Talent Point Distribution

Graham

So, I've just (relatively) started a Hunter alt. Am currently lvl14 and have attributed first 5 talent points to 'Improved Aspect of the Hawk'. Seemed like the best place to start.

But I'm unsure where to concentrate the rest of my talent points. I like the idea of my pet being useful in attack (beastmastery), but then that seems to be at the expense of my being strong in attack (marksmanship and survival).

Are there any high level hunters here who could outline their thoughts on the Hunter talent tree in PvP and PvE, and maybe some words about the Hunter spec they settled upon? I've been over to thottbot to see what the hunters there have to say but it's all stats and percentages and I kind of get lost in the figures, I get a mental block and can't really see clearly the benefit of 3% increase in this, that or the other - so am looking for some straight forward thoughts of what these talents do in the real (virtual) world of WoW.

Me:

http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?79032

My Owl, bless him, as he was a starting level 9, can't be trained that much, so I've spent a lot of points buffing him. Quite like the look of Spirit Bond too. Will get that eventually. I do quite a lot of soloing, so he's my tank and general guard. Marksmanship is what I'll go back to when I'm done buffing Kaspar, but I do plenty damage already, and the high level stuff I'm only viewing as a nicety rather than an essential. The only thing I like the look of in Survival is the improved disengage, but I'm not spending points to get up there. Probably more a PvE build. Bizarrely I managed to beat up my Rogue mate, he kept targetting the bird, which was nice. I'd've thought that once he got in close I'd be mincemeat. I don't duel or PvP enough to know if my build is good for that. The only problem I have is that the frequency I hit criticals at and general damage I do compared to my pet means that beasties have a tendency to ignore him and attack me, but they're down to half health and poisoned, and disengage *usually* works, even if I have to use it twice heh. I would point out my high spirit buff, so I regenerate mana super quick. Don't generally need to drink any of my moonberry juice even if I am grinding like a madman.

When I get to Winterspring I'm getting me a white owl, they look ace.

The main tree for the hunter is marksmanship. Then survival and then Beast Mastery.

Apart from the first 2 talents in beast mastery (improved aspect of the hawk and endurance training) it's probably best to ignore it all together as most of the talents are pretty trivial.

Survival has a few useful talents such as improved wing clip and a couple of the improved trap talents. But as you want to try to avoid melee combat as much as possible, most other talents arent really needed, although I guess it never hurts to be able to hit with your swords more often when things get a bit sticky.

But marksmanship is where all of the good stuff is. Aimed shot, scatter shot, improved concussive shot (chance to stun), improved chance at a critical, improved range, mana effiency and so on..

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense. I was interupted a few times while writing it out :(

That's what I thought intially. I found that making my marksmanship improved, coupled with massive agility, meant that things were ignoring my pet and coming to get me instead. Might be due to my choice of pet though... Somewhat different story with a high level Growl. I intend to avoid melee completely, hence not spending any points in Survival. Agreed I could have stuff to improve my traps, maybe I should try using them more...

That's what I thought intially.  I found that making my marksmanship improved, coupled with massive agility, meant that things were ignoring my pet and coming to get me instead.  Might be due to my choice of pet though...  Somewhat different story with a high level Growl.  I intend to avoid melee completely, hence not spending any points in Survival.  Agreed I could have stuff to improve my traps, maybe I should try using them more...

I know hunters that Can't have too much agi or crit % or they pull aggro from the main tank. Our main tank is the Best i've ever worked with, but it's getting to the point where even her amazing abilities can't keep aggro off us damage dealers :( Yay!

*grins* That sounds like me. It just means we're doing our job too well eh? I'm even starting to get the multishot to work to my advantage. It's all them groups of gnomes in Gnomeregan that forced me to learn that. Damn things.

Yep, hunters who go full out agility usually end up taking agro from the tank. Especially when the tank is struggling to keep all of the agro on him anyway.

I personally went for Stamina from the start and have more recently been getting hold of armor with decent sta AND agility bonuses. So at level 49 I currently have just over 3000 hp which I think I can safely say is a fair amount.

So I end up doing slightly less damage, but my pet can tank and keep agro off me pretty much all the time, yet when I do get agro I am usually able to kill most mobs at my level with just my swords :(

I used to have pretty much all my points in Beast Mastery but re-speced recently as I realised that a bit like having all your eggs in one (pretty fragile) basket. My pet gets taken out quick in PvP usually and with it goes all my talent points. I'd rather be able to mix it up a bit myself and not rely too heavily on my pet (who, at the end of the day, is expendable). Anyways, this is my build so far, I don't claim it to be perfect by any means but it's doing me well so far:

Level 41

Marksmanship (18)

Improved Concussive Shot 5/5

Improved Hunters Mark 5/5

Lethal Shots 5/5

Aimed Shot (invaluable) 1/1

Mortal Shots 2/5

Survival (14)

Precision 5/5

Lightning Reflexes 3/3

Improved Wing Clip 5/5

Deterrence 1/1