Arsenal

cubeadvance

That was good, but really it was a bit shit. The goals we conceded were awful, the goals we scored were thanks to them being awful at defending even in comparison to Arsenal. We wouldn't have got any of those against a good team.

That was good, but really it was a bit shit. The goals we conceded were awful, the goals we scored were thanks to them being awful at defending even in comparison to Arsenal. We wouldn't have got any of those against a good team.

Well, to coin the old cliché, you can only beat what's put in front of you.

And Arsenal can't usually do that, so this is something to be happy about at least.

Seriously, though, to be 2 points off the Champion's League places nearly half way through the season is probably about as much as we could have hoped for without Wenger spending a bit more money. January should be interesting. Maybe this will be the January, guys. The January. Like the summer that never happens.

Diaby might be back for twenty minutes in January as well.

There's an article on the Guardian already about how Theo is the striker to solve all our woes. Based solely on him fackin runnin abaht a bit, missing one sitter and scoring another, versus the worst defence in the league. Amazing.

same in the bbc report! the way they've written the report you would think that walcott was man of the match when he didn't actually do much!

I didn't watch the match, but it's perfectly feasible that it was the presence and movement of Walcott which made so much space for Podolski and Cazorla to take their goals, and if not for him those chances wouldn't have been there. It's not as important whether he himself scores or misses a sitter if the team is getting more chances for him being there.

That sounded quite good in my head but now I've written it down it sounds a bit like the Emile Heskey Defence

I didn't watch the match, but it's perfectly feasible that it was the presence and movement of Walcott which made so much space for Podolski and Cazorla to take their goals, and if not for him those chances wouldn't have been there. It's not as important whether he himself scores or misses a sitter if the team is getting more chances for him being there.

That sounded quite good in my head but now I've written it down it sounds a bit like the Emile Heskey Defence

i watched the match and fox has summed up the entirety of his contribution for the night. the midfielders were given acres of space by the awful reading defence and most of the goals came from crosses from the wing.

The truth is that Walcott did ok. He had a few shots, a few good runs, created a bit of space for others & most importantly got his goal.

He shouldn't be judged on one game up front, he needs a little run up there.

Was quite impressed with Podolski, Cazorla & Wilshere.

The goals we conceded were a bit soft though and a clean sheet would have been nice.

Even though Reading were poor it's still an away win, 3 points and 5 goals scored. We're 2 points behind the sc*m and Chelsea so it's all to play for.

A signing or two in January (yeah right) would be nice and we go from there.

Brief hint from Wenger here:

We have a good core of English players. We could not keep the core of foreign players [at the club] but I hope we can build a team around these English players. We have gone through a period of restricted financial potential when we moved into the new stadium but we have gone over that and, hopefully, we can be a bit more convincing now."

I mean, it's obvious looking at our recent activity that this is the case but nice to hear him (or anyone from the club) actually say it. If it's now over, then you know what you need to do in January Arsene:

image.png

The feeling I get with Walcott is that this whole "Centre Forward is his natural position" thing has gone on for so long now that he has to perform or at least nab a goal if he's not doing so well. If he doesn't the press and the fans will get on his back.

To some extent its all his own doing, especially if that is really one of the reasons he's not agreed on a new contract but the fans, the media and Wenger all hold some responsibility for that kind of pressure too.

Christmas list:

Cazorla to sign a contract extension.

A statue of Cazorla outside The Grove.

All of my Arsenal shirts to have Cazorla on the back. Apart from my Bergkamp ones. And the 'Dench' one.

A Santi Cazorla-endorsed cookery book.

A dedicated channel on TV of Santi playing football.

Giroud in a towel.

Cazorla was amazing last night but it comes on the back of a relative two or three game slump for him, still really good but not dominating like he did early season. I think we've been asking too much of him and Wilshere takes the pressure off massively. I wonder about Arteta, who does a terrific job, but isn't the CM killer we might need. I think he's on a leash and credit to him for sticking to his job but I might buy a bully CM to just break things up and protect the back four and rotate Aterta, Wilshere and Cazorla in the creative roles.

Also, Gibbs. Fuck up last night aside, he looked ace before the injury and has been the part since coming back. I wonder if it's the case that even a semi decent left back is enough for our system or if he really is a great prospect, I suspect the latter. Understated but we seem to click when he plays. Podolski looks better in front of him too.

I hope our alarming lack of form and confidence is over cos on paper we do still look very good.

Christmas list: striker like Huntelaar (well, Huntelaar actually) and CM power house. And a keeper for competition but not really Reina, IMO.

Did anyone see this vid of Gary Neville talking about our attacking options? I thought this was an excellent analysis of our problems this season and he surprised me by saying that it's not defence that is the problem this season although clearly there are many errors we could do with cutting out etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FAsYAB-kD6w

Christmas list:

Cazorla to sign a contract extension.

A statue of Cazorla outside The Grove.

All of my Arsenal shirts to have Cazorla on the back. Apart from my Bergkamp ones. And the 'Dench' one.

A Santi Cazorla-endorsed cookery book.

A dedicated channel on TV of Santi playing football.

Giroud in a towel.

:lol:

Did anyone see this vid of Gary Neville talking about our attacking options? I thought this was an excellent analysis of our problems this season and he surprised me by saying that it's not defence that is the problem this season although clearly there are many errors we could do with cutting out etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FAsYAB-kD6w

I think alot of people, both football fans and journalists alike, have all come to the conclusion that over the past few years Arsenal have become very static in their attacking play, but that was pretty damning. There's the possibility that we have three central midfielders that are too much alike (they do have differences though)

He is so off. Have one of these contract sagas ever ended well for Arsenal? Have we managed to convince anyone to stay once they get near to the end of their contract?

Sad fact is that if you are a decent player you can probably earn more elsewhere and have a better chnace of winning something.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

zp_xmasfun2_1024x768_3146.jpg

Sad fact is that if you are a decent player you can probably earn more elsewhere and have a better chnace of winning something.

Hmm. I think he has a good chance of moving somewhere that will give him a go in his 'favoured' position (if that really is the issue), but I am not sure he can have that and also go to a club where he will definitely win stuff. Liverpool would be desperate to have him you feel, but it's unlikely to be a step up in wages, or give him a shot at 'winning something' in the short term. Once they get a few players back, he probably wouldn't be playing up front either.