IGNORED

Jet Set Radio Future

Meh

The small bugs don't ruin it at all, and my initial reaction to somebody who's stuck on a game and says it's not very good is only saying it because he's crap on it. I've got a friend who's a gamer and he plays to win on every game - and if he doesn't then he claims it's a shit game.

And I'm pretty sure you're not forced to go beck to the bottom, there's definitely a way of getting past that.

Nobody ever said that a Masterpiece has to be perfect.

I'm not stuck on the game per se, out of interest, to allay any fears that that may be my problem. As to this particular section, I just find it annoying in and of itself, not as a result of my playing it 'wrong'.

Don't get me wrong, Johnny Game-Defender (I made you a snazzy nickname, lol) - I like the game, and have no intention of just not playing it anymore. But masterpiece? Not at all.

My 'load of wank' comment wasn't true, I still think that the niggling problems with the game are enough to undo its great potential. Sorry.

Hang on, I don't have to use the sodding spinny thing!?!

So some advice please gang - where do I go on the sodding Pharoah district thing? Been down in the cage underneath...

It's been a while since I played Future, and I was stuck on that bit for ages too,

but if I recall correctly there are two places nearer the entrance to the level than the spinny thing/safety net (i.e. before or near the little pyramid thing) where you can grind to buildings on the left and the right.

From there a series of fairly obvious ramp-jumps and drainpipe grinds should get you across the rooftops to where you need to go.

I can't find the last spray on the market level with the dragon slide thing in the middle. I can SEE it on the map, but not "in-game" and certainly can't get to it...

I bet it's the same one I got stuck on, before giving up about 6 months ago.

It's been a while since I played Future, and I was stuck on that bit for ages too,

but if I recall correctly there are two places nearer the entrance to the level than the spinny thing/safety net (i.e. before or near the little pyramid thing) where you can grind to buildings on the left and the right.

From there a series of fairly obvious ramp-jumps and drainpipe grinds should get you across the rooftops to where you need to go.

I just did this bit the other day (am on the next section part, another place the mummy folk hang out) - and yeah, it's right where you first enter the place (ie. from the road!), there are the blue/green grind things - turn round and face the way you came (the road).

Grind up either one and jump at the right time for jumpy grindy and eventually sprayey action. I actually quite enjoyed that section, if I had used the spinny thing yet I would've been more than annoyed though.

I may have said this earlier in the thread, but I'm not sure.

I could never get into this, as it seemed almost too relaxing - I liked the time constraints of the original as made the levels more frantic/enjoyable to look around.

Andof course the graffiiti was actually fun to spray, rather than just pressing one button like you do here.

I may have said this earlier in the thread, but I'm not sure.

I could never get into this, as it seemed almost too relaxing - I liked the time constraints of the original as made the levels more frantic/enjoyable to look around.

Andof course the graffiiti was actually fun to spray, rather than just pressing one button like you do here.

I never played the original - how did the graf work in that then?

Also I suck at making my own designs, I thought that might liven it up a bit - in fact, the only upshoot is it now says "Dick" all over the place, with a picture to accompany. Hurrah for DIY!

You twirl the stick around in half-circles.

JSR on the Dreamcast is 10000x better. Get it.

Yeppers.

You do motions with the analogue stick, and a combination of different button presses. Feels much more fluid than just standing and pressing A or whatever, and then watching a spraying animation.

Yeppers.

You do motions with the analogue stick, and a combination of different button presses. Feels much more fluid than just standing and pressing A or whatever, and then watching a spraying animation.

Sounds good - and I do conveniently have a dreamcast that I picked up from Game because it was cheap, but have no good games to play on it. I've probably used it in total for about 3 hours, which were the day I got it with Chu Chu Rocket.

Gotta get rid of my ten-ish other games (all terrible :|) and then hopefully find some cash to get good Dreamcast stuff I haven't played, obvious things are Shenmue and this.

5 pages of differing opinions provided you with no insight into why it might be shit in some people's eyes?

No proper insights, no.

I enjoyed JSRF a hell of a lot, even when I didn't progress at all. Half the time I'd just grind around the place taking in the sights and sounds and spraying the odd bit of graffiti. I found searching for those hidden bits of graffiti really engaging, some of them were great spatial puzzles in their own right. The combat was a matter of persistance over skill but then again the game's not about combat, I felt the real challenge there was keeping the flow of movement going when attacking enemies. It's got some fantastic level design, among the best I've seen this gen and I've not even mentioned the soundtrack and graphics yet.

The only problem I had with it was the occasional lack of objective pointers and poor scripting in places.

Either you struggled with it a hell of a lot more than I did or we have very different opinions about the maps in the game.

You complained about the camera - the camera's a bit awkward but it didn't bother me too much, I got used to manouvering the camera mid grind or mid jump. As for the maps, the only maps with rubbish design were the ones with the train and the final boss imo.

As for your comments about shit level design, I still don't know what you're getting at exactly.

No proper insights, no.

I enjoyed JSRF a hell of a lot, even when I didn't progress at all. Half the time I'd just grind around the place taking in the sights and sounds and spraying the odd bit of graffiti. I found searching for those hidden bits of graffiti really engaging, some of them were great spatial puzzles in their own right. The combat was a matter of persistance over skill but then again the game's not about combat, I felt the real challenge there was keeping the flow of movement going when attacking enemies. It's got some fantastic level design, among the best I've seen this gen and I've not even mentioned the soundtrack and graphics yet.

The only problem I had with it was the occasional lack of objective pointers and poor scripting in places.

Either you struggled with it a hell of a lot more than I did or we have very different opinions about the maps in the game.

You complained about the camera - the camera's a bit awkward but it didn't bother me too much, I got used to manouvering the camera mid grind or mid jump. As for the maps, the only maps with rubbish design were the ones with the train and the final boss imo.

As for your comments about shit level design, I still don't know what you're getting at exactly.

You're praising it way, way too much. It's a bit of a travesty, IMO, and I simply don't understand the love people have for what is, esssentially, a poor sequel.

OPINIONS, eh? Hate 'em...

You're praising it way, way too much. It's a bit of a travesty, IMO, and I simply don't understand the love people have for what is, esssentially, a poor sequel.

I feel a tune coming on... "Understand understand, the concept of love!"

Opinions? yep. :)

No where near as good as the the first.

Gets really fucking boring when you have to retread every frigging level tagging over a bizillion bits of graffiti that always have one fucking bit in a really annoying bit that you have to spend about 4 hours fucking round to find the way up to it. WHY!? It's already really long, it didn't need padding out with arse like that.

The music is better IMO than the first, except the dodgy hip hop.

In short, play if you have shit loads of free time.

The sewer levels are indeed rather infuriating but the game is still very good, I think Gun Valkyrie is very similar to JSRF in the sense that it is a good game (technically) but no-one ever really liked it, as for me, I loved it, even though I got stuck on one level and never beat it.

I am still after the JSRF soundtrack, where can I get it from?

Gets really fucking boring when you have to retread every frigging level tagging over a bizillion bits of graffiti that always have one fucking bit in a really annoying bit that you have to spend about 4 hours fucking round to find the way up to it. WHY!? It's already really long, it didn't need padding out with arse like that.

In short, play if you have shit loads of free time.

It probably was a bit too much padded out, yeah, it's like the developers really wanted you to take in every last polygon of their level design.

There's one bit in the sewers where you have to grind vertically for what seems like forever to get some graffiti in a sort of tower. Took me like, ages to do it but it was dead satisfying when I finally managed it. The game is full of "I have to go all the way up there!?!" moments though and that's one of the things I loved about it.

It took a while, but it's not the sort of game that I'd play for more than an hour though, it took me like 2-3 months of 1 hour sessions to finish it, much better that way.

The sewer levels are indeed rather infuriating but the game is still very good, I think Gun Valkyrie is very similar to JSRF in the sense that it is a good game (technically) but no-one ever really liked it, as for me, I loved it, even though I got stuck on one level and never beat it.

I am still after the JSRF soundtrack, where can I get it from?

Play Asia still sell it. Probably the cheapest place for it also.

It probably was a bit too much padded out, yeah, it's like the developers really wanted you to take in every last polygon of their level design.

There's one bit in the sewers where you have to grind vertically for what seems like forever to get some graffiti in a sort of tower. Took me like, ages to do it but it was dead satisfying when I finally managed it. The game is full of "I have to go all the way up there!?!" moments though and that's one of the things I loved about it.

It took a while, but it's not the sort of game that I'd play for more than an hour though, it took me like 2-3 months of 1 hour sessions to finish it, much better that way.

I remember that bit, I actually quite enjoyed the sewers as a whole though. What made me give it up was later. I can't remember the exact instant but its after you have practically the whole map opened up and something happens that every single area has been retagged by some gang, possibly the monster ones gone all mental though I'm not sure, and you have to literally go round the same maps you've just done doing nothing but tagging and there are some real cunts of graffiti to reach. I spent about three 2-3 hour sessions in which I got a couple of sections cleared in one go then tried a couple more, could'nt reach a bit, thought I'd leave it for later and try some others, got the same result from the new ones then just thought "fuck this, I could be playing something else".

It's possible that if I'd had more time I'd have finished it and loved it, its the sort of game I'd have loved when I was a student and had shit loads of free time but nowadays a games got to keep progressing to hold my interest or at least be repetitious and fun rather than just repetitious and frustrating to keep me playing.

It's still worth checking out if you havn't though, beautifully presented and so so cool.

• 1 month later...

I only played the Japanese version of the DC game (as opposed to PAL or USA)... am I missing out on anything major? Borrowed a UK copy, but never got too far. They ramped up the difficulty. Also, didn't the USA game have crappy American thrash metal put on its soundtrack?

I have completed the JPN DC and UK Xbox versions, and loved both. My single gripe with the Xbox game, is they removed the skitching! :unsure:

• 1 year later...

Started playing through JSRF again on my 360 and I've come to a problem that might be with the emulation, or it might be with the game. I'm trying to do the 13 platforms of Shibuya Terminal street challenge. I've done it successfully twice now without touching the same roof more than once, and one of those times I never stopped moving the whole time, and obviously not touching the ground. Was there a problem with this on the Xbox or have I found a glitch (other than the street names flickering on the map that is).

EDIT: 7th time's the charm, lol. Now, new section here I come :(

ah, this was great :blink: Thought this was almost as good as jsr, but I gave up after the bit where your five year old nephew deletes your save file, so you tell him "no that's ok but in future ask me before you hit a strange button", then go to your room, punch the wall for fifteen minutes and collapse into a sobbing heap.

I loved the original - I loved this tbh...

There were some minorly annoying things (mostly time limits) in the first one - the second one I found just plan bliss in gaming terms tho.

Even if there were some annoying bits - the music keeps you going - as do the fantastic visuals tbh...

Unwrapped my copy of the original today and played it for the first time ever. I didn't get very far because I found the timers on it really rescrictive. I'm kinda wishing I hadn't watched someone else play JSRF now, I would have happily played it without question otherwise.

The timed levels on the original make it all the better. Except for the later levels where you are punished by a tight time limit, millions of tags spread across levels as well as a billion things trying to kill you.

The timed levels on the original make it all the better. Except for the later levels where you are punished by a tight time limit, millions of tags spread across levels as well as a billion things trying to kill you.

That's exactly the thing (well, one of the things) that annoyed me most about the original; blindly going into a new area and skating in completely the wrong direction and not knowing about it because it's your first time in this area but there's not a lot you can do about it because of the damned clock. :blink: