Translated Snes Rpgs

pancho

As a little something for the SNES revival community springing up around PSP emulation and to celebrate the birth of my daughter I've uploaded a raft of top previously Japanese-only Super Nintendo RPGs that have been fan translated to my webspace.

You can grab them for a few days before I take them down. Please don't link to them- just take what you need and be on your way...

There are some real delights in there for you and I've even gone to the trouble of patching all the roms with the relevant IPS files for you so you just download the rom and you're off- no messing about.

Out of the ones there I suggest you play the delightful Bahamut Lagoon (still one of the best SRPG systems ever invented) and Seiken densetsu 3 (the game Square USA canned the translation of in favour of secret of evermore /slow clap).

The transaltion quality does vary but the more famous games generally have extremely good translations (in fact- the final fantasy 5 translation used in FF anthology was allegedly based on fans sub work)

Tales of Phantasia is great for you namco fans and there are some real rare curios. Try out some Rudra no hihou on the bus journey home if you want an RPG headache...

Anyway. Feedback on what you liked and what you didn't. Oh, and if anyone has the fully translated Star Ocean rom could they send that over to me as mine is only the beta...

Enjoy

*obviously I expect you to either own all the original carts or delete the rom off your hardrive within 24 hours...

I highly recommend the Seiken Densetsu 3 translation - a great game and a great translation. I remember slogging through it in its original Japanese on the Super Famicom many years ago, but I enjoyed the translated ROM much more.

Missing from your list is the brilliant Front Mission with its equally brilliant translation. It's the game that made me buy a Super Famicom and the game that later made me keep a close eye on the translation scene.

Erm....

Romlinks aren't allowed

Shut it, you.

I'll take them down if rllmuk really wants but maybe these could be an exception as they're not rom links in the usual sense...

If need be i'll just post the ips files and peple can do all the hard work themselves.

stroker: Yes! I have the first FM on my laptop. I'll add that later.

As a little something for the SNES revival community springing up around PSP emulation and to celebrate the birth of my daughter I've uploaded a raft of top previously Japanese-only Super Nintendo RPGs that have been fan translated to my webspace.

You can grab them for a few days before I take them down. Please don't link to them- just take what you need and be on your way...

There are some real delights in there for you and I've even gone to the trouble of patching all the roms with the relevant IPS files for you so you just download the rom and you're off- no messing about.

Out of the ones there I suggest you play the delightful Bahamut Lagoon (still one of the best SRPG systems ever invented) and Seiken densetsu 3 (the game Square USA canned the translation of in favour of secret of evermore /slow clap).

The transaltion quality does vary but the more famous games generally have extremely good translations (in fact- the final fantasy 5 translation used in FF anthology was allegedly based on fans sub work)

Tales of Phantasia is great for you namco fans and there are some real rare curios. Try out some Rudra no hihou on the bus journey home if you want an RPG headache...

Anyway. Feedback on what you liked and what you didn't. Oh, and if anyone has the fully translated Star Ocean rom could they send that over to me as mine is only the beta...

Enjoy

*obviously I expect you to either own all the original carts or delete the rom off your hardrive within 24 hours...

You are now officially royalty :)

Cheers. Yours has the extra gfx packs which are no longer needed in modern emulators, since the SDD1 chip was cracked.

I guess there's no harm in keeping the gfx packs for use with older emus though - I've replaced my smaller file with yours now. :D

um this stuffs all over the place to find. plus its a full on 'get roms here' post. amazed its still here tbh. from the title i thought it was a new translation by a forumite, not a hosting of other people's freely available work.

Coincidentally, I started playing Tales Of Phantasia again last night (completely lost, but that's a different matter) while looking for some ROMs to play on the train. Good stuff, I'm looking forward to getting properly into it.

I also looked longingly at my Jap Bahamut Lagoon, so great timing there.

Cheers!

Always remember wanting to play Treasure Hunter G after seeing it in an old, old Nintendo magazine, will get stuck into it in a few weeks.  Thank you!

Its an interesting one. Published by Squaresoft in 1995 but done by an out of house dev team as far as I remember. Pretty novel battle system although I'm not a huge fan of the 'waxy' graphics look so bemoaned by miyamoto at the time.

Congratulations!

This is the equivalent of handing out cigars.

Thanks.

Cheers. She's lovely.

How is the PSP SNES emulator? Does it work ok?

I heard it only works with firmware 1.0?

Works fine on my 1.5, a little slow with some games maybe but nigh on perfect at 333Mhz. Some decent options too.

Btw, any one else had any problems with running Seiken Densetsu 3 on PSP? The text on the menus is totally garbled and the in-game text is overlapped (like the characters are chopped short on the right hand side). It's barely readable.

Looks lush though, hopefully I can find a fix and waste some more of my (battery) life.

• 9 months later...

I was hoping that the roms mentioned in this thread could be posted again? I would appreciate Tales of Phantasia, Dragon Quest and Bahamut Lagoon in particular.

I guess that with these never having been available commercially that it's ok to ask for them? Cheers

Yes, but they still use comercially available code - it's only the patch that's in the public domain. It's a hundred K of free, homemade code patched onto several Mb of intellectual property that's still very much owned by Enix or whoever.

It's not suddenly legal to download the game just because it's been patched.

Of course, I don't give a cock, so download away.

Yes, but they still use comercially available code - it's only the patch that's in the public domain. It's a hundred K of free, homemade code patched onto several Mb of intellectual property that's still very much owned by Enix or whoever.

It's not suddenly legal to download the game just because it's been patched.

Of course, I don't give a cock, so download away.

Well yeah I know technically it's still illegal. But if they couldn't give a rats ass about ever translating the games for us - then to be fair, I don't give a rats ass about having an illegal copy either.

I was hoping that the roms mentioned in this thread could be posted again? I would appreciate Tales of Phantasia, Dragon Quest and Bahamut Lagoon in particular.

I guess that with these never having been available commercially that it's ok to ask for them? Cheers

Phantasia is already out on gba in the uk and us :angry: