Translated Snes Rpgs

pancho

Ooh... A topic on Japanese RPGs, hey? Check out the "coming next month" pages (112-113) in issue 24 of Retro Gamer, you should find a nice surprise. :lol:

Care to fill us in for those who don't buy Retro Gamer? Are they getting the rights to include them on a cover disc or something?

Care to fill us in for those who don't buy Retro Gamer? Are they getting the rights to include them on a cover disc or something?

Crikey, I don't think the surprise is that big... :wub:

I'm probably not allowed to post text here, though it is to promote it, so I don't think the lawyers will be out in force suddenly. It says in the corner, and I quote, "Emulation Nation. Fancy playing Japanese RPGs but can't speak the language? Worry no further as Retro Gamer has the answers you're looking for."

Above the text is an image of a Japanese game. That issue is 25, out on May 25th.

It might be worth buying a copy, just to see what's happening. It's a great mag, though of course I'm rather biased in its favour. ;)

"Emulation Nation. Fancy playing Japanese RPGs but can't speak the language? Worry no further as Retro Gamer has the answers you're looking for."

I was very happy to read that in the mag. I've been looking at old snes rpgs for a couple of months and look forward to seeing if there's any interesting info.

Some very dedicated people have translated some brilliant RPGs - a real goldmine of games that only Super Play offered a glimpse at back in the day. I've just got the translated Star Ocean running on my SNES, and it's a superb game.

I have this thread to thank for me having only just woken up today, as I was sat up till a ridiculous hour playing Bahamut Lagoon last night. Its super amazing.

Also I still want to know what Wonderboy J is. Is it Monsterland IV? Because I found that and have put silly hours into that as well, until my Gens savestates seemed to all simultaneously corrupt a few days ago. I'll start again sonn but I can see today being mostly about Bahamut Lagoon.

I hadn't played a snes RPG for yonks and I've forgotten how absorbing they were. Although its super annoying that these were never released here, getting them now really feels like having a part of my childhood that was stolen by an evil ogre returned to me.

I never liked Monsterland IV actually... But then again, I did discover a game killing glitch in the Ice Palace.

Game killing glitches are something I hate, and frankly, it's just sloppy.

But yeah, some of those forgotten import gems out there can really eat up your time. I've been going through a whole bunch of translated MSX titles. They are awesome.

In Bahamut Lagoon... is there any way to get more control over your dragons?

one of the websites I was reading said that if you overfeed them they can act randomly, but they seem to do that anyway - i.e there is no strategy in their attacks. Can you influence it somehow beyond the go/stay/wait command?

i'm really enjoying it so far, up to about level 5 i think, but I was just wondering if it ever "opens out" and gives you control over where you go, or is it just one set battle after another in a linear order?

I don't think it will put me off if it is, because the battles are so much fun.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been trying to upload it for about half an hour, but my connection keeps going down at the moment. I'll edit this post if I manage to up the whole thing.

Edit: My Internet works now, but the memory stick that the .zip was on has just died so I guess I can't upload them.

Bahamut Lagoon finished, about ten more to go. I'm thinking of Rudora no Hihou next, the storyline sounds interesting from reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudora_no_hihou and I like the way you select a scenario to play through at the start. Anyone else played the translation of this?

Glad you love bahamut. It's one of my favourites.

Rudra is a little hard going- I heard a story about the producer for that game deciding to stop making games after that because it was such a tough experience - I may have made that up though- can't quite remember.

Glad you love bahamut. It's one of my favourites.

Rudra is a little hard going- I heard a story about the producer for that game deciding to stop making games after that because it was such a tough experience - I may have made that up though- can't quite remember.

Thats very odd. I was reading another article which mentioned the house where Daphne De Maurier wrote the birds, just yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

Aye, could anyone throw these up again, please? :)

The memory stick that died the last time I tried to upload these seems to have come back to life. They should be uploaded in an hour or so (I'll edit this post with a link), but my connection has been terrible recently so I can't guarantee anything.

edit: Done

edit again: they've gone; see my next post

I highly recommend the Seiken Densetsu 3 translation - a great game and a great translation. I remember slogging through it in its original Japanese on the Super Famicom many years ago, but I enjoyed the translated ROM much more.

Missing from your list is the brilliant Front Mission with its equally brilliant translation. It's the game that made me buy a Super Famicom and the game that later made me keep a close eye on the translation scene.

Shut it, you.

No problem. Get them while you can, as I just found out that the server I'm hosting them on is being taken down on Saturday.

Got 'em, cheers. I'll try and spread the joy, too. If anyone else here misses the boat I can stick 'em up on yousendit. :blink:

Missing from your list is the brilliant Front Mission with its equally brilliant translation. It's the game that made me buy a Super Famicom and the game that later made me keep a close eye on the translation scene.

Would it be against the rules for me to upload this? I don't really know the rules here relating to old/translated roms.

Is the Lufia 2 translation generally thought to be better than the American release, or something? I was wondering why that one's in there...

Would it be against the rules for me to upload this? I don't really know the rules here relating to old/translated roms

Do it, captain! Protesters will simply be referred to Stroker Ace's original post.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh... A topic on Japanese RPGs, hey? Check out the "coming next month" pages (112-113) in issue 24 of Retro Gamer, you should find a nice surprise. :)

When I read this I assumed it meant there was going to be a feature on Japanaese RPGs upcoming. I don't buy RG usually but I have checked each issue when it came out, to look for the feature. did I miss it?