Agreed I've seen Vardy at his best when he is playing on the counter, not sure how well he will do against teams that defend deep. also I know he had a great scoring record but one thing people seem  to forget about Kane and Vardy is their goal stats are boosted by being penalty takers and its not like we have had many penalties recently.

We'd have to have players in the box to gain penalties, rather than stop around it passion to each other.

:lol:

Fucking iPhone autocorrect!

Ozil lovingly strokes the ball to Alexis, Alexis with a cheeky tap to Ramsey who takes a skip and a twist before caressing the ball to Bellerin, who loses possession when the defender gets a bit physical

This only really makes sense if we're shipping out Fenton. Vardy is a British passport to replace a departing one who's as quick and is a better finisher. Vardy isn't the wide player like Theo is (though Theo's barely that) but as an option who can score goals he's much more of a threat. 

He is an odd fit for Arsenal though and personality wise is clearly not a Wenger person (imagine Vardy & Jack together), but this does seem to suggest that Wenger is abandoning his principles of the last recent years in search of an all-out assault on the League. 

However it's looked at and analysed, it's odd and personally speaking, an uncomfortable fit. 

I'm very keen on Vardy for £20m (release clause is this much apparently but only for a team in the CL).

He's a here and now player, none of this one for the future stuff. With the massive hike in TV money and fees £20m for a proven prem striker who is good for 2-3 seasons and £100k a week wages represents good value. Sure he has no resale but that's why he costs 40% of a Raheem Sterling.

He does still have decent resale value after a year if he flops.

Maybe AW has a formation change in mind, or Vardy is playing wide? He doesn't seem to have the right profile or sufficient technique to play lone CF for a team like us.

Really doesn't seem like it's misdirection. Can only assume that Morata and so on are just not available, and with Welbeck injured and Alexis in need of an extended rest, we have to sign *someone*.

I can see this happening.

Questionable person and fit, but he is direct and ballsy - as is Xhaka who I think will turn out to be an excellent signing. I doubt Wenger would stop there either, I wonder whether the looming end to his tenure is switching on a desire to shake things up a bit.

More, please.

1 hour ago, The Fox said:

Really doesn't seem like it's misdirection. Can only assume that Morata and so on are just not available, and with Welbeck injured and Alexis in need of an extended rest, we have to sign *someone*.

What I don't get is why everyone is signing players up before the Euros. Obviously, I know that players want to know their futures before the tournament but there are gonna be some injuries at the tournament so wouldn't it make sense to buy after the dust has settled? There's also bound to be some performances that'll draw the attention of buyers too.

And you sign before the euros so that your target doesn't have a really good tournament that makes their value go up.

not that that will be an issue if you're targeting English or Welsh players

As a neutral it would be a shame to not see the same Leicester side go up against the best sides in Europe. Trying to steal Vardy away on the back of a sensational season seems like missing one of the great successes of Leicester's season, of taking previously either unknown, or overlooked players who have certain striking traits and getting the right team balance to get the absolute best out of those qualities. It's been so refreshing and satisfying to see that, actually, in fact, unbelievably, whoever could have guessed, that there are more than the same 20 players bandied around who are capable of being consistently high quality. Seems so lazy and lacking insight to me to want to sign Vardy now. Is he really the only hungry no-nonsense very fast ruthless centre forward in the entire world? Yeah I get the difference between signing a striker who has already scored 20 in the league to one who potentially could, but if a striker can't flourish with Ozil behind him then that would be freakish.

I hate the transfer window because rather than widening peoples exposure and awareness of unknown players, it mostly represents a kind of laziness, snatching at players who have already proved themselves and then throwing a load of money at desperately hoping they'll re-create their performances over here.

Arsenal have been buying potential for years and all they've ended up with is players like Nicklas Bendtner. Sometimes you have to buy existing talent and Vardy will run forever for the team and you know if he gets the ball in a goal scoring position he's actually going to shoot. It's always as shame when successful smaller teams are broken up and if Vardy was younger he'd probably stay at Leicester but this is his one chance to move to an established bigger club so I can understand why he'd take it and why Arsenal would spend so much money on him.

There's a difference between buying existing talent and buying a 30 year who relies massively on pace with one good season under his belt. It's not like they're splashing out on Higuain.

edit - there's also the style clash. Vardy needs space in behind to break into. Arsenal don't really do that. But styles can be changed. Couldn't see him ever being much use at the Emirates though. 

Must admit, I think it's a shame he might leave Leicester, he could have given them a year imo. However the flipside is that in another year chances are high he might not get another shot at a bigger club. Decisions decisions I guess, but not terribly hard ones when you're pushing 70k odd a week.

If he does move I wonder what that might mean for Leicester's other big players'..? Damn shame if we don't get the opportunity to see what Leicester could have done in Europe with their original team.

Can hardly believe we are going to sign a striker who isn't a French under 21 player, but is the genuine article and from a rival Premiership side. Cannot understand why people are complaining after the shit we have seen over the past few years (Bendtner, Sanogo etc.)

2 hours ago, d ebolenk said:

I hate the transfer window because rather than widening peoples exposure and awareness of unknown players, it mostly represents a kind of laziness, snatching at players who have already proved themselves and then throwing a load of money at desperately hoping they'll re-create their performances over here.

they don't want him to go, he has a release clause in his contract, they just aren't like Liverpool were they have it worded so badly he would have to take them to court to get it activated.

It's a very strange one. I think he's fine for two or three years at the top level and he certainly adds to the competitive side of things. It's a lot harder to imagine games we need points from fizzling out to dull draws with him and Xhaka on the pitch. 

But I don't think he fits tactically and replacing signing Morata with Vardy is a bit...Meh. I find it very hard to imagine we're really in for James so it feels a bit cheap too. 

Not excited, honestly.

We have no use whatsoever for James surely. Plus he's a Jorge Mendes client.

I can understand Vardy as a "Best we can get right now, reassess in a couple of years" sort of thing, I guess. The striker market is still terrible so I guess even if he doesn't seem to fit all that well to the way we play, £20m is still good value for an England international who top scored last season. Even if he was a total disaster I reckon you could flog him next summer for £15m.

Club photographer is at the Ems this morning. Wonder why? :rolleyes:

As I've said here and on Twitter, I'm not really convinced by the transfer as on a personal level, Vardy strikes me as being a bit of a twat and I'm unconvinced by his record. 

Having said that, there are reasons to be excited and to see this as a wholly positive move. For starters, it's further evidence that we're going to be busy this summer, that we've got a very specific plan and that things are going to be different next year. 

That we've signed two players for £20m+ plus already is encouraging and shows that weave been planning carefully. There's quite a bit of chat today that the Vardy thing has been in the works for a few weeks and the Xhaka transfer has been going on for a good few months, so it's nice to see that the club is addressing issues and then planning to sort them quickly. 

I do find it odd that many of the voices who've moaned about our very fixed way of playing and Weng not having a range of tactics that he can deploy depending on the opponents/situation, are now moaning about Vardy because he doesn't play the way that we do! Surely by buying Vardy and Xhaka, who likes to spray balls from deep into space for attackers, is entirely indicative of Wenger looking for options and new ways of tackling games where we've struggled previously. Of course, there's no guarantee that this will work and Vardy will adapt to our players and/or our squad to them, but the signing shows that there's a willingness to adapt. 

Also, it does suggest that Wenger has had enough with certain players/styles and is wanting to do something different, for whatever reason. One of the things he's very rarely done is buy players from the PL from other teams and this move shows that he's doing something different for a reason. Now I don't know what that reason is, maybe this is a one-year assault on the League, maybe this is just a huge release of the purse strings in a way that he's been unable (or unwilling?) to do before, or maybe it's just a way to cover some outgoings but whatever the reason, I get why people aren't happy/bothered, but there's reasons to enjoy what is a surprising and potentially exciting signing. 

There's probably an element that Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd are all going to be busy, Spurs will want to build on the progress they've made and despite this Vardy transfer, everyone is interested in seeing what Leicester do next. Add West Ham into that, plus a full season of Klopp at Liverpool and Arsenals continued qualification for the Champions League looks more at risk than it has ever done.

I think the change we're aiming for him to make isn't really matches where we can't score, but the matches where we lose a 1-0 lead in the 84th minute. That does suit him, stopping them starting moves and using space made when they do attack. Games where it is 0-0 at half-time in line with the opposition's hopes I don't  think he'll help with too much. A little, but not the whole answer. 

If he is being signed in addition to others it's good. If that's it for first team attackers it's rather concerning.