IGNORED

Djs

Nate Dogg III

One time, at the club, I DJed as warm-up for a DJ set from Mani (Stone Roses/Primal Scream), and had to show him how to use all their crappy run down kit (and lend him some headphones).

I aaaallways forget my headphones :) It's usually involved a mad dash back home though as there is no one to lend any off, celebrities eh?

I got some shite decks when I was at college during 98/99. They were awful belt drive things that didn't even have a make or model number. I only got them because they were cheap - £120 in Cash Converters including a basic mixer.

I already had some vinyl as I was into dance music anyway but when I got my decks I went into overload. Once I finished college I got a full time job so I was spending around £50 on records a week. Started off in HMV and Virgin buying the commercial house and trance stuff but the more I got into it the deeper underground I went.

I got some 1200's probably a year or two later, along with a better mixer. By that time I was buying everything on vinyl (I do like all kinds of music). I had one of those cheap 2 cd decks with mixer built in jobs from Argos but could never get the hang of it. My current set up is those two 1200's (still with the same needles which really need replacing) and a Behringer DX 500 Pro Mixer.

I haven't played a proper gig before. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so spent a couple of years practising every night in my bedroom. I then entered a local competition and got to the finals, tried again the follwing two years with rather less success. The guy I used to chat to from HMV liked similar music to me so asked for a tape and subsequently let me play in one of the bars in town on a Thursday night every few weeks, that was probably my career highlight!

I rarely have a mix these days, I find it hard to devote enough time to it. Shopping, practising, gigging and everything else that goes with it is hard to fit in with a job, uni, a girlfriend and playing games (especially PSO-that pretty much owned me for a few years). I think it is very hard to remain passionate about DJing if you are not giving it the majority of your attention. Also, none of my close friends are into dance music, especially not underground house and techno. This I think is another reason DJing is on the backburner for me, along with going clubbing.

As for my musical style, well as I said I do like all sorts of music. My collection covers a wide range of styles. Trance, Progressive, Breaks, Funky House, Deep House, Breakbeat Hardcore, Disco, Techno, Tech-House and Electronic type stuff. The deeper side of things tend to be my speciality, building up to something a little more chunky and funky. Oh and I fucking loves the acid house innit!

I thought as much! Feedback and then some. ;)

How could you have possibly have thought all that about me!?!

It took me ages to think it all up, before I even started to type it!

I'm a bit lazy with the quote button..

You think I read it all? :D I stopped at the word decks. ;)

Here's a latiny housey kindofamix I did about a month or so ago. It's about 30meg and about 30mins long.

I'll post the tracklisting when/if anyone listens to it!

This was on Traktor right? The artifacts on the slow down at the end just didn't sound turntabley.

Some comments:

Could have done with a better intro, something without beats? A sample? Just something to stop it being so in your face.

Mixing was good overall. Some very well arranged, others less so. Beatmatching started very well and tailed off towards the end.

Nice funky tunes, only recognised one. Least fave was the final tune.

Could have done with being a touch slower overall, I found it a little bit too quick.

Thanks. I enjoyed that.

Well I just plain don't understand what you were on about then.

I had a feeling you were a DJ type reading your feedback in the Mix CD thread, you posting in this thread just confirmed it for me, that's all.

There's also the infamous CS2X. He never posts on the forum just reads, i wish he bloody did post though. Very short rant over, he should be releasing his new album any time now, been waiting impatiently as all the pre-release stuff is fucking amazing.

Ah, thanks for the kind words.

The guys helping me out with the whole thing just phoned actually, and confirmed that as well as the album, I'll be doing some remixes of weird avante guarde classical stuff. Should be a laugh-I think I'll just mash it up and abuse it a bit. All pretty exciting.

This was on Traktor right?  The artifacts on the slow down at the end just didn't sound turntabley.

Some comments: 

Could have done with a better intro, something without beats?  A sample?  Just something to stop it being so in your face.

Mixing was good overall.  Some very well arranged, others less so.  Beatmatching started very well and tailed off towards the end.

Nice funky tunes, only recognised one.  Least fave was the final tune.

Could have done with being a touch slower overall, I found it a little bit too quick.

Thanks.  I enjoyed that.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. It was all done off CDs on a pair of Pioneer CDJ800s. Personally the two mixes I though I messed up were the first one and the last one. The first one the phrasing got a bit screwing and I just messed the last one up!

As regards the intro, I tend just to hit go and record, otherwise I end up worrying up stuff to much and messing up, but you are right though.

There's a mix of old and brand new tunes on there which probably explains the arrangments being a big dodgy in places just due to not knowing the records as well as I might.

Tracklisting:

1. Steppin' Out (AudioWhores Remix) - Deep Swing Pres. Jazz Transit

2. Keep Me Up (Bass Funk Dub) - Seminal Grooves

3. The Ride - Full Inention Pres. DiscoTex

4. Groove You Out Tonight (Groovin' U Out Mix) - Shiko Stylo feat. Tyree Cooper

5. Shake It (Latin Bootleg Mix) - Lee Cabrera

6. Trumpet Funk - Gorden Edge

7. Maden (Martin Solveig's Exotic Disco Mix) - Salif Keita

Which one did you recognise btw? Shake It?

Been playing Jungle for near 11 years. I play a lot of new stuff, off vinyl and cd, but can't resist mixing in a good bit of older stuff too. I tend to play more breaks-oriented stuff, most 2-step DnB just bores me after about two minutes, although I do dig some of it. I've been doing a radio show on the same station for the whole 11 years, it started on FM but now it's on the net. www.powerfm.org every wednesday at 10pm if you're interested, I keep meaning to post in the music folder about it but always forget. I play out a good bit in Ireland and have really really had a smashing time doing it. I do a bit of promotion too.

I'll also jump at the chance to play old skool hardcore, a touch of dubstep, reggae, jazz, electronica and I LOVE to play ambient too. Don't get so much of a chance to play that kind of stuff though...

Just thought I'd post a rock/indie mix up. Clocks in at just under 30 megs and just over 30 mins. Clicky.

Tracklisting

Libertines - The Ha Ha Wall

Ikara Colt - Wake in the City

The Bravery - Unconditional

Interpol - Slow Hands

Maximo Park - Graffiti

Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing

Soulwax - NY Excuse

Prodigy - Hotride

The Mars Volta - L'Via L'Viaquez (Cut and Paste Edit)

I bought two Numark TT200's last year, together with a Behringer VMX300 mixer. I must say that mixing is much harder then I imagined. Especially finding the right flow when you're mixing a long set is very hard, as I still don't have very much vinyl.

And it's a VERY expensive hobby, eBay is a good friend for every beginning DJ, but I won't even bother looking for rare early rave vinyl anymore.

Oh, I play mostly the harder styles of dance. Hardstyle, hardcore, early rave (1996 - 2000 hardcore), and sometimes terror. Yes, my neighbours love me.:unsure:

Quality, downloading now! Loved your last one!

Apart from Traktor (studio or vanilla?), what other programs are worth considering for laptop DJing?

Mixvibes 5 pro is pretty good, altough I still haven't found out how to create .cue files with it.

Oh, I play mostly the harder styles of dance. Hardstyle, hardcore, early rave (1996 - 2000 hardcore), and sometimes terror. Yes, my neighbours love me.:wub:

Maybe my definition of Rave differs from yours but 'early rave' to me is from about 88-92.

Breakbeat Hardcore is what I call it, DJ Slipmatt etc.

Maybe my definition of Rave differs from yours but 'early rave' to me is from about 88-92.

Breakbeat Hardcore is what I call it, DJ Slipmatt etc.

True, altough the definition is different on every forum I post.

IMO:

Early rave: before 1990

Oldschool: 1990 - 1994 (songs like 'nine is a classic')

Early hardcore: 1995 - 1999

But it depends a bit on every song, some oldschool tracks are fast enough to be called hardcore. :wub:

I bought two Numark TT200's last year, together with a Behringer VMX300 mixer. I must say that mixing is much harder then I imagined. Especially finding the right flow when you're mixing a long set is very hard, as I still don't have very much vinyl.

And it's a VERY expensive hobby, eBay is a good friend for every beginning DJ, but I won't even bother looking for rare early rave vinyl anymore.

Oh, I play mostly the harder styles of dance. Hardstyle, hardcore, early rave (1996 - 2000 hardcore), and sometimes terror. Yes, my neighbours love me.:D

There is a serious fault with the TT200s that drive me mental. Infact, they actually make accuate beat matching rock bollock hard. Have you noticed what it is yet? Or do you want me to ruin your decks for you? ;)

There is a serious fault with the TT200s that drive me mental. Infact, they actually make accuate beat matching rock bollock hard. Have you noticed what it is yet? Or do you want me to ruin your decks for you?  ;)

If they're the ones I started with then the problem's something to do with the pitch fader. They sorta snap to the cental position don't they? And when in the central position there is no adjustment to the pitch. So far so good. Except that there is also another point on the fader where there is no adjustment to the pitch. So when you first move the fader off centre you actually pitch down not up (or vice versa) AND there is a certain range 'hidden' under the centre of the fader that you can never actually adjust to because it snaps to no pitch adjustment again. I remember being a bit pissed off when I finally understood why I was having so much difficulty making small adjustments and trying to determine which song was still faster.

Mine is dipless? Weird. The pitch fader is crap fullstop really. There's no resistance to it, and it's not even very smooth.

Here's the clincher: They cheated to make the torque seem higher than it really is.

When starting up, the motor is given a 'boost' that makes the platter revolve faster. Great when cueing up, awful when trying to manually slow down a record to make adjustments when in the mix. By putting your thumb on the platter to correct a wandering beat match, will actually speed up the platter, normally making the beat match even worse.

They're rubbish decks, and i'll be gald to get some 1210s.

I tried to start mixing with decks a couple of years ago but never had the music to really learn any skills. More recently I've started to mix mp3s using Mixmeister and this has really peaked my interest as you can get some decent results with a bit of effort.

All of my mixes (bar the first) for the Mix cd club on this site have been mixed and the feedback so far has been pretty good. I tend to always have hip hop tracks included my favourite being instrumental stuff but I do like some faster stuff, a bit of house that kind of thing and also some indie stuff when the mood requires it.

I'm interested to hear what DJs who mix with vinyl think of this style of mixing as I appreciate that the skills required aren't as complex (in a way it's just cut and paste) but I tend to find that the results can be pretty good.

There is a serious fault with the TT200s that drive me mental. Infact, they actually make accuate beat matching rock bollock hard. Have you noticed what it is yet? Or do you want me to ruin your decks for you?  :P

Yup, had the same problems with the pitch fader as Identycrisisuk describes. Contacted Feedback (biggest DJ equipment store in the Netherlands) about it, and they told me that this was quite common with the TT200. Showed them how hard it was to match the beats, and they gave me a new one. Which worked (and still does work) perfectly. Very odd, but they're pretty decent decks now. I'm still saving my money for a pair of Technics though, but €700 for one turntable is a bit too much for a 17 year old student. :(

I'm interested to hear what DJs who mix with vinyl think of this style of mixing as I appreciate that the skills required aren't as complex (in a way it's just cut and paste) but I tend to find that the results can be pretty good.

The only real difference is the higher cost of music and the tremendous versatility you get from vinyl. If you don't have the money to spend, or don't feel the need to break out tricks (scratching, spinbacks etc) when in a mix, there isn't really any benefit to speak of.

I'm just happy that we're at a point where nobody needs to buy vinyl in order to DJ - other formats can be just as workable under certain circumstances.