IGNORED

Jet Set Radio Future

Meh

... it's just fucking terrible after Chapter 3, innit? Really, painfully fucking poor. The level designs, the camera becoming more and more of a pain, the absolutely stupidly time-consuming crap like grinding forever to reach a stupid robot that randomly MIGHT hit you with a bomb, the music not being as good as the first game... GAH.

I know I'm years out of date on this, but it really makes me angry. Unlike the first, which I adored from start to finish.

IDGI :)

In my opinion both the original and future are just really unplayable messes. I know there is a lot of love for both here and I'm often tempted back by the style (music and graphics) but I'm always bitterly dissappointed.

I find it very hard to control (I realise its supposed to be on rollerblades) and its not helped by a terrible camera. Future also suffered from a hideous map.

Mmaybe its just not for me. Or maybe its really overrated rubbish. Ho hum.

In my opinion both the original and future are just really unplayable messes.  I know there is a lot of love for both here and I'm often tempted back by the style (music and graphics) but I'm always bitterly dissappointed.

I find it very hard to control (I realise its supposed to be on rollerblades) and its not helped by a terrible camera.  Future also suffered from a hideous map.

Mmaybe its just not for me.  Or maybe its really overrated rubbish.  Ho hum.

You are this: rubbish.

I know lets use the spray button as a camera center button too, that wont be annoying when you go up to a tag and then the camera flicks round your entire character.

Quite enjoyed the first, style over substance all the way however

You could argue the same point with ICO. But I thought that both (the original) Jetset and ICO played beautifully.

I completed everything on the original DC game.

I have both, and enjoyed both, but have only completed JSR Future. I can't explain why, but I could hardly stop playing the XBox version. I loved it, with my only complaint being the shit map.

Great post, with such great support like this I can't believe the Dreamcast flopped (horribly).

But you keep believing, I'm sure it'll be back on our shelves any day now.....

That's an amazing leap of logic there. :)

---

I criticise your labelling of it as "overrated rubbish", as the game does have it's fans, believe it or not.

It's a pretty fun game. The gameplay is nothing special, but it's functional enough. However, with a style that oozes the best of a massively dismissed theme in today's games and kid's TV (Hip-hop/Bboy/Graffiti etc) it just gels so well.

Hell, Sega could even pull in the talents of Beastie Boys Mike D and Ad Rock for a sequel, and a fair amount of muscle in the first, so I'm the last to say (or hear) anything against it's radical stylising.

Crikey, it's been a while Hitch, but from memory are you talking about the level with a massive chimney in? I know that one took me a while to locate as from the map it looks like it's underground but is in fact at the top of the Chimney. It's tricky to spray because as soon as you get to the top you sommersault off the top, but keep your finger spraying as you get to the top and you'll do it iirc.

Does that help? :D

Did you play the original? How do you think they compare?

I think it was better stylistically and the level design was tighter but it wasn't as enjoyable. The control system essentially meant you could never loose control and wizz around the enviroments as you should be able to. Too stop/start in its nature, and strangely plodding for a Sega game.

I loved JSRF, not unquestionably - some of it was pretty dificult to find your way round, there were camera issues and sometimes the controls weren't really up to the tasks set but most of these problems were offset by the lack of time limits and the relaxed pace of the thing.

I had a lot of fun with it, more so than with a lot of games with less *problems* (if that makes sense)

if a sequel appears on any of the next gen formats then that would be a system seller for me.

Yeah, the relaxed pace of JSRF was great, it encouraged you to really explore the environments and see just where they had hidden the spray points and souls. I also think it was right simplify spraying down to a single button press. Much as the spraying action in JSR was a good idea it never quite jelled with the rest of the game.

Oh, and Kibogaoka Hill... I think there was a hidden airshaft or tunnel or something like that, drop off the wires and search the roofs.

... it's just fucking terrible after Chapter 3, innit? Really, painfully fucking poor. The level designs, the camera becoming more and more of a pain, the absolutely stupidly time-consuming crap like grinding forever to reach a stupid robot that randomly MIGHT hit you with a bomb, the music not being as good as the first game... GAH.

I know I'm years out of date on this, but it really makes me angry. Unlike the first, which I adored from start to finish.

IDGI  :D

I'm in entire agreement with you.

Jet Set Radio = a thing of beauty

Jet Set Radio Future = ruined

I absolutely loved JSR:F, the soundtrack in particular was great.

Fargal: I'm heading home from uni in a few weeks and have a spare sega gt/JSR:F disc if you want it (no charge), let me know :angry:

You're immensely kind, but I don't even have an X-Box. :(

I think we can all agree that the end boss is the worst thing in gaming EVER! Stupid random rails, with only one complex route that takes you up to the boss. Who will no doubt push you off when you spray him each and every time. Terrible terrible boss.

the music sadly isnt up there and i think some of the large levels are simply a bit too large. I liked the smaller bus stop area compared to futures larger one. It just felt nicer, more homely and happier. I gave up on jsr on one of the later levels where there was a tight time limite, stupid gun ships that killed you quickly and spray areas hidden above and below the level EVERYWHERE!

I still love the intro to JSRF though. Understand...Understand...Understand THE concept...THE Concept of LOVE!

I think we can all agree that the end boss is the worst thing in gaming EVER! Stupid random rails, with only one complex route that takes you up to the boss. Who will no doubt push you off when you spray him each and every time. Terrible terrible boss.

Yeah, the boss was pretty awful, not *nearly* as bad as the one in Otogi though.

I really think that its about time that they banned end of game bosses who hide in voids.

JSR and JSRF are very different games - they play very differently despite the obvious stylistic similarities.

Personally, I really enjoyed JSRF. Fun game. Hopefully Sega will return to this franchise sometime.