IGNORED

Arsenal

cubeadvance

Coquelin made a really important contribution to the first goal, forcing a turnover high up the pitch. It's absolutely ridiculous that he finished that game though when we were chasing it for so long and he offers absolutely nothing in terms of progressing attacks. He should have come off instead of Elneny, and no fucking way should he be starting the next game. If Özil isn't back then go Xhaka-Elneny-Cazorla as a three.

Also obviously not gonna pile in on him but Iwobi was poor today I thought. Hung Monreal out to dry in terms of defensive cover.

edit: Wenger: "We paid for a lack of experience at the back and the fact some players are not ready physically to compete at this level."

Arsène mate, really!? Come on.

3 hours ago, The Fox said:

Yeah this is a good illustration of what I was on about sadly. Don't think any of these goals have been on the inexperienced CBs really. I don't think you fix this with transfers. Wenger's just been done over.

As much as it's true that the CBs weren't directly to 'blame', there's no doubt that sorting that particular issue weeks ago would have created a much more stable and prepared team from the off. You're obviously correct re. our issues are long-standing and won't change as long as the manager doesn't, but having, for example, Mustafi sorted a couple of weeks ago would have allowed us to have an international player with top-flight experience in the team and settled for the game. He'd also bring (I'd assume) his experience and quality that would hopefully allow for a more focused, developed and calm presence that you're going to get with the likes of Holding at the back which would be invaluable at that point where we'd just conceded and looked like we'd concede every time we lost the ball. 

Being proactive in the market also just creates an aura for the squad of the manager being proactive and showing ambition; the players would have spent all summer reading the rumours and seeing the news and seeing their manager once again fail to do business (especially when you see others being active and decisive) is no doubt going to create a sense of complacency and perhaps worry in the team. Now that we get the manager coming out and basically confirming this, you have to say that he's becoming negligent. Also, our complete lack of ability to start the season with a win is not a good indication of Weng's ability to prepare a team. 

And: Liverpool will do well this year. No specific predictions, but Klopp really is a brilliant manager; I always think it says a lot when the players celebrate with a coach like he's one of them. 

The atmosphere at the Emirates really went to shit huh :rolleyes:

They're gonna have to roll Wenger out in one of those bulletproof popemobiles unless we buy some players soon.  I think the fan upset wouldn't be as bad if we'd lost the game and still had new players settling in. but our most exciting new signing was on the bench for half the game.

In my opinion things aren't as bad as Twitter would have you believe.  Liverpool was a game where either team could have come out on top and not a criminally unprepared 8-2 Manchester United men against boys disaster.  Three permanent residents of the first team will be returning in the form of koscielny, Ozil and Giroud.  Also, the transfer window is still open lads!

Says a lot I think that there's not much more than a resigned shrug of the shoulders in here. I think a lot of Wenger fans, myself included, finally lost faith last season and this year it's been hard to drum up much enthusiasm, be it positive or negative.

Yesterday was more of the same old stuff really and it annoyed me that he tried to shift blame onto the "lack of experience at the back" when actually Chambers and Holding were absolutely fine for the most part, aside from Holding on the second goal. The issues were more to do with structure, ball retention, progressing attacks and so on. Our shape was horrible from when we took the lead onwards. These problems have existed for a long time now, weren't the fault of the centre backs, and won't be fixed by signing Mustafi or a forward.

I'm still hopeful we'll sign a couple of players to renew some enthusiasm because on paper we're close to having a really good squad, but I don't think it'll be enough in itself unfortunately.

I'll be honest, I didn't even bother watching it. It's nothing to do with fitness after the Euros that we're about 3 weeks from being ready to start the season, I'm just glad we're not the ones looking at the Champion's Cup play-offs.

38 minutes ago, Rev said:

I'll be honest, I didn't even bother watching it. It's nothing to do with fitness after the Euros that we're about 3 weeks from being ready to start the season, I'm just glad we're not the ones looking at the Champion's Cup play-offs.

Thing is, if we had dropped out the top four last season, you could bet your house on the club making signings to ensure we qualify this season.  They are just happy to plod along.

And why would Ozil & Sanchez sign new deals?  If I were them, I'd be ordering my agent to sort something out.  They are too good to be playing for a club with fuck all chance of winning things.  They surely must be wondering what on earth is going on.  What incentive is there for them to extend their stay at Arsenal?

Depends how happy and settled they are in London I guess, and how much we're willing to pay them. In all honesty I suspect that 'chances of winning stuff comfortably' isn't super high on the agenda for most footballers, otherwise why would they even have left Real/Barca in the first place? I know the clubs were willing to let them go but they didn't *have* to.

I think Ozil will probably sign a new deal if we fork out what he wants.

There's only a small handful of clubs they can really go to though, as we won't sell within England. Also I'm not convinced Alexis is too good for us, personally. Ozil maybe, yeah, but then a lot of the top sides aren't playing an orthodox number 10 these days.

2 hours ago, Rev said:

I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been more fuss about them in the transfer window, I've not really seen much at all, even clearly pretend stuff.

OK, who works for Sky Sports then? (Sanchez to Inter for €80m.)

http://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre

From that - Pereyra to Watford for £13m?!? That's a ridiculous bargain, isn't it? We should be on that.

Griezmann has an £85m release clause I believe so, as an example, we couldn't easily afford him on £200k/week and also pay whatever Valencia want for Mustafi. It really depends on who the forward is they're apparently working on.

Toprak is good but I can't imagine he'd be any cheaper. I hope we get Kjær so that my naive CB wishlists from 2009 can finally come to fruition. :lol:

9 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Griezmann has an £85m release clause I believe so, as an example, we couldn't easily afford him on £200k/week and also pay whatever Valencia want for Mustafi. It really depends on who the forward is they're apparently working on.

Toprak is good but I can't imagine he'd be any cheaper. I hope we get Kjær so that my naive CB wishlists from 2009 can finally come to fruition. :lol:

I used to sign Toprak in FM when I played it, so that'd be a nice way of showing that my scouting abilities were bang-on <_<

As for Griezmann, the complete and utter lack of rumour about that beyond fan-chat and wishes doesn't inspire me with confidence. I assume we're 'keeping our powder dry' in case something slightly miraculous happens and someone like him happens to become free, rather than something we've been working on and hope to complete. Either way, both cases, when compared to how most other clubs do their business, really don't make us look good or, again, inspire confidence. 

26 minutes ago, The Fox said:

If we sign Kjaer we better be getting fucking Cana in too.

FWIW whilst we're playing Football Manager I sold Mustafi to Man Utd as I needed money at Valencia. In the same game, Wenger retired at the end of this season and we got Klopp in as manager from Liverpool...

24 minutes ago, BlinkyBear said:

I used to sign Toprak in FM when I played it, so that'd be a nice way of showing that my scouting abilities were bang-on <_<

As for Griezmann, the complete and utter lack of rumour about that beyond fan-chat and wishes doesn't inspire me with confidence. I assume we're 'keeping our powder dry' in case something slightly miraculous happens and someone like him happens to become free, rather than something we've been working on and hope to complete. Either way, both cases, when compared to how most other clubs do their business, really don't make us look good or, again, inspire confidence. 

I don't think we will spend that sort of money on a wide forward. If we can't sign a No9 I think we'll probably try for Mahrez or someone like that.

FWIW the "#Madness" player that everyone has been on about on Twitter is Lewandowski. If the ITKs are to be believed we have been working on that. Seems completely impossible to me though, we're probably just being played for a new contract, as usual.

If we rock up to Leicester on August 31st at 10pm 'enquiring' about Mahrez, I fully expect them to tell us to do one. 

As Fox alluded to above, a lot of fans (myself included) just feel apathetic to everything right now. There's only so much energy you can waste, being angry at the same mistakes and issues we've had, many of which go back several years. 

After my team finally winning our league on Sunday  (after making the semis 7 years in a row), trust Arsenal to take the shine off our victory...

Obviously the injuries are bad luck but why wrap Koscienly in cotton wool over the serially injured Ramsey? He only played one game more but Ramsey does far more running and is at greater risk of injury. 

The club looks underprepared and although they clearly mean to sign a couple more players, we should have been more ready.

Statiscally speaking, a team can lose 4, maybe 5 games max if they hope to win the league so we've already lost one life. Not a good start.

I'm in the same camp as several of you feeling a bit of a sense of 'meh' towards any transfer story or rumour - I don't believe anything with us until it happens. All this talk of Griezmann, Lacazzete, Mahrez etc - we all know that if we end up with anybody it will be somebody most of us have never heard of who won't be straight into the team unless the latest injury crisis requires it (and it inevitably will)

The club does feel very stale, its all like watching Dave at the moment, sure there is some good stuff but you've seen it all before. Wenger clearly isn't a Fergie type who encourages and changes his assistants to keep things fresh, so inevitably his methods which were revolutionary for years are now not having the same impact or return.

This is my first season as a season ticket holder, I should feel a bit more enthused about things I guess, but I went for the tickets as a long term thing, knowing that with Wenger and the old guard in charge you know exactly what to expect.

8 hours ago, Jonathan_Kerr said:

After my team finally winning our league on Sunday  (after making the semis 7 years in a row), trust Arsenal to take the shine off our victory...

Obviously the injuries are bad luck but why wrap Koscienly in cotton wool over the serially injured Ramsey? He only played one game more but Ramsey does far more running and is at greater risk of injury. 

The club looks underprepared and although they clearly mean to sign a couple more players, we should have been more ready.

Statiscally speaking, a team can lose 4, maybe 5 games max if they hope to win the league so we've already lost one life. Not a good start.

Kos played two more games, Ramsey was banned for the semi. Personally I wouldn't have played either

Cp-hhiYXYAAdHOB.jpg

Coupla things:

1. Any team using its left back as the creative fulcrum probably isn't gonna get too far.

2. Elneny and Coquelin don't have a line between them - this means they completed less than 3 passes to each other. Yep. Our two central midfielders successfully passed to each other twice in 67 minutes.

What a fucking shambles.

Here's some more tactical analysis for those that like that sort of thing: http://spielverlagerung.com/2016/08/15/liverpool-in-narrow-win-despite-dominant-spells/

I particularly liked this bit: "Arsenal, with their free form offensive nature. are a prime example of this. With the players being given no guidelines for a structured attack Arsenal players can be seen acting wholly out of their own will in offensive situations. While this can at times create great combinations, the lack of structure often harms the ability for their players to use their talents. It is also no surprise therefore that their attacks are inconsistent and reliant on moments, not only from game to game but from minute to minute."

Yup, sounds about right for our method of attack going back several years now.

Who'd have thought the team that used their players in the role they're meant to be used in would win. Weird.

Though there's a very good reason why we were generally keeping the ball away from our LB...

So, Liverpool in for Mustafi then. Normally I'd assume it was just a way to get more money out of us, but they need a proper defender and Klopp must be pretty tempting to work with for anyone, but doubly so if you're German.

The stadium walls will be torn down if Liverpool get him.