God Of War - Pal

Cyhwuhx

I'd pick higher frame rate over higher resolution anyday, thankyouverymuch :D

plus the higher res will probably cause the engine to drop a few more frames per second too. See Waverace BS on PAL vs NTSC for an example

WaveRace BS PAL hasnt been optimised. It's just running full screen. It has terrible frameskip wchih makes it so choppy. Nothing to do with the engine not handling it, or anything. Just a typically shite 'conversion'.

A properly optimised game is completely indistinuishable from one running in 60hz. I dont believe anyone can tell the difference between a constant 50 and constant 60 fps.

.::: What an odd thing to ask. Both games run at different 'speeds' for themselves. So far the comparison is fully dependent on which style you prefer:

Ninja Gaiden is a highly clinical Japanese stylished slash'em up.

God of War is a brute over-the-top American chopped slash'em up.

Ninja Gaiden is definitely more difficult, but also more clear with your actions. If you fail in Ninja Gaiden it's your own dumb fault.

In God of War however, there have been plenty of times Kratos was still in a combat-animation, making him unable to dodge or block instantaneous. I found I started playing as Ninja Gaiden an bumped into some infuriating moments as a result. Enough to smash a controller were it not for the fact that it's too damned hot to actually care.

God of War is Epic, though. It's like The Mummy meets Indiana Jones in Greece (bad combo, I know). The combat is good, but it misses Ninja Gaiden's DOA heritage in terms of moves. Don't get me wrong, it's still stupendous to play, but all in all Ninja gaiden puts you in control at every step. GoW is a bit more rough (fits in with the overal theme).

Yet the game speed. I'd say it's good ingame. The FMV has been screwed though and the sounds runs horribly out of sync in it. The actual soundmix has also been tarnished with the FMV volume far below that of the ingame action, causing me to scramble for the remote whenever the game switches between FMV and ingame or vice versa.

Let me summarise ala Kojima:

Ninja Gaiden is the perfect Japanese dinner in the perfect ambiance, with impeccable service you need to ask for in Japanese, in which incredibly outspoken tastes make every bite different and maybe not as pleasant as you hoped, but it will leave an overall impression that you'll remember fondly.

God of War is the most enormous and monstrously delicious Burger King/McDonalds/other-fast-food-chain super menu, complete with bloody toy gift, delayed service behind the counter and which you'll ravage through rather quickly while enjoying every bite, but what will ultimately seem a bit throwaway afterwards as you produce a belch.

Both are not to be missed though.

A properly optimised game is completely indistinuishable from one running in 60hz. I dont believe anyone can tell the difference between a constant 50 and constant 60 fps.

Agreed, but then you have a game like MGS3, which suffers nasty slowdown on the PAL version. Its 25-30fps becomes 20-25.. Ouch. But then again, it could just be a crappy conversion.

But still, I know its cheaper and easier for them to just put in a 50/60hz option at startup.

Oh and Luigis Mansion PAL was optimised no? and it looks a bit stuttery compared to the NTSC version.

.::: Luigi's Mansion was all but optimised. They didn't even get his lipsync right when he calls for Mario.

None of Nintendo's early GC releases were optimised, they were just full screen.

Back on topic though. God of War is less technical than NG, imo, but has just as much depth to the combat. You have to pay more attention to the enemies though, as you cant dodge / block mid attack, like in NG.

Despite the slightly dodgy-sounding PAL conversion I still really want this game. The latest delay is extremely annoying :D

To make matters worse, I just noticed that it's available right now from amazon.fr for 49.50 euros or £37.00-odd at dvdcrave. I think I might just get it from one of them as a kind of impatient, futile protest against crappy UK release dates...

I remember reading on Gamecentral something saying that the reason that God of War has been delayed is because SCEE doesn't like promoting SCEA games. Is that true?

Having recently played Ninja Gaiden again recently, it is indeed a lot more 'technical' in terms of control, but at the same time feels a bit more static (especially while you only have a sword at the start); GoW is instantly playable - you look like you're amazing at the game from the beginning, and learning to play with grabbing enemies mid air and stuff is just SO gratifying.

The most accessible and instantly appealing action game ever? I believe so.

Let me summarise ala Kojima:

Ninja Gaiden is the perfect Japanese dinner in the perfect ambiance, with impeccable service you need to ask for in Japanese, in which incredibly outspoken tastes make every bite different and maybe not as pleasant as you hoped, but it will leave an overall impression that you'll remember fondly.

God of War is the most enormous and monstrously delicious Burger King/McDonalds/other-fast-food-chain super menu, complete with bloody toy gift, delayed service behind the counter and which you'll ravage through rather quickly while enjoying every bite, but what will ultimately seem a bit throwaway afterwards as you produce a belch.

Both are not to be missed though.

Truly brilliant! :(

Having recently played Ninja Gaiden again recently, it is indeed a lot more 'technical' in terms of control, but at the same time feels a bit more static (especially while you only have a sword at the start); GoW is instantly playable - you look like you're amazing at the game from the beginning, and learning to play with grabbing enemies mid air and stuff is just SO gratifying.

The most accessible and instantly appealing action game ever? I believe so.

For me Ninja Gaiden and its combat only really takes off once you get the counters at the end of level 2. That still leaves 13 levels of goodness however, and it really really comes full swing once you upgrade the sword/get the nunchucks, which is only a level or two later.

No more than a short couple of hours in a massive game, either way.

Yet the game speed. I'd say it's good ingame. The FMV has been screwed though and the sounds runs horribly out of sync in it. The actual soundmix has also been tarnished with the FMV volume far below that of the ingame action, causing me to scramble for the remote whenever the game switches between FMV and ingame or vice versa.

That's really bad. They didn't even redo the video. It really pisses me off when thay cant even be bothered to re-render the cut scenes at PAL speed. It's like going back to the PS1 days. I might cancel my pre-order and import instead.

Played the PAL demo last night (free if you preorder, which costs nowt).

Before that I was playing Warrior Within and God of War felt almost the same game!

Still, good stuff and a lot of fun to play.

So, so wrong it's not even funny :P

Relented and paid top dollar for this the other day:

WOW

Just one of the most stunning games I've played on any console this gen. The action is fast and brutal, yet at the same time it feels fresher and smarter than any of it's contemporaries. The platforming seems PoPlite, but suffices wonderfully in breaking up the numerous set-pieces.

Visually it is to the PS2 what Resi4 was to the Cube, utterly jaw dropping, with virtually no frame rate trouble, and the soundtrack is every bit as majestic and exciting as the game itself.

Anyway, I'm off back to play some more of it, but make sure those orders are placed for this Friday folks B)

...I should also note that despite the - quite frankly - baffling omission of a 60 htz mode (and screen position, grrrrrr) it's one of the quickest PS2 games on two legs.

Just one of the most stunning games I've played on any console this gen. The action is fast and brutal, yet at the same time it feels fresher and smarter than any of it's contemporaries. The platforming seems PoPlite, but suffices wonderfully in breaking up the numerous set-pieces.

My copy arrived from Amazon.co.fr a few days ago. It's lovely, isn't it?

Your RE4 comparison is interesting because that's what it reminded me of. Not in terms of gameplay etc, just that it's a fantastic example of something put together by people who really understand how to make a satisfying video game.

My copy arrived from Amazon.co.fr a few days ago. It's lovely, isn't it?

Your RE4 comparison is interesting because that's what it reminded me of. Not in terms of gameplay etc, just that it's a fantastic example of something put together by people who really understand how to make a satisfying video game.

That really is it though, there's just so much common sense design in there, which so many designers seem to miss nowadays. Save points are perfectly balanced with check points, the combat and rpg elements are instinctively constructed, and the controls just feel right.

The traps and surprises in Pandora's castle are so fulfilling to complete, I'd take it over PoP and Gaiden at the moment, and the combat is just so intense and brutal, you really feel as if you're tearing your way through an undead army. Brilliance on every level.

Mine arrived yesterday from Gameplay and I am absolutely bowled over by this.

It reminds me of Myth on the the Amiga on steroids, I just adore the settings and enemies.

I've got to say the sound through a surround system is just incredible the raw ferocity just amazed me.

One thing that was instantly appealing was that Kratos feels like a right hardman right from the start without having all the usual levelling up weariness that I'm starting to tire of these days.

Utterly, essentially ace so far.

Picked it up last night, great being by the Metrocentre as they always have fridays stuff available to buy after 6ish on a thursday.

Little niggles so far - the balance beam stuff feels a bit unnecessary as it's not as good as POP. He goes into a balance animation but you're still basically walking with full analog control and he tends to slip off quite a bit to start with (could be the DS2 sticks though). Was amused to discover you could still jump on a beam though so if you're feeling brave you can hop along the whole thing (I fell to my death a few times).

Also noticed quite a bit of tearing, even when not much is going on. Otherwise pretty good though (I'm not one to complain about no 60 Hz most of the time). Oh and the game's pretty good too...

Started playing this yesterday too. Agreed about the screen tearing, only really noticable in certain areas but it's definately the worst I've seen on PS2. Apart from that though, it does look lovely. Some of the areas I've seen have a really epic feel to them, with lots of stuff going on in the background.

Was a bit dissapointed at first and thought it was a really shallow game what with being able to mindlessly button bash through the first level, but now I've got further, you do actually have to use tactics and block and parry lots. Theres a bit depth in trying to link everything together to get a huge combo count. It's no DMC3 in terms of depth, but there seems to be enough there to make the game interesting. Using a big combo to knock an enemy into the air, chain grabbing them back down again followed up by a rising slash into a mid air combo and finished off with a mid air throw=8) Once the controls click, its all quite intuitive.

Thought the wall climbing stuff was irritating until I realised you could jump about on the wall. The QTE style stuff is nice, adds a bit of variety and the finishing moves are satisfying. Also, surely the most tits on display ever in a videogame. Lost count of how many already and I've only played a few hours. ;)

Looking forward to getting stuck into it again tonight.

I'm relly surprised by the lack of chat about God of War, whats going on?

Anyway i'm REALLY enjoying it, everything about it (apart from the screen tearing) is class and it just feels so epic.

Back to it, got a feeling i'll have it done by the rest of the day ;)

Just played through the first level and...oh my.

Talk about epic. The first proper boss would be impressive as the final boss on most games, but obvsiouly this game likes to do things a little bigger.

Great combat too. Perhaps not as deep as DMC3 or Ninja Gaiden so far but definately as satisfying.