Djs

Nate Dogg III

What sort of price can I expect to pay for a cd deck of a reasonable quality such as those mentioned above?

As you have Technics and a computer, have a look at Serato (or Final Scratch), all the benefits of CD decks but with the control of vinyl, the only problem being you'll need a laptop if you want to use it to play out. I'd recommend it, works well.

That looks nice but it's more money than I'd be willing to spend really. A cd deck for <£200 would be sweet. Anything worth getting for that price or should I look for second hand stuff?

Are you just getting the one CD deck? If you're getting two @ £200 then Serato would work out cheaper. timdp managed to import one from America for about £300 I think, have a word with him if that's within your price range.

Ok, my bio:

I started DJing in 1995 after being inspired by going to the Winstons DJ competition in Leamington Spa. I bought a pair of Kam BDX-180s as a bundle from Orange complete with shit mixer, headphones, slipmats and a record bag! For the first two weeks, I honestly thought I was never going to be able to beat mix. But with a little assistance from Morcs about what a bar is (duh) things started to come together. I got my 1210s in '97 and continued upgrading with an Intimidation Apex (Slaughter Chamber!) and some Concorde DJ S styli over the next couple of years. Inspired by Morcs' rapacious appetite for scratching, I bought a Gemini EX26 mixer in 2002, and last year picked up some Concorde Elektros. I've dabbled with Traktor (too imprecise), and also started pissing about in Reason (nowhere near as good as Morcs). My most recent purchase is Rane Serato Scratch, after using it at Morcs' I just couldn't resist; it's an excellent investment.

Since I started I've played most types of dance music, concentrating on house, trance, progressive, d&b (jazzy, techy and most things inbetween), uk garage and a little hip hop. Currently I'm playing mainly progressive and breaks, although now I have Serato I can feel a liquid d&b mix coming on.

I've been recording mixes ever since I started and my efforts can be found on my website. If anyone would like a mix hosted, please get in touch and you can help me beef up my guest mixes section (I have 5gb space with no download limit, so it's no problem).

I've also played out a fair bit, including plenty of DJ competitions, often finishing near the top, but never winning. I've played clubs/pubs around the Leamington area and even spent a few months working for a cheesy DJ agency. When I was at Uni in Liverpool I had a weekly spot playing d&b at the Lyceum on Bold Street. Nowadays I only really play out on request, day job removes energy to scout for a residency, although I'm casually working on getting a spot at a local progressive house night. My last gig was in March at Liquid, just of Old Street in London for a mate's 30th birthday.

To bearboy, I got my Serato off Amazon.com, delivered to a friend who then brought it over for me. Came out @ £304.

but never winning.

Mind you, at least one of those competitions gave the winner a spot at a cheesy local nightclub, so it precluded DJs not playing a particular type of music from winning.

That looks nice but it's more money than I'd be willing to spend really. A cd deck for <£200 would be sweet. Anything worth getting for that price or should I look for second hand stuff?

I have a Pioneer CDJ 100S that I was going to put on ebay. They're going for £150-160 on there, and retail for £250. Want first shout? PM me :ph34r:

I started when I was 18( I'm 33 now) and spent a good few years doing house parties with my killer 2k system.

EV s200's

EV subs

C Audio amp

Yamaha eq

The obligatory 1210's

Vestax and or Citronic something or other mixer.

and thousands and thousands of tunes.

Eventually got bored of lugging the stuff around in my landrover and moved into clubs.

Had a regular saturday at the Wag in Soho and also did the gardening club.

Play house, r & b and jazz/funk/soul/rare groove and latin.

Then stopped the house altogether and just played the old stuff and was the main dj at the acid jazz events in Colchester Arts centre for about 5 years. Jazz - latin and funk only.

Then just got bored and stopped.

Now I only do special requests for the odd party really.

Mind you, at least one of those competitions gave the winner a spot at a cheesy local nightclub, so it precluded DJs not playing a particular type of music from winning.

Ta mate. :wub:

The crowd said I should have won that one.

I have a Pioneer CDJ 100S that I was going to put on ebay. They're going for £150-160 on there, and retail for £250. Want first shout? PM me  :wub:

Put me down as a maybe and I'll look into it slightly more when I have time this week, thanks.

Are you in a hurry to sell? As I have exams to do :P.

Ta mate.  :wacko:

The crowd said I should have won that one.

DJ comps are horrible - I only ever entered one and as I was getting ready a member of staff was showing me the mixer and turned up the monitor to full blast. and the monitor was right next to the right deck, so the needle kept skipping. not good when you've got a tightly planned set with three mixes in the first three minutes, i can tell you.

the bastard.

I started when I was 18( I'm 33 now) and spent a good few years doing house parties with my killer 2k system.

EV s200's

EV subs

C Audio amp

Yamaha eq

The obligatory 1210's

Vestax and or Citronic something or other mixer.

and thousands and thousands of tunes.

Eventually got bored of lugging the stuff around in my landrover and moved into clubs.

Had a regular saturday at the Wag in Soho and also did the gardening club.

Play house, r & b and jazz/funk/soul/rare groove and latin.

Then stopped the house altogether and just played the old stuff and was the main dj at the acid jazz events in Colchester Arts centre for about 5 years.  Jazz - latin and funk only.

Now I only do special requests for the odd party really.

Blimey. Respect is due. Gardening Club was (is?) a big club.

I've been djing for about the same amount of time as you and i've also stopped playing big gigs (I used to play in the hip hop rooms of drum and bass nights including Metalheadz at the Blue Note and Valve at Mass).

It gets a bit like work after a while and I wasn't enjoying it much but i'm a huge music fan so I still play out a lot at lowkey events I put on and regularly at a local pub (You don't have to worry about making people dance, its great).

I don't suppose you're thinking of selling any of your old records are you Olimar? :(