Arsenal

cubeadvance

we can't defend corners - systems are irrelevant, its doing them well that matters.

we playing zonal and all standing round allowing a runner room and the chance to take a running jump against static players.

keeper won't look back fondly on that one either.

So what's this about gooners fighting among themselves at Brighton?

Apparently a fan or group of fans got a banner out calling for AW to go and it then kicked off, punches thrown apparently.

Daley you were there, did this happen or have the media made it up?

Definitely happened but I only caught the end of it.

article-2269223-1734062D000005DC-21_634x451.jpg

That was the banner. I didn't notice it at the 80 minute mark, only at the end when I heard "One Arsene Wenger" sung for the one and only time. I was right at the front and turned and clearly something had just happened as there were a couple of groups of fans kind of squaring off to each other but I didn't see any punches.

Getting a banner like that out in the ground is pretty shitty, I still think you go to support the team but hitting your own fans is fucking nasty. (As is hitting anyone over football obviously, just in case that wasn't clear!)

In other news it seems I was on telly. I'm also currently on the Arsenal.com home page. The image they have used on Arsenal player has me behind the goal, just as Giroud is gonna score his second.

I am also in the background here. Busy day Saturday.

A lot of people on twitter are claiming the scrap wasn't to do with the flag but happened when some people became perhaps a bit too vociferous in their criticism of Andre Santos. Presumably others pointed out that he's hardly likely to improve with people constantly booing him and calling him every name under the sun, and it went from there.

Whether that's true or not I don't know.

That would make sense because he was cheered (ironically) off when his number came up.

I agree that it's not really the best way to get a player's confidence up but my God he was shit on Saturday.

Even one of the Brighton stewards said to me all I can hear from you lot is "fucks sake Santos!"

He was bad even by his standards, but he hasn't played a lot lately. End of the day he's playing for the Arsenal at least until the end of the season so it doesn't do any good to get too on his back. And ultimately if he's not good enough then blame the guy who signed him. When I'm at the game I might get a bit exasperated sometimes but I never cross the line into outright abuse. I don't see how that helps your team.

Notice that our rivals have both strengthened during the January transfer window. Sadly I'm talking about Spurs and Everton, not Man United and Chelsea. There's still 4 days left I suppose, something may happen...

No David Villa then. Can't say I'm terribly surprise - I never saw that coming off in a million years :lol:

Still I can understand how it must be difficult to identify and sign a better forward than Gervinho when you've got £180m in the bank and six months to look. :facepalm:

Anyway, team for tomorrow? I'd have thought we'll see:

Szczesny; Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs; Wilshere, Ramsey, Cazorla; Podolski, Giroud, Walcott

The bench will look a little better than in recent weeks, at least in midfield, with Rosicky and Diaby available. It's just a shame we've got zero forwards on the bench and we're worryingly close to having to resort to Squillaci at the back.

Regarding Wenger: doing some quick sums I think I'm right in saying that no-one has ever finished higher in the league than Wenger's Arsenal with less resources available to them. I'm defining resources as net spend on transfers and player salaries over the previous five years. Chelsea and City have spent ludicrously more to achieve their higher positions, ManU spend on average 30% more than Arsenal. The only side that came close was Liverpool in the 08/09 season but then they had outspent Arsenal by around 10% in the previous five years. Wenger has, however, finished higher than sides with a bigger spend on several occasions.

Bit of a dry academic exercise but to my mind it represents an extraordinary achievement, unmatched by the likes of Mourinho and Ferguson. If you consider how close the correlation between money spent and league position is - the job of a manager is to extract the most from the resources available to them you could argue that not many managers have done a better job over a sustained period of time.

I guess the spate of poor performances of late has led many of us question Wenger, myself included. Certainly you could argue whether he had more resources available to him that went unused, it's also entirely possible that this will be the first season that this record is broken - regardless, I still view him as one of the best managers coaching today. We are in my opinion lucky to have him as our manager. Unless of course we lose to Liverpool tomorrow, in which case disregard all of this nonsense - engage in feverish conversations around jettisoning Arsene at the earliest opportunity and bringing in a complete duffer like Martinez.

Here's an article on whether or not Arsene overachieves

TL;DR version - we're normally about where you'd expect us to be, give how much we spend compared to teams around us. An obvious outlier would be last season, where we finished comfortably ahead of Chelsea, but that was more about them having a hilariously poor season than us pulling up any trees, and we were a long way off the Manchester clubs and barely ahead of Tottenham.

Basically you'd expect Arsenal to finish fourth, based on spending, but you'd also expect us to get fourth fairly comfortably because we spend a lot more than the likes of Everton and Spuds. That hasn't happened in the last couple of years so I don't think Arsene is overachieving anymore, and hasn't overachieved in any significant way for at least five years.

No David Villa then. Can't say I'm terribly surprise - I never saw that coming off in a million years :lol:

I love how the news is that Villa wants to leave, we want to buy him but Barcelona don't want to sell so he's staying put. Guess it only works one way then :facepalm:

We seem very short in defense and up front, especially as we shipped out Djourou and Chamakh.

A lengthy injury to Walcott or Giroud would be very troubling. Gerinvho will be LANS of course, and I suppose Gervinho on the bench is better than Arshavin on the bench. But it's still a very precarious state up front and at centre back, and we all know what Arsene's success on gambling is like.