Game Of The Half-year

Zero

Although technically were not half way through the year yet, I was wondering what everyones favorite game so far this year is and why.

Mines Metal Gear Solid 3 so far (ive yet to play Resident Evil 4 yet, but will by the end of next week so my opinion may well change), great, fun atmospheric game with an excellent story and massess of replayability. Has lots of nice little touches (the R1 instances during cutscenes spring to mind), the cutscenes are scripted excellently and the boss fights are actually really fun, and in some cases, very tense (the sniper fight with The End, for example).

Resident Evil 4 ... because it's brilliant. The atmosphere, the graphics, the sound and rocksolid gameplay. Interesting story, superb bossfights, great pacing and setpieces, and skyhigh production values. Definitely the most cinematic experience ever in videogames and one of the best game I've ever played. Even more surprising considering I hated the earlier Resident Evil games with a passion.

Honourable mention goes to World of Warcraft. I played almost 500 hours since getting it in February, but I've now cancelled my subscription because I got bored with it. As a game it isn't even that hot, but as an experience it has been great.

Resident Evil 4 ... because it's brilliant. The atmosphere, the graphics, the sound and rocksolid gameplay. Interesting story, superb bossfights, great pacing and setpieces, and skyhigh production values. Definitely the most cinematic experience ever in videogames and one of the best game I've ever played. Even more surprising considering I hated the earlier Resident Evil games with a passion.

o/\o

What Nap said. :)

Honourable mention goes to World of Warcraft. I played almost 500 hours since getting it in February, but I've now cancelled my subscription because I got bored with it. As a game it isn't even that hot, but as an experience it has been great.

500 hours????

in 4 months?

Thats fucking crayzy...

Hmm. After the amazement I suffered with Half-Life 2, the last few months have suffered somewhat.

If I had to pick something, I'd probably have to say KOTOR2 on the PC. Despite a fucking awful beginning, and a horridly curtailed ending, the game itself was superb throughout, and the storyline suitably better than any of the movies really.

And then there's my PSP - whilst I think the two games I have for it are fab, it's really the sheer joy I get out of...erm...whipping out my PSP and...um...fiddling with it that does it for me. It's a wonderful thing.

However, the coming months look distinctly frightening on a ' £ ' point of view - E3 was a good one in my mind, and the sheer volume of stuff which appeals to me is phenomenal.

Yeah, Resident Evil 4 is a foregone conclusion. Easily in the top 5 (maybe 3) for this generation for me and - I suspect - lots of others too.

Honourable mentions must go to Oddworld: SW, Star Wars Lego, Meteos, Mercenaries and some others that I've probably forgotten. If I didn't have a PAL PS2 I'd probably be listing God Of War and Dynasty Warriors 5 as well.

Looking back it's been a pretty good 6 months.

Hard call. God of War was wicked, but quite flawed in places.

MGS3 was fucking brilliant, it annoyed me a bit at first, but that was due to me playing it badly, and not really getting how to play it for teh first few hours. After that, it really took off.

GT4 is also wicked, and will last me ages, but its nothing really wowing, beyond the graphics.

MGS3 for me then (ive not played RE4 yet - not played much at all this year)

400 hours actually.

Man, no wonder you got bored... I've been playing since the beta in December last year and I haven't even made half that yet. :D

Resident Evil 4 wins for me. It's so stupidly good that I feel sorry for any games that have to go up against it. :)