A Few Dreamcast Questions

ianwuk

I just bought a DC (which was faulty) but thanks to Mr Pickle I have a working unit now. Anyway, I have a few questions for those who own a Dreamcast regarding certain games and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I have Sega Rally 2 and Tokyo Highway Challenge in my collection. By default they run in 50hz but I am sure I remember that with a few button presses at the right time (for each game) you could get it to run in 60hz, does anyone know how?

I also have Quake III Arena but I cannot remember how to invert the aiming as I struggle with it at the default setting. Can it be altered? There is a command called Invert mouse but that does nothing as I have no mouse.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for that moosegrinder, I will try that out.

Just need to figure out how to get Sega Rally 2 and Tokyo Highway Challenge in 60hz now, I remember it can be done as it was printed in Official Dreamcast Magazine. I have looked at a few websites (such as GameFAQS) and it is not listed how to do it.

PAL Sega Rally 2 is 50hz only. There is a 60fps cheat but that is not the same as 60hz and still doesn't run the same kind of speed the NTSC one does. I have a feeling it is VGA compatible though, the PAL version, so you can get your 60hz there... I don't have a PAL copy to check.

Tokyo Highway Challenge is a bit odd; I think when you race, it goes 60hz and then stays there*. That's VGA compatible too, even though the game will tell you it isn't :lol:

* might be #2 I'm thinking of.

PAL Sega Rally 2 is 50hz only.  There is a 60fps cheat but that is not the same as 60hz and still doesn't run the same kind of speed the NTSC one does.  I have a feeling it is VGA compatible though, the PAL version, so you can get your 60hz there... I don't have a PAL copy to check.

Tokyo Highway Challenge is a bit odd; I think when you race, it goes 60hz and then stays there*.  That's VGA compatible too, even though the game will tell you it isn't :unsure:

* might be #2 I'm thinking of.

THC (PAL) won`t autoboot in VGA, but will work if you use the DC-X disc

I'm sure I read in an issue of Official Dreamcast Magazine that there was a button combination to be pressed before a race started that forced it into 60hz, I have searched a few sites but have not found anything.

Does anyone have any old issues of ODM at all to check? I think it'd be in one of the first ones out, I got the issue with Tomb Raider the Last Revelation when I bought my first Dreamcast, I think it was in that or one after.

Many thanks to everyone for helping me.

I swear I had it running full-screen, that is what I want to do.

the 60fps cheat only works on the Japanese version anyway.

it removes trackside details but removes the game's big flaw - the arse framerate.

if you want 60*HERTZ* and fullscreen on the PAL version you'll have to run it on VGA. which looks lovely.

Not quite 100% fluid but it is pretty close. It's the only way to play it if you're competing in time trials and it is a lot more playable.

How much trackside detail? Pretty much everything "on track", like the starting booth, people and things. You're left with just the basic level then. I can grab some screenshots if anybody is desperate.

edit: I have a CD full of videos too, some from the DC game running with the cheat enabled.

I remember being down my local Branch of EB on the DC launch date. I'd reserved the machine along with Powerstone, Toy Commander, Sonic and of course Sega Rally 2.

After the stunning conversion of the first on the Saturn I was expecting this to be just as good. How wrong I was.

I am still amazed to this day how this saw a release in its current state. The wildly varying frame rates are just laughable, and it still annoys me to this day to think that I bought this at full price.

Rob

At least you bought Toy Commander to make up for it. It took me ages to get around to picking that up, dismissed as a "teh kiddie". It's one of the best games on the system!

I command Szczep or whatever his name is to right a gushing article on the game :)

I have to admit, I used to have the Japanese version of Sega Rally 2 and so playing the PAL version has come as something of a shock, especially the drop in frame-rate which has been mentioned.

I could have sworn I got Tokyo Highway Challenge in full-screen though.

Playing the PC version of Sega Rally 2 and then the Dreamcast PAL version of the same game really shows the difference. The PC version looks a lot better. The cheat for the PAL version improves things slightly but not by much, but hey, it's Sega Rally 2!

Sega Rally 2 was in development for the DC and the PC. TWO seperate versions. The DC version wasnt coming up to scratch so it was canned and instead the pc version ported over in something like 4 months. thats why it starts up with the windows CE logo.

And because windows CE bogged down the system a bit it meant the dreamcast version was no where near as good as the arcade version, that that i found that to be too good anyways.

The game play was fairly authentic though, just the graphics weren't up to scratch. Windows CE hasn't much to do with the port, it doesn't bog the system down. It's mostly there for the Internet operability.

Another month and it would have been perfect.