Arsenal

cubeadvance

Yep it's always said Wenger has full control of all footballing matters.

However as it turns out from his post-match interview, he's also got to ensure that "600 employees" get their money. No wonder he's so stressed out when he also has to do everyone's PAYE.

4 hours ago, The Fox said:

You say that like he's got his hand grasped around the purse strings, but to be fair to old Stanley he may not be interested in putting any of his own money in and is therefore no more than a parasitic investor, but there's no actual evidence that he's in any way responsible for us not using close to our full 'warchest' over the past few windows.

I more meant he could get wasted, buy him with his own money, turn up hungover at training and bundle Lewandowski out of a sack and when Wenger goes to ask Kroenke silently mimes the drinky drinky motion and stumbles back to his car and never speak of it ever again. 

There was an interesting point made on Football Weekly re. Lacazette, that every time he scores, it makes our summer look even worse. Now I know that there are many on here who don't fancy Lacazette much, some that will think the suggestion is nonsense because him scoring 5 goals in 2 games doesn't mean that he'd have done the same for us and some who will simply don't think that he's an improvement on what we've already got, but I still think the original point is valid. 

As Arseblog said, us bidding for Vardy in June shows that we want a striker. Us then apparently failing to meet the asking price for Lacazette, or if we didn't bid, failing to even formalise what should be an interest in a player who is clearly quite talented, just shows us to be weak in the market. Or, if we don't think that he was good enough for us, him scoring 5 in 2 games (again, even if the leagues are not comparable) at least shows that he's ready for the start of the season and ready to go, unlike our front 3. 

Essentially, you can argue (and I agree with the point) that him being successful (albeit in 2 games) reflects badly on us because we haven't been successful in the area that we identify and Lacazette operates in. Frankly, I don't care if he'd cost £75m at this point, we desperately need a good striker and he's not only a good one, but is clearly in form. If Lyon want that much, we have the money and that's what the market says, so just pay it. 

Also, on the defender thing; why are we trying to buy a defender? I'm going to play Devil's advocate here in that I get it and I also think we should probably be throwing money at Valencia at this point, but let's be honest, we don't actually need him, do we?

If you look at the players we've got we could potentially have 6 central defenders who've played in that position, in competitive games before:

Koscielny

Mertesacker

Gabriel

Holding

Chambers

Monreal

Now, if you take Per and Gabriel out of contention due to injury, you're down to 4. Kos being away for the start of the season due to needing a rest brings you down to 3. Nacho isn't really a CB, so you've got 2. Unfortunately, Chambers isn't really a CB either (despite a couple of games last season, I still think he'll make for a good right back) and Holding is very raw so you can either argue that we have 1 actual CB, or 3 who can play there. 

So, what do you do? Buy another CB, makes sense right? Except that Kos is back after game 2 meaning that you have 2 actual CBs and then 2 back ups for him. When the other two are back fit (albeit a while off), you've then got 4 potential back ups for the now established Kos and Holding. If you've bought another defender you've now got 5 backups for CB which is just silly and frankly a waste of squad space, plus the 20 year old you've bought in isn't getting any significant game time, nor is Chambers, and they aren't developing. 

Again, I'm being devil's advocate here and I do get it, but my point is, Mustafi, as much as I like him, should only really be bought in if we think that either Per isn't going to be back all season, if we don't trust Chambers/Holding at all (in which case why do we have them in the Club?) or, as I'd be looking to do, we offload someone (bye Gabriel) to make room. When we're desperate for at least one forward player (I'd say two, we need to get rid of Fenton as well as brining in a striker) so why bother spending time, money and effort for a short term solution in defence when it's up top that we need a serious overhaul?

We don't really need Mustafi desperately, no. We can muddle through with Chambers/Holding/Kos for a few weeks, then Gabriel comes back into contention. That said, I think Per can be mostly ruled out for the entire season and he's out of contract in the summer, so I do think we'll try to sign Mustafi, but we obviously won't pay €50m (and nor should we). If we can't get him then so be it.

I don't think Wenger is particularly arsed about Lacazette (IMO he's correct, but I know other people really rate him). There's no chance we pay £75m though for a guy who at best is barely better than Giroud (and IMO is actually worse). It doesn't matter what "the market" says, we know what Wenger is like with valuations and so on.

If we can't pull off a move for a top forward (and realistically we probably can't), I can see us trying to get someone Kallstrom-ish on loan. Hopefully without a broken spine though.

It really doesn't feel like Per has more than a season or so left at the club, he's not actually that old but he really feels it. Bringing in his long-term replacement now, with Holding as a long-term replacement for Koscielny is pretty ideal. Kos has a long-term injury as well doesn't he? Knees or something? Mustafi would get plenty of game time this season.

Gabriel was completely shit every time he played last year, he definitely cost us points and shouldn't be anywhere near the first team for my money. And it's pretty obvious that Wenger doesn't rate Chambers for whatever reason. If someone came in for him I'm sure he'd let him go.

Lacazette isn't worth £75m.

Is there any gossip about Chambers? I don't understand why Wenger doesn't seem to rate him? He's done alright the odd times his gotten the chance imo. I feel a bit sorry for him, well as much as you can feel sorry for a professional footballer nowadays..

10 minutes ago, Rev said:

10x's.

Is but one tiny ripple in an ocean of bullshit, embarrassment and faux-outrage at an attempt of 'vitality'. There are sections of our fans that need to do everyone a favour and take a long walk into some woods and stay there. 

8 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

Is there any gossip about Chambers? I don't understand why Wenger doesn't seem to rate him? He's done alright the odd times his gotten the chance imo. I feel a bit sorry for him, well as much as you can feel sorry for a professional footballer nowadays..

Gossip? Like, he fucked Wenger's dog and sent him pictures of it? 

9 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

I've not heard of anything, the fact he seems to be put in without discussion when required suggests all is well too. It's really odd, especially considering we paid a hell of a lot of money by "development" standards. The only suggestion I have other than Wenger just not rating him is that there is something in the transfer price that runs out after x number of years.

It's odd. He needs to leave ASAP, whatever the reason.

The only thing I've seen suggested is that AW thinks he's too soft to make it as a CB, which is probably a fair point. However I think his handling of him has been awful, as it has been for lots of young players in recent years sadly.

If we sign Mustafi we might let him go on loan, but if not then he'll have to waste another four months of his career on the bench I guess.

22 minutes ago, The Fox said:

The only thing I've seen suggested is that AW thinks he's too soft to make it as a CB, which is probably a fair point. However I think his handling of him has been awful, as it has been for lots of young players in recent years sadly.

If we sign Mustafi we might let him go on loan, but if not then he'll have to waste another four months of his career on the bench I guess.

With Debuchy staying as back up right back? Though given how poor Hector's been in the first two games...

am I a miserable old git now who has become a 'in my day' merchant

when I saw that he'd posted a picture of a new haircut it irritated me he was doing that whilst injured. I don't expect him to be spending 24/7 recuperating and life goes on etc, its just my initial reaction was irritation, and that made me feel old.

Som6'daysmleft in the window, what do people feel we will actually between now and the end of the window? I think we will sign a defender but don't think it will be anyone we know much about. Even if we did go out and do a "madness" I'd still be annoyed as we should've never gotten to the end of August with only signing Xhaka.

it also seems that Chambers could be going out on loan, I must admit I feel for him, he seems to knuckle down and get on with it but just isn't fancied at all. 

On 23/08/2016 at 13:28, The Fox said:

We don't really need Mustafi desperately, no. We can muddle through with Chambers/Holding/Kos for a few weeks, then Gabriel comes back into contention. That said, I think Per can be mostly ruled out for the entire season and he's out of contract in the summer, so I do think we'll try to sign Mustafi, but we obviously won't pay €50m (and nor should we). If we can't get him then so be it.

I couldn't really give a shit about Mustafi as I honestly know very little about him.  However, let me briefly summarise our current CB's.

Koscielny is quality, but injury prone.  He often has to do the work of three men as the person alongside him usually doesn't do their job properly and he never has adequate protection in front of him, especially when that brainless idiot Coquelin gets a game.

Gabriel is a shit defender with no grit or bottle.  He's also a coward and I would never play someone who's scared about getting hit by a football.  He's a fucking ponce.

Per Mertesacker is finished and should have been let go 2 years ago.  It's embarrassing having a dinosaur like him playing for us.  Opposition players run around and past him like he's not there.

Chambers has never been given a fair chance in any position.  He's still a rookie in my book and should be learning from seasoned professionals.  Not an old has-been and a ponce.

Holding shouldn't be anywhere near the first time right now.  I understand signing players with promise, but he's a prime example of a player that needs to get games under his belt at a lower level.  I don't want him learning his trade and making mistake after mistake in the first team.  Abysmal management by Wenger.

I think that's it for our CB's.  Brilliant.

Looking at his career history, he's a journeyman from the looks of things. Would be a strange signing, as you'd assume he'd be nothing more than a squad player, which isn't really what we need. We have plenty of those in the forward areas. Don't see the point in adding another, unless they're genuinely class.

My only contribution is that I know he appeared on a list of people who weren't as good on Football Manager 16 as they should be. Jamie Vardy was also on the list, so presumably that's just become a shopping list.

I'm sure I saw Deportivo play last year, but I don't remember seeing him. Basically, shrug.

This is the type of signing we could easily have made earlier in the window so I think it's fair to say we've been looking at more luxurious forwards but they haven't come off. If we look at him as Welbeck cover it seems a good signing IMO (and I think that's all Vardy would have been too; we clearly went for him due to his modest buy out clause more than anything).

edit: stats don't tell everything, no context etc etc, but clearly he did have a very good season last year: