Jump to content

Winning Eleven 9


ryanski
 Share

Recommended Posts

Winning Eleven 9 Announced

Latest entry to hit Japan in just a couple of months, complete with Online play.

by Anoop Gantayat

June 8, 2005 - First details on Winning Eleven 9, the next entry in Konami's world-beating soccer series, have surfaced in Japan. The game is scheduled for Japanese release on August 4, carrying a price tag of 7,329 yen.

Konami will be once again using Zico, the popular coach of the Japanese national team, as the spokesperson for the game, but he won't be alone this time. Joining him will be Serie A midfielder Junsuke Nakamura. This is the first time Konami has made use of two spokespersons for its premier sports title.

As expected, we can look forward to a number of improvements for the new year. Two new positions, Wing Back and Second Top have been added to the game. You can also look forward to improved character animation, with basic motions having been recaptured. The game also adds play in snowy conditions, with the players' breath being visible in the cold.

All your favorite modes seem to be back, including an improved Master League with more precise control over player growth. New to the game is the "Nippon Challenge Go for 2006" mode in which players lead the Japanese national team towards qualification for the coming World Cup. This mode will have additional gameplay options not found in the other modes of play.

Those who got a taste for Online play with the Japan-only Winning Eleven 8: Live Ware Evolution will be pleased to learn that Online play is a standard feature in Winning Eleven 9. Konami has refined its network engine to allow for better play and added functionality. You'll now be able to use Master League teams in competition.

While Live Ware Evolution never saw stateside release, we think Winning Eleven 9 will have a different fate, at last giving gamers outside of Japan a chance at Online Winning Eleven.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More of the same with little else, basically.

It's depressing to say, but did you really expect anything different?

Konami are at the stage where they don't have to do anything else. They've already got the 'hardcore' (for want of a better word), and they know we're not going anywhere.

They also know that no matter how much they improve the gameplay, they'll only make inroads into Fifa's market share by getting the associated rights and producing a slicker package (ie outdoing EA at their own game, which would be both costly and risky). It's sad to say, but until a rival series comes out of nowhere (or EA get their arses into gear), KCET will carry on exactly as they have been doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Despite the faults with the gameplay + net code, it's still the best game on xbox live. So if they improve the gameplay + net code for pro evo 5, well I'm not gonna criticise too much cos nothing can touch it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the best game on xbox live

is Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Syuurelly.

But seriously. Shouldn't we demand more? Are you really happy with what we have? I mean, it's a good game, but don't you think we might have expected more?

We're heading for the fifth iteration of the game in this generation (let's not get into how many Winning Elevens there have been aswell), and while it has undoubtedly improved with every successive version, every single time there have been a handful of flaws which render the whole experience unnecessarily frustrating. I just think it's about time they produced something that isn't just 'last year's version plus-a-bit'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd also be happy with a decent connection and little 'tweaks' to the online mode.

Manual switching, proper 'stock' support and the ability to skip replay scenes are top of my list atm.

Well, yeah, but they're actually things that it's pretty poor haven't been sorted out within this version. I'd be pretty unimpressed if 'online manual switching' were billed as a selling point of PES5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I want proper passing, decent keepers, more than 8 directions and better shooting.

That's what I mean about them needing to do more. Full analogue control and a revamped passing system would be a great place to start.

Actually, I think the most important thing they could do is give the players brains. I'm so bored of defenders inexplicably running away from forwards, midfielders passing to players off the side of the pitch or in offside positions because they've got no knowledge of the layout of the playing area, and referees continually mis-interpreting the advantage rule.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't Goaty speak to someone 'in the know' about a Live version of the RLLMUK league? You know, so you don't have to organise it yourself. That would work a treat. Online league tables, and the like would be brilliant.

Also doing it this way would mean that things like top scorers could be recorded, and loads of other stats thinking about it.

That would be ace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the online version work very well I am going to get myself a nice white Jap PS2 for it.

Wouldn't playing on an import ps2 mean you could not play anyone apart from those also with an import ps2 or are in fact in Japan?

I would dread to think what the lag would be like for that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People talk about wanting the players to be smarter, but I worry that if the players are too smart then games could end up 10-10, + that would spoil the realism. Also, the dumb mistakes, well real players make dumb mistakes, + they are not limited to 1 per match. Referees make mistakes, linesmen etc etc. If the players do everything you mean them to do + the ref always gets it right, I don't see that making for a better game.

Give me a smooth online mode where I can go into optimatch at any time of day knowing I can find a good game + I'll be happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

online version needs updating tho i dont know how it would work but maybe if you could set up leagues and play frendlies instead of effecting your stats. speaking of stats they should be more detailed like your top goal scorer and favourd team with acctual real points system like 3 points for a win goals for and goals against.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

speaking of stats they should be more detailed like your top goal scorer and favourd team

The rankings would make interesting reading: 90% of random people I play use Inter, while the other 10% use Arsenal.

I tell you what they should do: have a fucking stat for how often you play at home compared to away, so when you're looking for a game you can boycott all the people who only play at home. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I hosted a random game: life's too short to sit around for 10 minutes on the hosting screen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The rankings would make interesting reading: 90% of random people I play use Inter, while the other 10% use Arsenal.

I tell you what they should do: have a fucking stat for how often you play at home compared to away, so when you're looking for a game you can boycott all the people who only play at home.  Honestly, I can't remember the last time I hosted a random game: life's too short to sit around for 10 minutes on the hosting screen.

If their network code is much improved like they say it is, it won't matter who hosts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If their network code is much improved like they say it is, it won't matter who hosts.

I was just bitching about PES4 generally, rather than about things I'd like to see in PES5. It was more of a thing I'd like to see in PES4, since the vast majority of the random community are tools.

Having said that, if PES5 plays online with no lag for either player, I'll cut off one of my testicles, fry it up with some chilli and beansprouts, and eat it myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Despite the faults with the gameplay + net code, it's still the best game on xbox live. So if they improve the gameplay + net code for pro evo 5, well I'm not gonna criticise too much cos nothing can touch it.

If by 'best' you mean 'worst' then I agree totally :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They just need to eradicate the lag. I never played it but wasn't Fifa pretty much lag free.

Oh, and go back to proper throw ins, from behind the thrower. It's shambolic how it is at the moment.

And manual switching.

That'll do for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're not gonna see a revolution to the gameplay this late in the ps2's life. I'd imagine they will bring in full analogue control on the PS3. That alone would force them to rethink the whole control scheme and make it an entirely different game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.