get round to badgering someone into giving me a lift there.

I suppose I'm mostly into playing Hip Hop, though I sometimes just play whatever I listen to, which covers pretty much anything. I got into it because I was interested in scratching but to be honest I've never put the practice into that to be any good - however I quickly went from not understanding what mixing was all about to thinking it was the greatest thing in the world. I think I try to mix Hip hop a lot more than DJs I see when I'm out who usually just cut direct from one song to the next. I also like to play songs in full most of the time, it always irritates me when people only play the first verse of a song you really love.

I think I got my first set of decks in 99/2000 maybe, definately before I went to uni, pretty much the Numark DJ in a Box kit but with a Vestax mixer as I got talking to the guy in the shop and he threw it in for not much more. I still use the Numark speakers, should really get an amp someday, but now have 2 Vestax Decks, 1 the standard straight arm and the other the one designed to be turned around (just bought them when I saw them for good prices) and a Stanton mixer, which I forget the name of - blue and super quick crossfader. I'd really like a CD Deck, it gets quite frustrating when you have a song in your mind that you want to mix but then realise you only have it on CD.

I'd really like a CD Deck, it gets quite frustrating when you have a song in your mind that you want to mix but then realise you only have it on CD.

unfortunately it's a double-edged sword. as soon as you get a cd deck you realise that you can't play two cds in a row so have to go vinyl-cd-vinyl which is as limiting as it is liberating, really. quite annoying.

BUT the possibilities that CDJs open up are phenomenal. the 800 pitch control can be set to plus or minus 100%, with a button that locks the musical pitch to zero, so you can speed up or slow down to your heart's content without mickey mousing the vocals etc. theoretically you can mix anything with anything, it's wonderful. beastie boys 'shake your rump' over 'higher state of consciousness'? ah, go on then. :(

unfortunately it's a double-edged sword. as soon as you get a cd deck you realise that you can't play two cds in a row so have to go vinyl-cd-vinyl which is as limiting as it is liberating, really. quite annoying.

yeah, I'd definately want to go straight onto 2 CD decks. I had a chance to use a pair when DJing at my union once and it was great fun even though they probably weren't the best in the world.

Mostly 'Time Warp', 'Shoop Shoop Song', 'YMCA', 'Agadoo', 'Birdie Song'....mainly the classics.

Will you DJ at my wedding reception?

Well I've just got some CD decks at home which is great for doing house parties, but I'd love to do work at the Student Union or Halls. Hopefully I'll get some oppertunities through Sure to do some indie stuff, we'll see I guess.

I've been playing for about 6-7 years. I was a mobile DJ before I went to Uni - weddings, birthdays, rollerdiscos, the lot. I had a pair of knackered Soundlab beltdrives at home and badly mixed trance and house.

Went to Uni and slowly got into stuff in the uni (in fact EXACTLY as Bushby is attempting to do!) and first started doing the union bars towards the end of my first year. Then got did the odd union club night (old 90s dance) and did the same thing in a bar/club in town. Started doing Bar One most Fri/Sat nights between 2001-3, along with a Indie/Rock night down at the Casbah and random one offs, got a bit pissed off playing cheese all the time so stopped, along with needing to do a lot more work at uni.

Just over 2 years ago me and a couple of mates got asked to started doing a 'credible' dance night in the second room of the Union Friday night, still going strong and Fridays are arguably the best performing night this year numbers wise compared to the lasy few years. Also did the upstairs bar at Kingdom for a bit along with the Get Fresh events we do every now and again.

Start of this academic year, we started doing the odd one off on a Monday, I got asked to do Bar One again on a Friday but with a remit to play what I liked, so ends up as mainly house/commercial dance but sometimes some indie/rock at the start if Offbeat is on. I also do a more chilled night on a Sunday in the same place.

I also cover the odd shift for the other DJs in Bar One/Union club nights and the F&D, sometimes play at Gatecrasher and Kingdom etc. and all do the one off events like Carnival, ExamSlam, Union Christmas Day, Hall/Departmental Balls. Also do my fair share of house parties.

In any one week I'll have played house, old trance, hiphop, funk, soul, DnB, indie, rock, downtempo, electro, electronica, rnb, cheese and probably someother genre's I've forgotten.

I suppose the 'highlight' (as a specific event rather than the ongoing success of a lot of the stuff I do) has been DJing with Dave Pearce about 6 months ago. Oh and lending Pat Sharpe my headphones. :P

My favourite I suppose is house (of varying kinds) I can play that for hours without getting bored, although I do pride myself in doing a 'quality' cheese night and similarly 90s dance.

My current setup at home is 2x SL1200, 2x CDJ800 and a DJM300. I also occassionaly use Tracktor on my laptop on Sunday nights depending on what mood I'm in.

That's was possibly my longest post ever! Apologies for all the Sheffield references btw :P

I got some shite decks when I was at college during 98/99. They were awful belt drive things that didn't even have a make or model number. I only got them because they were cheap - £120 in Cash Converters including a basic mixer.

I already had some vinyl as I was into dance music anyway but when I got my decks I went into overload. Once I finished college I got a full time job so I was spending around £50 on records a week. Started off in HMV and Virgin buying the commercial house and trance stuff but the more I got into it the deeper underground I went.

I got some 1200's probably a year or two later, along with a better mixer. By that time I was buying everything on vinyl (I do like all kinds of music). I had one of those cheap 2 cd decks with mixer built in jobs from Argos but could never get the hang of it. My current set up is those two 1200's (still with the same needles which really need replacing) and a Behringer DX 500 Pro Mixer.

I haven't played a proper gig before. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so spent a couple of years practising every night in my bedroom. I then entered a local competition and got to the finals, tried again the follwing two years with rather less success. The guy I used to chat to from HMV liked similar music to me so asked for a tape and subsequently let me play in one of the bars in town on a Thursday night every few weeks, that was probably my career highlight!

I rarely have a mix these days, I find it hard to devote enough time to it. Shopping, practising, gigging and everything else that goes with it is hard to fit in with a job, uni, a girlfriend and playing games (especially PSO-that pretty much owned me for a few years). I think it is very hard to remain passionate about DJing if you are not giving it the majority of your attention. Also, none of my close friends are into dance music, especially not underground house and techno. This I think is another reason DJing is on the backburner for me, along with going clubbing.

As for my musical style, well as I said I do like all sorts of music. My collection covers a wide range of styles. Trance, Progressive, Breaks, Funky House, Deep House, Breakbeat Hardcore, Disco, Techno, Tech-House and Electronic type stuff. The deeper side of things tend to be my speciality, building up to something a little more chunky and funky. Oh and I fucking loves the acid house innit!

Mostly into late 80's and early 90's hip-hop, with some current underground stuff popping up occasionally. I'm also looking towards 60's soul, and stuff like that.

I haven't done anything in over a year now, bar a couple of gigs for friends (who keep bloody asking for Jump Around by House of Pain). I've been without room to put my equipment (2xGemini XL300s and one of those Vestax mixers with the gold-coloured coverplate) and without time to really think about jumping back in due to my degree.

Still undecided about what to do with it all for my 3rd year. I miss it but I still can't see myself having time or space to do anything with it. When my studies are over though, I plan on getting the hell back in.

Mostly trance and hard house. Used to play at clubs when I was living down in Newquay.

I got my first decks way back! 2 belt drive things and a really minimal mixer. But it's true that if you start learning on belt drives, it makes it a hell of a lot easier when you upgrade to direct drive.

I also produce music. Mostly trance stuff. But I've also done a couple of Drum N Bass tracks, some garage stuff, happy hardcore and even some rock/grunge style stuff!

There's also the infamous CS2X. He never posts on the forum just reads, i wish he bloody did post though. Very short rant over, he should be releasing his new album any time now, been waiting impatiently as all the pre-release stuff is fucking amazing.

I'm not a DJ at all really - I got into music production during the Rave era when i bought a Roland W30 workstation. I'd been into Hip Hop and electro but i was planning on writing Rave tracks at the time, but wanted to produce something more detailed. I bought a set of decks later to mix all the Detroit techno i was buying but never got to deep into it.

Then i concentrated on writing music on the compy and starting producing tracks using various programs, but i know Mp3' everything and mix it up with ACID.

Sadly, working shifts, and having a family has stopped me from becoming a DJ as such, but i create the mixes using ACID and Soundforge. I actually only post em' here or NTSC-UK.

I mix Techno, Electronica, Trip Hop, Hip Hop and Jazz Funk. Oh and maybe house. When i can find enough tracks i like.

I suggest that everybody here posts a mix up for us to hear their chosen style.

On a side note, have any of you vinyl or cd DJ's tried mp3 mixing?

The next house party we have I think I'll try and DJ off two iPods. Should be interesting, though thinking about it I'm not sure that's what you meant. There's a guy who we follow on Monday evenings who does his whole show mixing on his laptop, I'm looking for some decent (preferably free) software to try the same thing.

I'll get working on that mix.

Your Streetbeats mixes are pretty much what I'd love to be able to do (well I've only heard 3 & 4), I don't know how much of it is possible on decks but I'd certainly like to get into that style of mixing and matching instrumentals/vocals. I have a few recorded mixes on my computer at home and I have a short one online here I think: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=425943&T=2735

Most of it would be possible, but you have to remember that the way you mix using proggies gives you far more creative control.

Certain FX can be done live, like delays, and phasers, but others are better when programmed and theres certain things you just can't do, or have to spend a lot of time programming to recreate the FX. The difference is mainly the mixing and FX are normally in time which each other.

I wouldn't sell myself as a DJ though. I know jack about scratching tecniques and many hardcore hip hop heads prefer that rawness and would argue that using technology is no substitute for real deck skills.

But then, the use of sampling is embedded into hip hop and the whole point of the synth was to replicate a real instrument, and take it to new extremes.

For example, i've layered accapellas over new breaks and changed the flow of the track. SBeats 3 does this on the intro, and with Kool G Rap's On the run mixing with a intrumental of Pharcydes running.

I had to program the timing of the accapella to fit because i had no reference track to use. Theres no way of knowing what BPM an accapella runs at unless you have a reference beat - so i thought fuck it, i'll run with it and edit it accordingly.

I wanted to take mixes back to the Electro days where there was no MC sending out shouts and say 'REMIX' every time a new track comes into play. Another challenge is that hip hop tracks these days aren't geared towards mixing anymore. They start with an 4 or 8 bar intro and thats it where as old skool hip hop used to have the 808 or S900 running the break and sample for a long period (hence the term 'DJ only') - so they were geared for mixing.

I'd like to think there was room for both TBH. If you want Rawness with deck skills, then mix with decks and be a real DJ.

If you want to delve deeper into the music, sampling, programming and matching process, then the computer is the way to go.

I do like the hands on approach but I have that methodic/slightly OCD-like approach that means I enjoy editing things in fine detail too. I got quite into cutting up beats right down to single snare hits and things with ACID, it's just a shame that the old version is a bit too clunky for actually making a mix, it takes sooo long to get even the basics together. Maybe one of these days I'll get a computer that's powerful enough for sound recording/editing and get a newer sequencing program and really have a go at it.

I've got no mixes online but here's a couple of tracklists (from memory so they may not be 100% accurate) of my best ones. if anyone fancies hosting just yell, or I can send CDs in the post. They're pretty old now but I still love them.

Going Forward (deep analoguey techy house malarkey)

Metro Area - Soft Hoop / Julie McKnight - Diamond Life (acapella)

Telepopmusik - Breathe

Solaris Heights - Sunlight

Doc L Junior - Just an E (Home and Garden remix)

Jas - Hitchhiking (Streetlife Originals Mix)

Jolly Music - Talco Uno (Tiefschwarz Screwed-up Vocal Remix)

Jack Myers and the Ralph Herren Band - Think Twice (Swag Mix)

PTY Ltd - Who's Been Watching You (2nd Shift Remix)

Bushwacka - 4 Da Night *** (not sure this is actually the title)

Nile - 3 In Da Morning (Swag's Up All Night Mix) / Metro Area - Caught Up

Depeche Mode - Dream On (Buschwacka Tough Guy Mix)

16b - Escape (Driving To Heaven)

Sharem Jey - Take Control / Kings of Tomorrow - Finally (acapella)

Games (jacking chicago house)

Rithma - Love and Music

Solid Gold Playaz - Summer Groove

? - Awoke EP

Brett Johnson - Broken

Greenskeepers - Cure My Peaches

DJ Sneak - Down Wit Da Dub / Supermen Lovers - Starlight (BHQ Rub)

Blakkat - Give Into Love (Sneak Mix)

Inland Knights - Jazjam

No Assembly Required - Blu Can Swing

Majestika - Mind Magic (Dub) / Faith Evans - Love Like This (acapella)

No Assembly Required - I Am Music

The Mighty Bop - I Go Crazy

Derrick L Carter - Squaredancing in a Round House (BHQ Revisits the Classic)

Slater Hogan & John Larner - Caught Out

Style of Eye - Right Now

David K - Yo Chicago

Mike Dixon - Jump & Shout

:)

That looks very reminicent to the style of stuff I used to play a few years ago Nate, when I was well into it all. I find it hard making a mix these days as I don't know my records as well as I should. Not to mention the fact that my collection is in a complete unorganised mess. I tend to record my mix into Soundforge and if anything goes horribly wrong then I just redo the mix and cut and edit afterwards. It does tend to either go really well or really bad, I just give up and do something else with the latter. Tried some mp3 mixing a couple of times but I find it very hard and very time consuming. I also think it's better suited to short sharp mixes rather than the long flowing blends that I like to use.

That looks very reminicent to the style of stuff I used to play a few years ago Nate, when I was well into it all. I find it hard making a mix these days as I don't know my records as well as I should. Not to mention the fact that my collection is in a complete unorganised mess. I tend to record my mix into Soundforge and if anything goes horribly wrong then I just redo the mix and cut and edit afterwards. It does tend to either go really well or really bad, I just give up and do something else with the latter. Tried some mp3 mixing a couple of times but I find it very hard and very time consuming. I also think it's better suited to short sharp mixes rather than the long flowing blends that I like to use.

well the first one's two years old now and the last one was done in feb 2004. i'm too fucking lazy to do anything now. i never used soundforge to tidy up; i'd just redo and redo until i was happy with it. unfortunately by the time you're done with the mix you're sick of all the records and never play them again. :P

When at uni (and a fair few times since) I DJed for the indie music society (and, to a lesser extent, the 60s and 70s music society).

This was mostly just in the Union's smallest venue, but I think I've DJed in all the union venues at one time or another. It also involved DJing at a Coventry night club, mainly just in the side room, but once in the main room.

One time, at the club, I DJed as warm-up for a DJ set from Mani (Stone Roses/Primal Scream), and had to show him how to use all their crappy run down kit (and lend him some headphones).