IGNORED

Xb360 Spectator Mode

descriptor

Well now.

Having watched Microsoft's E3 press conference, I can only assume their understanding of us is that we're desperate to log-on and pay the exorbitant subscription fees to watch Johnny American set an in-human lap time on PGR3. You see, our all-too-willing sponsors for the night have assured us it will be FUN, and their video inserts coercing me to GIVE THEM MY MONEY aren't TOO intrusive. Luckily, the omnipresence of the 360-branded headset and vidcam (to you, 60 quid the pair) ensure that not only can I hear the hollering and whooping that I have grown to love over the lifetime of the original Xbox, but I can actually now SEE the amazingly cool people responsible LIVE. And the fact that Johnny's little sister designed his logo, and that I can buy the image from her for 59 cents and attach to MY OWN VEHICLE, can surely only prolong our shared glory.

Give over you jumped-up fools, no-one's prepared to waste their valuable life-hours WATCHING rather than PLAYING.

I realise that gaming must change to accomodate the mass-market cash-cow, so that we'll reach our (hippy) ideal of all PLAYING and SHARING together, but, as Switch so aptly put it in The Matrix, "not like this".

So, to reiterate, I hope it dies on it's arse.

1 BILLION!!!!!!11!!!!1!! e.t.c.

Not familliar with Korean Starcraft games then?

There's a market for it, it's been done before just not here. People download the logs of big tournament CS games on PC and watch them through their own copy, switching between players and angles. Big Starcraft games in Korea are televised, and are national events.

Just because it doesn't interest you doesn't mean nobody else is going to want to. If they have big online tournaments and competitions like they claim they I can see many people tuning in for the finals on Halo and such.

I for one would like to have been able to see just how good some of the pros in the Ninja Gaiden Master Ninja Tournament were. Now, I apprently can.

Well, no, but not exactly MS's key demographic, eh?

I for one would like to have been able to see just how good some of the pros in the Ninja Gaiden Master Ninja Tournament were. 

Good point, me too. But how many others would be interested in hardcore/niche titles such as this?

And that Switch reference is totally unsuitable for the context.

I beg to differ. ;)

If you hop over to the online folder and check out the PES4 league and all the tournaments done on games ranging from Halo 2 via TopSpin to Forza, it's clear this function serves a purpose.

For example, the final match in the Rllmuk Worldcup on PES4? I'd like to see that. The deciding games in the different leagues? Yes please, especially if you're in it (the league that is). The final game of Topspin to decide the championship? Well, why not?

While watching 'randoms' play their games might be boring as fuck, I'd sure like to see the legends from the online folder taking on each other and be able to cheer and all that. I think it's an ace idea. While playing the PES4 league we've had many conversations about how cool it would be if others would be able to watch.

Live 360's not going to kill you, surely?

;) If I could be bothered I'd superimpose Cypher's features onto the J Allard pic above, and then perhaps you'd see things my way.

If you hop over to the online folder...

Ok, I've never been (and maybe that's half my problem) but while I can see that great delight would be had by a group of rllmukers getting together for a pro evo tourney of an evening, are you arguing that this happy scene would be repeated across the globe to such a scale that "the casual gamer" would regularly tune in? And spend money for the privilege? I just don't see it.

This is a very unique example isn't it though. If Xbox 360 has even one game that would be this popular with enough people to make all this crap worthwhile, I'd be very surprised. They say they're going for all the non-gamers (which from what I've seen is utter barefaced lies), but the kind of person that would watch a games and pay to do so almost certainly would already have a major interest in them.

Also, you wouldn't catch me paying for anything I could recreate myself relatively easilly. Are they counting on people browsing through the hundreds upon hundreds of pieces of crap that people have made on the off chance, just to find something cool and pay for the priviledge?

So yes, I hope the whole thing dies a cold, miserable, loss-making death.

I'd probably watch a couple of forum Halo 2 games, but not if they wants paying. You should be able to just open up your game to spectators if you want to, so people on your friend's list can join and watch your game.

The Microsoft one - in which Allard describes the Spectator feature.

Hmm, must've missed it. I suspect it wasn't the most hyped-about 360 feature in the games press, might have something to do with it.

:P  If I could be bothered I'd superimpose Cypher's features onto the J Allard pic above, and then perhaps you'd see things my way.

Come to think of it, they already have a resemblence. ;)

I am a awful gamer, i remember when i was a child and went to the arcades that i just needed ten minutes to run out of cash. So yes, i mastered the spectator mode. And i dont want it back.

But it would be good for advertising purposes.

It basically all depends on who you're watching. If it's just a bunch of no-marks arsing about then it's basically a no-no.

If, on the other hand, it's the worlds best duking it out I think people may pay for that. I've never played VF Evo whatever, but I'd still like to see the best in the world go toe to toe.

Whether 'casual' gamers would is another matter, although, would they still be casual if they had an xbox2 live account? I guess it's going to depend rather heavily upon the user demographic and player skill level.

I assume the ability to watch games would be something that comes with Xbox Live Silver accounts, so nobody would have to pay anything. Microsoft already get money from it from the advertising, they don't need the spectators to pay.

I think a lot of people have sort of missed the point, it's not about watching random games and paying for it, it's about having tournaments and making online gaming a spectator sport.

Whats your favorite game on Live? Halo? Street Fighter? Rainbow Six? TopSpin?

Now imagine they host contest on it, wouldn't you sign up, just for the crack? You dont need to do anything, just add your gamertag to a list over live and play some games. Then you get your arsed kicked about halfway through, as the people who are playing casually and the people who are taking it seriously start to seperate.

Wouldn't you be curious see the very best people in the world on your favorite game duking it out? You're sat there thinking 'fucking hell, we didn't stand a chance, could learn a thing or two off them.' You can always drop out if its shit or boring, but just to tune in and have a look?

I think it's got potential. It's nto going to take over SkySports or anything, and I'm certainly not going to spend hours watching online matches, but I'm happy to watch an occasional big match between two 'pros' on a game I'm interested in, especially if theres money involved. Because money drives everyone crazy.

I practically pissed myself when reading the comment in this month's Edge Xbox article - about 'Mom' scanning a picture of her face in so she could 'watch' her son take part in a Tony Hawk's skate competition or whatever - as if Mums have got nothing better to do, or even give a shit!

The way I see it, it's like owning a Land Rover or a camera phone. You don't HAVE to go off road or take poor quality photos, but it's nice to have that choice. That's what things like this boil down to - if you want to watch people play then hey, provision has been made for you to do so. But if you don't want to watch people, you're not forced to. More choice is always a good thing.

The way I see it, it's like owning a Land Rover or a camera phone. You don't HAVE to go off road or take poor quality photos, but it's nice to have that choice. That's what things like this boil down to - if you want to watch people play then hey, provision has been made for you to do so. But if you don't want to watch people, you're not forced to. More choice is always a good thing.

totally agree. im not going to get all pissed off about this new shit if it doesnt interest me, i simply wont use it. aslong as it doesnt effect other areas of the system (lag?), then the more choices available to gamers the better. hell, someone might even sell something for $0.60 who knows! :wub:

I really cant see this taking off, anyone who subscribes to Xbox live does so to play games, not watch them.

Also, everyone who is interested in Xbox live will have already subscribed by the release of Halo 2 and by adding in such useless (in my opinion) options as creating outfits for your characters or being able to spectate in matches or download replays and then charging players to use those options, will not encourage any new customers to subscribe to live.

Frankly I reckon the ability to watch games, design clothes for your characters and whatnot, will end up a wasted idea like XML.

I'd be more intrested in more tracking the stats of games played and displaying them on the internet, ala what Bungie do with Halo 2's stat tracking on their website.

I really cant see this taking off, anyone who subscribes to Xbox live does so to play games, not watch them.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've downloaded countless PGR2 ghosts, mainly just to see how someone did a lap THAT fast, but sometimes to improve the way I play the game just by watching someone else drive.

I have also downloaded 'demo' files of big Quake 3 matches when I used to be a big player of it on the PC a couple of years back, it can be fun watching people so good at a game you love, although I understand not everyone would enjoy it, that doesn't mean a feature other might enjoy should be ridiculed.

I would also second the notion that being able to 'tune-in' to the rllmuk PES league and watch other people would be ace, even better if you can watch big finals like what EA did with the Xbox Live FIFA World Cup competition.

As some people who I play on Live with may know, me and six other mates competed in a world-wide Rainbow Six 3 league/tournament in the back end of 2003/early 2004, after about 60 or 70 games we qualified in the top 32 for a place in the knockout stages, this was out of 15,000 plus teams. We eventually got knocked out in the quarter-finals to the favourates but I would have loved to have seen the semies and the final, even if no-one else was interested in it.

Basically it's all down to choice. If you have to pay ANYTHING to watch other people play you can take all what I've just said away :P

I don't know about anyone else, but I've downloaded countless PGR2 ghosts, mainly just to see how someone did a lap THAT fast, but sometimes to improve the way I play the game just by watching someone else drive.

I have also downloaded 'demo' files of big Quake 3 matches when I used to be a big player of it on the PC a couple of years back, it can be fun watching people so good at a game you love, although I understand not everyone would enjoy it, that doesn't mean a feature other might enjoy should be ridiculed.

I would also second the notion that being able to 'tune-in' to the rllmuk PES league and watch other people would be ace, even better if you can watch big finals like what EA did with the Xbox Live FIFA World Cup competition.

As some people who I play on Live with may know, me and six other mates competed in a world-wide Rainbow Six 3 league/tournament in the back end of 2003/early 2004, after about 60 or 70 games we qualified in the top 32 for a place in the knockout stages, this was out of 15,000 plus teams. We eventually got knocked out in the quarter-finals to the favourates but I would have loved to have seen the semies and the final, even if no-one else was interested in it.

Basically it's all down to choice. If you have to pay ANYTHING to watch other people play you can take all what I've just said away :P

Indeed. How many people who play Halo/Halo 2 have downloaded other peoples movies of them playing? Sort of the same thing.